PDA

View Full Version : Ryanait to cut the frills

Gouabafla
15th Feb 2004, 16:06
According to today's Sunday Times, Ryanair is going to streamline its aircraft and its service even further.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1001927,00.html

I guess it makes sense, given the model that Ryanair follow, though I'm not sure about the luggage bit.

SLF
15th Feb 2004, 16:53
Those internal changes seem pretty sensible to me - who needs reclining seats on short haul anyway? Guess they'll fix the safety instructions to the back of the seats, and hand out sick bags on request. This could of course make turn around a little slow after bumpy sectors ;)

Not sure about baggage handling - it takes long enough to board with hand baggage only. Presumably if you couldn't handle your own bags, at STN they'd put them in a wheelchair for you...?

Avman
15th Feb 2004, 19:36
Yet another good reason to avoid flying with Ryanair. Maybe they'll just take the seats out next!

Boss Raptor
15th Feb 2004, 20:09
Finally MOL loses touch with reality...the seats, window blinds etc. I can accept but the baggage idea where pax are encouraged to take everything as hand luggage in the cabin - does MOL not read safety/security briefings/guidelines post 9/11?

Dont get caught behind a Ryanair flight at departures security then!

SLF
15th Feb 2004, 21:12
Boss - I'm sure he has the bus analogy in mind, with separate racking areas. And who's to say that a model which charges (say) £1 per kilo up to 25kg is a bad idea? Cue lots of pax wearing rather a lot of clothes...;)

I'm not a MOL fan particulatly, but before anyone else complains about low frills, just try going by peak time train - unreliable, overpriced, and I'm sure the rail safety record no longer compares well with flying.

Boss Raptor
15th Feb 2004, 22:05
U may well be right SLF...by all means charge pax for the amount of luggage they bring but make sure it goes in the hold...we'll end up with the farcical carry-on luggage that still seems to be allowed into the cabin on US domestic flights...then of course MOL will start to moan about the bins and latches getting broken :confused:

christep
16th Feb 2004, 00:01
As I read the article they were suggesting something more radical - which I took to be access to the hold space from the cabin. In principle, why shouldn't everyone have a storage space under their seat with some sort of lift up hatch for example?

Boss Raptor
16th Feb 2004, 00:48
Many many reasons, structurally weakening the floor and anchor points for the seats, loss of fire zone integrity...I could go one and on...and after all everyone piling their own baggage in is going to damage the interior of Mr. MOL's acft even more

As I read the article MOL wants to encourage everyone to cram as much as possible in as hand baggage just as they do in the States

Gonzo
16th Feb 2004, 01:53
Yeah, not too sure about his ideas on baggage!

Boss - I'm sure he has the bus analogy in mind, with separate racking areas.

You never know, maybe someday we'll get an aeroplane designer include an area for people to put their baggage......maybe they'll call it the hold? :O

Gouabafla
16th Feb 2004, 03:11
Before anyone else does, I'd like to point out that I misspolled the title of this thread. Serves me right for logging on before my coffee in the morning.

SLF
16th Feb 2004, 03:47
Duo (and Maersk before them) out of Brum offer a "valet service", where you can drop your carry-on at the foot of the steps and collect it the other end, due to small bins on the CRJs. This circumvents the waiting that is the worst part of checked baggage, and I'm sure reduces the amount of handling. Can't quite see 160 Pax waiting in the rain though...:ooh:

Pax Vobiscum
16th Feb 2004, 05:13
Boss Raptor, you must have been on Aeroflot ILWs where you board through the 'downstairs' cargo area ...