PDA

View Full Version : Email from the shadow transport minister

contrails03
15th Feb 2004, 11:39
Got a reply from Martin Ferguson the other day after emailing him about my concerns with the NAS airspace.

Will pop an email off to Bernie Smith too. Hope this encourages everyone else to send one off.

Contrails::::::::::::::::::::::::

Email:

Thank you for your email of 2 February concerning the Howard Government’s new National Airspace System and I appreciate your contacting me about this issue.

Like you, the Federal Opposition has expressed concerns about the safety of our skies and the competence of the Minister for Transport and Regional Services to administer Australia’s air safety system.

The Minister has said this was a safer system, but that view is discredited.

There are also serious questions about whether Airservices Australia and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority were rigorous enough in their safety assessments of the NAS before it was implemented.

So far as I am concerned the skies must be made safe through the removal of the Minister’s Airspace Reform Group and changes that return the system to one ensuring the safety of our skies. Let’s hope that the review of the system by Airservices Australia produces such an outcome.

In light of the pending changes by Airservices Australia I suggest you also forward your views directly to:

Mr Bernie Smith

Chief Executive Officer

Airservices Australia

GPO Box 367

CANBERRA ACT 2600

www.airservices.gov.au

Yours sincerely,

MARTIN FERGUSON

Shadow Minister for Urban and Regional Development,

Transport and Infrastructure