PDA

View Full Version : Please dont get cross with me I didnt tell u to park there

Goldfish Jack
16th Feb 2004, 03:23
As a goldfish bowl operator, I have noticed recent attempts by ATNS to meet the operators to discuss how we can improve our service to the airlines/operators and handle more traffic. We all know about the new radar systems we are getting and how they will assist us to meet the increase in demand and it is good to see the airlines are also trying to come to the party, amongst other things, by reducing their time on the runway (and that alone will certainly speed things up ':D' ':ok:' ) now all we need is the third party to ACTUALLY come to the party.

Yesterday I worked and poor old SAA333 (A340-600) from FAJS arrived at 1218 and was told that his gate was not available, due to some B737 being there. He was told by Apron the delay would only be about 3-4 minutes. However the B737 in his gate, had an EOBT of 1230, which makes about 12 minutes in my estimates ':eek:'. I counted several gates available, so I do not know how they allocate gates. If they only have certain bays avail for the A340-600, why do they put a B737 in them knowing they will soon have a problem?? Why not put the B737 somewhere else?? Needless to say the poor A346 had to sit on B taxiway for 12 minutes waiting for his gate. (We even discussed him shutting down his engines and organising a tug to tow him in.)

Yet again this evening, poor old SAA365 arrived at 1840 and was told his gate was not available due to a B744 in it, with an EOBT was 1840 with a 19A slot. (This B744 had to wait for pushback as there were already 4 other a/c in the lane). So poor old SAA635 had to wait and then be told his gate was changed to A8. Great glee from pilots and off they set to A8 only to be told to go back to A1 as the B744 was now pushing back from A1!! Boy oh boy was that pilot happy - as he said there are 3 bays on the A side open. If ACSA could move his gate from A1 to A8, surely they could have given them A8 in the beginning and you would have a very happy customer. By the time the poor pilot got to A1 he was so tense he could hardly talk. ':ugh:'

And then there was another B737 who was given B1, but there was an IL76 there. Luckily for him he was moved to A11 almost outside the arrival building, so that saved them a few rands ( no buses, etc etc etc). At least this pilot was happy as he was much closer to the buildings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ':8"

And to just round the whole evening off, SAA369 is given A3 but the same IL76 is in his way, so off the Apron to negotiate another bay and he is given A8 - POLE position right outside the arrivals building!!!!!!!!!!!! Why not give the SAA369 A8 at the outset and then it would not be a problem. At least he is also happy!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Picture the scene as an engineer races across the apron to meet the aircraft persued by many buses, and ground vehicles etc ) ':uhoh:'

As my colleague, says what do they smoke in that office??? ':confused:'

All I ask, please pilots, is do not take your frustrations out with us in the tower, we have NOTHING TO DO WITH GATE ALLOCATIONS. It is an ACSA problem and we have nothing to do with it. So if you have a problem with your gate, don't mutter at the ground controller, but at ACSA. We are trying out best to pre-empt their shambles, and juggle your taxi routes and tell you to call apron for another gate, but we can't get it right all the time.

And it is only going to get worse as they are expanding the apron and wont give us a bypass taxiway.

I recommend that EACH and EVERY TIME you ENTER the apron you contact APRON again and confirm that your gate is still available. You never know you might be moved from B1 to A8 (at least some things some times get better in Africa). ':ok:'

ACSA- I thought it stood for Airports CO of SA, not A COMPLETELY SHAMBOLIC AIRPORT !!!!

Oh well back to my work ':bored:', at least night shifts are no longer boring!!!!!

ANVAK
16th Feb 2004, 17:06
Maybe we should just call all our aeries E-20's .... then we can park where we like, when we like and tough for the poor sod behind us....
:D

Rhodie
18th Feb 2004, 15:32
Morning there GJ

The article below was in the Jhb Star last night - not only did you make the papers, but we know that the reporters are keeping an eye on prune...!

SOUTH AFRICA

Passengers have long wait on air bridge
February 17, 2004

By Lee Rondganger

Nearly 100 British Airways passengers, upon arriving at Johannesburg International Airport, found themselves - quite literally - up in the air.

The passengers became stuck for nearly half an hour on an air bridge, an elevated tunnel that leads from the aircraft to the airport building, apparently due to a technical problem - and were then upbraided for it.

The Star journalist Estelle Ellis, who was on the Sunday evening flight, said that as the passengers were getting off the plane, they noticed that the air bridge exit door, leading to the terminal, was shut.

"We waited for about half an hour and then this woman came and shouted at us for standing on the walkway. When we asked why the door had not opened, she said it was because the pilot did not call the control tower when he landed."

Both British Airways and the Airports Company of SA denied this, saying there had been a technical problem with the air bridge door.

The Professional Pilots Rumour Network - a website dedicated to the views of pilots and other personnel involved in air traffic - reported yesterday that Johannesburg International Airport was besieged with "parking" problems over the weekend.

On Saturday afternoon, an SAA plane was reportedly made to wait for 12 minutes for its gate because there was another aircraft parked in its place.

On Sunday night, another SAA plane was made to turn around at its allocated gate to go to another and then made to go back to its original gate.

Gate allocation for aircraft at Johannesburg International is controlled by the Airports Company of SA and not by ground controllers.

LOVE the bit about the pilot not having called the control tower before he landed - if I tried that me and my licence would soon be seperated, I'm sure..

