PDA

View Full Version : Helo Logging ....

Steve76
15th Feb 2004, 11:01
I would like to hear from current or past logging pilots, what their pay and conditions are like.

Would it be possible to also enquire as to the best way to get into the logging scene. I have heard that shakeblocks are the way in the door.

What is your experience and how do you like your job?

I am interested in the west coast of Canada and also the touring jobs. The guy who taught me to fly toured out of Malaysia on the crane and set the bug from the onset.

Kinda getting bored of the flat land of Ontario.

If you are interested I will gladly tell you how to snag an IFR jobbie in return....:p

Thanks in advance.

Granny
15th Feb 2004, 21:29
Why dont you just ask the guy that trained you?

Steve76
15th Feb 2004, 21:39
Gee....hadn't thought of that.
:p

Lost touch with him.....
Somewhere in Asia I think....Erickson have lot of work around the world.

donut king
15th Feb 2004, 22:49
From friends of mine,

Try applying for their 206/500...whatever a/c that they use, chasing the chokers. Friends of mine flew those jobs to build up their op's experience.... then got on as co-jo on the heavy a/c.

Sorry, not sure how those companies would handle an experienced IFR driver on twins, like yourself.

Heard 50- 65k p/a chasing chokers, dependent on lumber industry though!!

D.K

whatsarunway
16th Feb 2004, 07:38
What is a choker?

Nothing to do with chickens i hope!

donut king
16th Feb 2004, 10:21
Hi ...runaway!

Basically, they are the cables/ lanyards/ straps...etc that the ground tree fallers attach to the tree trunks. Then the a/c longline is hooked onto these for lifting.

Hope that helps!

D.K

rotornut
16th Feb 2004, 19:27
Steve,
One of your guys at Buttonville told me a few years ago that you can get into co-pilot's seat of a 76 with 500 hours and an IR. Is this still true?

Steve76
17th Feb 2004, 03:02
Yep.
You also need your ATPL's written. PM me if you want more details.
Cheers,
Steve

Randy_g
18th Feb 2004, 00:31
Steve, you might think of moving west (lower taxes, and car insurance out here too !!!), and getting some production long-line, and mountain time first. When I looked into logging a few years back, all were looking for guys with production line (the longer the line the better) time. You could also try the operators running the 214's, as they use low-time (I know you're not really a low-timer) guys for co-pilots.

Cheers

WLM
18th Feb 2004, 21:58
Hey Steve76
Saw the Erickson Crane boys at the airport the other day, on a crew change. Basically Malaysia only use trained pilot/engineer and experienced from our discussion (most ex defence trained), 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off, living out of logging camps. They were using a single engined Huey for most of the work.What is wrong with your present job? Oz is starting to look for experienced twin IFR drivers, so why not go that way?
Cheers:O

Bomber ARIS
19th Feb 2004, 03:48
WLM,

I´m interested in knowing more about those twin IFR jobs on Oz that you mentioned...

Steve76,

I´d also be interested in knowing what´s up with the Canadian EMS gig.(It's something I came very close to doing, once upon a time, and I'd very much respect your view on things)

Excuse the nosiness, but I'm in one of those career-changing moods today:{

Thanks

Steve76
19th Feb 2004, 07:06
Yeah... I am in one of those career changing moods this month :)

What's the score with the EMS. Not much at the moment. No real movement but there is always something happening eventually.

To get in here you need 500hrs command and IFR and ATPL written. There seems a surplus of Captains at the moment so direct entry is pretty much unavailable. Most new hires go to one of our remote bases and the guys there get the shot at the city jobs. They deserve it. Generally, you can expect 6 - 12 months in the remote area before a position comes up. Even then thou, you may find you are usurped internally by someone from VFR division with lots of company time.

Most guys are flying 200 to 300hrs a year and a few are doing a lot less than that. Depends a lot on your schedule. It will take you 4 - 5yrs to get to a command position.

All and all it is a great job. Depending on where you fly you can get a lot of procedural IFR during the spring and autumn. The flying is average with a lot of hospital transfers but about 25% is calls to accidents and associated type carnage. The guys up north get to drive the 76 into a lot of places that Nick never imagined this machine to do. A lot of the work would be more suited to a 212 or similarily rugged machine.
If you like the "hurry up, get ready and wait" approach to work then this is a great job.

PM me Aris for a chat,
Cheers,
Steve

HeloTeacher
19th Feb 2004, 22:47
rotornut and ARIS,

don't forget the pay. Last I had good information on it, the annual salary for said copilots had come UP to CAD 21,000.

Another big item to consider.

The rest of the comments I agree with.

Steve76
19th Feb 2004, 23:01
Pay is $35 - 40K and that is the norm around the planet. Or at least the small planet I am from....:hmm:

HeloTeacher
20th Feb 2004, 20:52
That's good news for the guys there, but are you sure?

A 500 hr co-pilot comes in at level A or D (whichever is lower) and that was a HECK of a lot lower then 35K a couple years ago. I find it hard to believe that the CHL management would come around that much.

Ontario EMS has certainly NOT had the higher pay as the norm for their lower time copilots in the past and many guys have had a rude awakening to the cost of living in some of these places.

That's why I ask.