PDA

View Full Version : Freezes on start

Flying Farmer
15th Feb 2004, 19:08
Seem to be having my fair share of problems after installing some programs.
Was the proud owner of the doom virus(yep I know dont open the attachments) and have since downloaded 3 programs which may be causing a conflict.
On start up my computer stops responding at the line, Verifying DMI Pool Data, and then will only start in safe mode.
Programs installed are AVG AntiVirus,Spy Bot remover and updated drivers for Alcatel Speedtouch 330.
With these 3 removed the computer is back to normal.
Any ideas on which may be causing the conflict and any work around available to be able to use them.

Many thanks in advance,

Flying F

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Feb 2004, 10:18
Flying Farmer,

I believe you have several threads running now. It is hard to keep track, especially with the Search Feature of these forums disabled most of the time. It would really help to have all the specs of your hardware, OS, and Power Supply in one thread.

Take Care,

Richard

Flying Farmer
16th Feb 2004, 14:42
Richard many thanks for the reply,

The computer in question is made by Advent, around 3 years old and the spec as far as I know as follows,
Pentium 111 500 Mhz chip
Aopen MX6B motherboard
Aopen PA3020 graphic card
Windows Me
D drive is a DVD/CDRom
E drive is a CDRomRW
no idea about the power supply

due to the problem a full format was carried out a couple of days ago, with the problem then reappearing with one or other of the programs mentioned installed.

Many thanks

Flying F

rustle
16th Feb 2004, 15:27
FF

Have you reloaded the AOpen motherboard drivers since rebuilding? The Alacatel DSL modem (USB) is looking for USB2.0 support, which the AOpen drivers will give you...

Suggest you start in safe mode and remove the DSL modem

Then start normally and install the MX6B motherboard drivers (usually on the CD that came with the PC or available from the AOpen website - "VIA 4-in-1" they are called [or something similar])

Reboot and reinstall the DSL modem -- is this the BTOpenworld modem with BT software?

HTH

Flying Farmer
16th Feb 2004, 16:06
Thanks for the help rustle,
the problem arises when one of three programs are installed, these are AVG AntiVirus,Spy Bot remover or the updated drivers for Alcatel Speedtouch 330 Modem.
None of these are currently installed, will install each in turn and try to replicate the problem, hopefully i can identify which one causes the conflict.
Many thanks

Flying F

edit for Rustle: after the format and reinstalling Windows Me the graphics card and motherboard drivers were the next to be installed.

ORAC
16th Feb 2004, 18:54
Did you FDISK your machine when you reloaded your system, or just reformat? If you didn't delete the partition using FDISK you could still have a virus in the MBR , or just a corrupt MBR.

Run through this checklist (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm) and check all your BIOS settings. If that doesn't work, go back and start again from scratch using FDISK to delete the present partitions first.

You can then update your BIOS and drivers from here (http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads/default.asp?keyword=MX6B&Software=All&searchoption=keyword&sel=category&Go.x=22&Go.y=7) with the latest versions.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Feb 2004, 23:49
Flying Farmer,

Freezing on start with WinME usually means a driver is loading that WinME does not like or a hardware conflict. With your system, the power supply is not critical, so do not worry about getting the details off of it.

Do try the latest VIA 4in1 Drivers (http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300). They should be loaded before you install any other drivers for your system when doing a fresh install.

If you can get into WinME via Safe Mode, do so and uninstall all drivers. Then boot normally and see if you can get into Windows. Once in, load the 4in1 Drivers and then load the Video and Sound Drivers.

Take Care,

Richard

Flying Farmer
17th Feb 2004, 19:15
Many thanks Orac and Richard

Will try these and see if it helps

Flying F