PDA

View Full Version : KLN89B Database updates

busconductor
15th Feb 2004, 13:43
To date I have updated the database on my KLN89B by downloading the file from the Bendix-King Wingman site and connecting the computer via the serial port to a jack connection on the instrument panel. No problem, except the old laptop has died and the new laptop does not have a serial port, only USB

I have tried a serial/USB adaptor, but the computer cannot recognise the GPS unit.

Any ideas on how to get round this problem??

I have emailed Bendix-King but to date no reply. (Long w/e in the US)

swh
15th Feb 2004, 15:03
BC

I assume you have tried something like this http://www.sewelldirect.com/usbtoserial.asp?s=google&g=cp3ag7&a=use_usb_as_serial which is the cable and drivers ?

I also assume you have a maintenance authority to do the database updates.

KLN94
15th Feb 2004, 17:03
Busconductor, I had exactly the same problem as you and also did not receive reply from Bendix King. I gave up in exasperation because I had to upload the database in order to keep it legal. So I ressurrected my old laptop with the serial port and use this now only for uploading GPS databses.

KLN94

Wheeler
16th Feb 2004, 18:20
swh,

Do I need an maintenance authority to change a database??? or is that just some KLN89B wierd thing?

What about the Garmin databases, whereby you remove the card yourself, download the data, direct from Jeppesen, onto the card and then refit the card yourself?

And everyone thought it was great when GPS could be substituted for DME. I can't help wondeingr if anyone is using GPS with not quite up to date database or database not downloaded by someone with a maintenance authority.

busconductor
17th Feb 2004, 07:09
Some progress has been made! For the info of those with similar problem.

I downloaded Version 1.4 of the database loader from Wingman. This has a help section addressing the issue of installing a USB to Serial Adapter, including Troubleshooting.

It is clear that not all adapters will work. I have tried two to date without success.The help page suggests three which do work, the Belkin F5U103, the iConcepts 60446 and Part number 26183 from the Radio Shack.

I also received an email back from Bendix/King suggesting using the Radio Shack adapter.

Unfortunately Radio Shack do not do international orders via their web site, but I have ordered one to be delivered to a friend in the US who can send it on.

Fingers crossed.

swh
17th Feb 2004, 08:58
Wheeler,

Some form of training is required, see the below link to AWB 34-1, the maintenance authority system has been to taken out. (Sorry for feeding you old info).

The GPS database update IS aircraft maintenance, and needs to be recorded on the M/R.

The GPS expiry date for an IFR aircraft should also be stated on the M/R, when the database expires a pilots cannot conduct a GPSNPA in IMC except in an emergency.

Edit :
onthedials suggested that I revise this to include CASA's AWB 34-1 Issue 1, 5 April 2001 (http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/aircraft/AWB/34/001.htm) for class B aircraft, as what I have written above might confuse class B pilots.

Thanks onthedials

Wheeler
18th Feb 2004, 17:27
swh,

Thanks for that - interesting reading, if quite frankly bloody rediculous. To mandate a maintenance authority for taking out a data card and replacing it, when the unit will most definitely give error messages as well as the expiry date of the data update is. well, a bit of overkill to say the least. I have not seen an MR yet updated with 'data base such ad such installed' and properly signed off.

When in reality some might be under the rather sad mistaken view that as long as their database is dated later than the current DAPS NPA Approach they are using, they can fly the NPA and worse still, I suggest some are using VFR GPS 100 and the like with databases perhaps years out of date for en-route IFR , and GPS arrivals and now probably using same GPS in place of DME, well those rules look even sillier. Of course, none of this is defensible, but is there any point in having rulles that are just not enforceable?

There are of course two problems 1. The databases are just too expensive for many operators and 2 . If they need to go through all that to change one, it does not really encourage anyone to do it properly.

Thanks again for the legal line. Not sure if you make the rules or just apply them - just letting off steam!