PDA

View Full Version : Really economy

Rollingthunder
15th Feb 2004, 13:54
Ryanair is to order future aircraft with non-reclining seats (saves GBP 1.3 million a year in repair costs), no window blinds and will replace headrest covers with one's carrying other company's advertising (saves money - generates revenue). They also plan to have pax carry their own luggage to the aircraft reasoning passengers already do this when getting a coach. This raises some questions in my mind about how the elderly and infirm would manage.

HZ123
15th Feb 2004, 14:46
Not so new Aeroflot designed the IL 86 with a view to passengers carrying on their luggage and then stowing it in the allocated position numbered the same as their seat. Surely his assumption you transport your case yourself most of the time is spot on. I concur that the elderly will have to pay a la 'the wheelchair' news item.

Anthony Carn
15th Feb 2004, 17:54
This raises some questions in my mind about how the elderly and infirm would manage.
I'll be allright.........it's pushing and pulling the controls that gives me the real jip. :ugh:

But thanks for the concern, young man.

surely not
15th Feb 2004, 18:23
Should be fun watching the pax crawling in and out of a 737 hold:D :D

This should result in all checked bags weighing somewhere near the 13 kgs allowed on the loadsheet. Oh the fun as they try to lift the bag to sill height, and the injury claims for bu##ered backs.

Onan the Clumsy
15th Feb 2004, 21:59
Anthony He didn't mean the mentally infirm :p

Jack.D
15th Feb 2004, 23:14
Would this not cause a security problem?

Boss Raptor
15th Feb 2004, 23:53
The IL86 facility is for cabin baggage stowage only and not/never intended for hold baggage which is still loaded conventionally in the baggage holds. These built in stairs and lower floor hand baggage vestibules are deactivated on most IL86 as they have been refitted with western standard overhead bins etc. The removal of these areas/airstairs saves quiet a lot of weight. The original concept being loading pax. at airports with minimal ground equipment.

Capt.KAOS
16th Feb 2004, 00:15
And there are rumors that the F/O's will be replaced by inflatable ones.

Send Clowns
16th Feb 2004, 00:56
Michael O'Leary told The Sunday Times: "People are happy to carry a bag on to buses so why not on to airlines?" Ermmmm, forgive me if I am being stupid here, but I never travel long distances with much luggage by bus. Last time I travelled with National Express on a coach the driver took my large luggage and stowed it in the baggage compartment (cleverly built under the passenger compartment) and recovered said items after a safe, comfortable journey, although unfortunately we never got above Ryanair taxy speeds.

airship
16th Feb 2004, 02:23
Capt. KAOS wrote And there are rumors that the F/O's will be replaced by inflatable ones. ...to be followed by inflatable F/As :=

Roghead
16th Feb 2004, 03:54
Seems like MOL's got it right again.Pax with only hand luggage (good anti- terrorist action)- speeds up turn rounds, eliminates the wheelies(here I declare an interest-see Ryannair loses court case thread in Passengers and SLF) and provides an all round, jolly good egg, economy service.If only I could believe the postings and see a development of the inflatables idea.

Boss Raptor
16th Feb 2004, 04:00
Pax with as much hand luggage as they can possibly get away with ala US domestic flights, long waits at security, cabin full of people trying to stuff their bulging bags into MOL's overhaed bins...breaking his bins and latches in the process...by all means set up a tariff where u pay for hold luggage by the kg. but then wait for all the probs as it gets stuffed into the cabin :confused:

Tuba Mirum
16th Feb 2004, 19:56
This may not be the right forum to ask in, but isn't there the possibility of some sort of C of G problem with all that luggage stowed high up, and nothing to counterbalance it in the hold?

avoman
17th Feb 2004, 15:42
No. Realistically overhead bins are nearly filled already. Heavier items must always travel in the holds. There are design and safety limits for the bins.
I do not like MOL but some of these challenging ideas are to be applauded.
The present manner of loading baggage is not wonderful for minimising cost and passenger time. Surely something different for short haul and low cost operations can be devised?The standard procedure remains appropriate for long haul. Lots of people (passengers), most of them able-bodied, are standing around immediately before and after flight with some time on their hands. A resource going to waste?
As for the other ideas I daresay his competitors will pooh-pooh them for now. However I predict in ten years or less all low cost carriers will have non recline seats, headrest cover adverts and no seat pockets.
This is a bus service! Most people are looking merely to travel on time, safely and cheaply. The image of well dressed passengers attended by flunkeys in luxurious surroundings still hangs over this industry, a relic of forty or fifty years ago. It's gone!

Taildragger55
17th Feb 2004, 16:37
I met a women who had migrated to Australia by flying boat circa 1950, with the uniformed flunkies, nights in the peninsula, etc.
I'd love to do it that way myself.

But I'm damned if I'd pay what it would have to cost.

Anthony Carn
17th Feb 2004, 18:01
Most people are looking merely to travel on time, safely and cheaply
I guess two out of three ain't bad. :rolleyes:

:uhoh:

(For a clue and one example see http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112813)

Grainger
17th Feb 2004, 18:22
Good point, avoman: Hmmm, lots of able-bodied passengers... Resource going to waste....

This is giving me an idea . . .

Why waste money on expensive jet fuel when you could get everyone to stick their arms out of the windows and flap really hard ? ;)

avoman
17th Feb 2004, 21:18
Better still we eliminate the tiresome and expensive refuellers.
All pax to arrive with a jerry can of kerosene and a funnel!

eko4me
17th Feb 2004, 22:57
Pax with too much hand/check-in luggage? :*

Charge everyone by the kg - they and everything they want to drag on the aircraft goes on the scales.

All-i-all, I reckon that will make cheaper for me to travel. :hmm: