PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Wardens

greatorex
15th Feb 2004, 19:06
Was walking along one of our local streets when I spotted a traffic warden giving a ticket to a car parked illegally on a double yellow line.

Now, I have no problem with the fact that he was ticketing a car on a double yellow line but the thing was, his own little scooter was parked directly behind the car that he was ticketing on the very same double yellow line!! :*

I decided that I would have a little word with him and point out the error of his ways and he replied: "I control the streets around here, not you. So stop wasting your time and go home", then jumped on his scooter and rode off!!!!!!!!!!

He annoyed me so much that I took down his number and have dispatched a letter to Lambeth Council, suggesting that they might like to make a donation to Cancer Research for £80 (or £40 if paid within 14 days) to make amends. . . .

Watch this space, will keep you posted of any developments. . . . .

Cheers,

G

Onan the Clumsy
15th Feb 2004, 21:57
Where should ha have parked his scooter then?

(apart from the obvious of course)

greatorex
15th Feb 2004, 22:45
Where should ha have parked his scooter then? In one of the many parking bays a little way up the road. . . . .

(apart from the obvious of course) LOL!!! :D

G

M.Mouse
15th Feb 2004, 23:23
Much as we all dislike the officious variety of traffic warden can you imagine what the streets would be like when people won't walk any distance at all if they can get away with it.

Witness the street outside a school at closing time!

I doubt that the traffic warden's scooter was creating an obstruction and your objection and subsequent letter seems more spiteful than legitimate.

You will be saying that policeman shouldn't break speed limits when attending an armed robbery next.

mattpilot
15th Feb 2004, 23:35
i agree - its a stupid arguement

Onan the Clumsy
15th Feb 2004, 23:40
I wouldn't say stupid as much as...on reflection, the situation was caused by the driver of the illegally parked car and the warden had to give him a ticket, which meant that he had to (temporarilkly) park, in the street, on the pavement or in the same illegal zone.

Of course, in answer to your question, he could have been a bit more responsive in his reply, but I'm sure as a traffic warden, any sense of humour with which you start the job, disappears almost immediately.

M.Mouse, I think has a good reply. (well the first two paras at least) :)

greatorex
15th Feb 2004, 23:54
You will be saying that policeman shouldn't break speed limits when attending an armed robbery next. A very poor analogy if I may say so M.M. An armed robbery is a serious and potentially life-threatening incident that needs whatever reasonable but safe response required by highly trained, police drivers.

This is matter of what is fundamentally right. As I said above, I have no problem with the fact that if you park illegally, you get a ticket – simple! But why should it be a case of “do as I say, not as I do” for traffic wardens?

Rules exist and they apply to everyone, otherwise they don’t work, fact! We, as pilots, have our professional lives governed by SOP’s, rules and laws – some of which are essential for the safety of ourselves and others, some we may think bureaucratic nonsense – but we abide by them because that is our professional duty. I fail to see why it should be any different for a traffic warden who is, after all, allegedly employed to uphold the law.

G

Little Blue
16th Feb 2004, 00:48
So you are justifiying that Traffic Wardens are above the law?
"Do as I say, not as I do ?"
There can never be any justification for a Warden to park on doubles...
Bring back the cat...!

Little Blue
16th Feb 2004, 01:14
Ok..so the guy was illegally parked, but in the course of his duty
the Warden also broke the law...
So who is the wrongdoer?..They both were..
How hard can it be for the Warden to park his scooter..legally around the corner and then carry out his ticket slapping ?
And you cannot compare this situation with that of the Police
carying out their duty....entirely different state of affairs...

greatorex
16th Feb 2004, 01:14
zerouali,
What was he meant to do with the scooter, fold it up and put it in his pocket? As I said earlier, simply park the thing in one of the free parking places that were not 50 yards away - I'm sorry, but it's that simple!

By your reasoning ("he was just doing his job") does it mean that, say delivery drivers are allowed to park on double yellows when there is a no-waiting/unloading restriction in force because they are "just doing their job"? I think you'd have a hard time convincing a traffic warden of that! Infact, look here:

Link that now hopefully works!! (http://tinyurl.com/yvk6z)

for an example by the very same council where your argument appears to fall down!!!

Police are entitled to do various things in the course of their duty that would get Joe Public nicked, As I said above, the police ARE entirely different. We are talking here, about an employee of a private company that the Local Council have given the contract to, to control parking - NOT the police! :rolleyes:

G

greatorex
16th Feb 2004, 01:24
zerouali,

Damn 'puters - almost as bad as traffic wardens!!! :D ;)

Try THIS (http://tinyurl.com/yvk6z)

G

Onan the Clumsy
16th Feb 2004, 02:01
but in the course of his duty the Warden also broke the law... Who says? have you read the municipal code? Maybe it says traffic wardens can park there temporarilly if they are writing a ticket (but not while they get a cup of coffee).

By your reasoning, if the nearest empty spot wasn't fifty yards away, but say a mile away. How would the warden ever be able to give a ticket for the illegal vehicle? It would become a de facto legal parking space, and guess who'd be the first person to complain that the roads in that town were impassable. ;)

greatorex
16th Feb 2004, 05:08
have you read the municipal code? Bleedin' Hell Onan, you've been in The States too long, mate!

It's Lambeth Council we're talking about here. . . . . They couldn't even spell 'Municipal'!!!! :D ;) :D ;)

Cheers,

G

Onan the Clumsy
16th Feb 2004, 06:19
Double LOL :ok:

Sometimes I think I have been here too long :(