When did you transfer to FAJS, Goldfish - seems the reporter thinks this was the case..!

Seems like ACSA employing really calss A ass:mad:ole's...

Enjoy

R

George Tower
18th Feb 2004, 16:57
this isn't the first time that the press have got hold of something here and reported it as fact. Remember that about a year ago a similar thing happened regarding an airprox somewhere over Africa.

Why is it that when it comes to anything aviation related the press the world over just report sensationalist rubbish.

Rhodie
18th Feb 2004, 18:50
Greetings GT

Must agree with you on the sensationalist stuff - we all know that aeri's make the news - well, not always - my electrical fire in a C210 never made the news, nor did the engine out and subsequent emergency make the news - but then on both these, I landed safely - no fuss no lights and no cameras...

But let the trolley fall over on a heavy and it has been a near catas, uh, catastroph, uh disaster in the air...!! :confused:

In GJ's case tho' - any sh1te coming down on ACSA and imbeciles who work there (see the 'call the tower' quote) is great. They need a wake-up call nowadays.. :*

Ah well - like the Surf ad says - "new and improved" :E

Cheers

George Tower
18th Feb 2004, 19:19
Just over a year ago I made a forced lob at FAUP due to a loss of power after take off. Landed safely +/- 2 miles away from FAUP. The airport despatched the fire service to resue us (no damage to persons or a/c).

ACSA sent the flying club a bill for the expenses they incurred after they had to call the CAA, police etc, on my behalf. I was pretty disgusted with ACSA and the way I was treated by them at Upington. However the folks in the tower were first class and very helpful when I delt with them.

Anyway I have a broader question/comment now. I'm not sure whether ACSA is still state owned or has been privatised (anyone care to answer), but I'd like to see airports being run by local people and businesses. That way I'm sure that the running of airports would be more efficent and management would be more accountable to the people that actually use the airport i.e. pax and operators.

Goldfish Jack
19th Feb 2004, 16:14
Hey Rhodie

Agree with you about the press - pity they got the place wrong. Well maybe we should put this forum to more use and get more miles out of the press. (Take the Pilots out of PPrune and put in press!!). Ps whoever reads this from the press - the parking problems are not at Joberg but elsewhere - now READ CAREFULLY IN FUTURE

Shame poor old BA - they are obviously the target of the month - they had to sit on Tues morning and wait for about 15 mins for a gate here as well!!!!! (Or maybe it was ACSA striking back at BA!!)

Sorry to hear about your fees from ACSA, but it does not surprise me in the least. They have to be the most incompetent company I have EVER dealt with and they clearly have no clue what they are doing. They never miss an opportunity to charge anyone for anything - no wonder they make such massive profits.

What they should be doing it focusing their attention on customer delivery and satisfaction. The shambles on the apron is one of the main reasons for aircraft delays - it happens every day that aircraft are delayed and we have to take the rap, but it is not us - it is the zoo operator. They put aircraft next to each other on the apron all with the same EOBT and then expect us to manage miracles and get them all moving at the same time. I tell you ATNS should take over the apron allocation and then things will go much more smoother. (I hope - colleagues take note here is a challenge!!)

A little bit of pre-planning is all that is required and a bit of logic - which is something that is clearly lacking there.

I wonder if the ACSA management know that aircraft use their property and what they do there? It appears to me they would rather be riping off the customer and general public with exhorbatent fees than making sure the aircraft can move around the airport - after all if it was not for the aircraft they would not have the fancy buildings with the fancy shops and the fancy prices and the fancy profits.

I always laugh at their annual Feather awards - when they hand out these fancy awards to their customers for service delivery, etc etc - they should also hold an annual raspberry and toffee award and they would win it themselves every year!!!!!

jeroen_kim
20th Feb 2004, 13:50
just a question how much do ACSA actually charge for aircraft parking, I pay my guard at pick n pay about 2 rand an hour

27Foxtrot
21st Feb 2004, 21:03
GFJ, but don't you know the only airport that exists in South Africa is FAJS?

27F

Death From Above
22nd Feb 2004, 15:43
"They have to be the most incompetent company I have EVER dealt with and they clearly have no clue what they are doing."

If this comes from someone working for ATNS, then ACSA must be REALLY bad.

early
23rd Feb 2004, 12:06
Howzit GFJ, jy weet wie ek is. If someone knows how ACSA allocate the parking bays please let me know. Asseblief tog.
I cannot begin to understand what goes on in that office.:confused: Why when a B737 lands RWY19 and vacates
TWY E is the bay number changed 3 times before eventually deciding that the parking bay is not A8 nor A12 but A11.
Surely if Air Malaysia lands and is given bay A3 it has got to be
vacant( not at Cape Town International my friend ). What happens after this aircraft is delayed in morning peak traffic for
15 minutes before finally reaching a parking bay? Is ATNS blamed?
I would love to know because when these glipsies take place I
work my f:mad: ing backside off to fix the shambles.
PS.
Foxtrot27 you need broaden your horizon man, HA HA HA

3rd Mar 2004, 04:53
If ACSA is struggling now with parking bay allocation, then I dont want to see what happens when the traffic picks up further. According to IATA, pax tfc is up by 4,4% and freight tfc up 11,2% globally. I am sure that some of that tfc will end up in CPT some or other time. Apron office watch out. Huh??:confused: