PDA

View Full Version : Stapleford and Astraeus

Funkie
15th Feb 2004, 05:23
Can anyone, or a representative from Astraeus, comment on the advert placed in the Flight Training section of the March edition of Flyer magazine?

There is an advert for 0hrs - B737, with 100hrs line training in conjunction with Stapleford Flight Centre for £49,995.

Is this SFC’s standard Ab-initio - (F)ATPL course offered by SFC, with a type rating and line training conducted by Bond/Astraeus?

I’ve searched through both the Astraeus and Stapleford website, but there is no reference to the advert placed in Flyer, or the linked courses.

Purely speculative, however I assume that the aim of the course is to provide a cadet to Astraeus who, depending on performance, may be kept on after the 100hrs. If not, the cadet is let loose into the market with a (F)ATPL, B737 rating and 100hrs line training. Seems like a good deal for crica £50k, considering the cost of the Oxford APP.

A seminar is to be held in April, so my name will be down for that.

Funkie:ok:

BillieBob
15th Feb 2004, 08:08
There was a thread on here not so long ago concerning the success (or lack of it) of Astraeus training. It might be wise to do a search before shelling out this sort of money.

AIRWAY
15th Feb 2004, 21:52
Hello,

Im doing my modular course with Stapleford and the first time i heard about this was when i was reading the Flyer Magazine. I shall try and investigate a bit more.

FLYbyWIT
16th Feb 2004, 00:26
What stage you at AIRWAY?

AIRWAY
16th Feb 2004, 00:40
PPL on the PA28

buzzc152
16th Feb 2004, 03:54
Sorry to hi-jack the thread.....

Airway, SFC are top of my list for CPL, FI(R) in the next few months. What do you think of them ? Would you recommend them ?

Funkie
16th Feb 2004, 05:29
AIRWAY,

Thanks, any info would be appreciated.

skyman68
16th Feb 2004, 05:57
seem astraeus is desperated for money!

why can not they offer a NORMAL training like some other SERIOUS airlines????

Flying Lion
16th Feb 2004, 22:28
Stand alone type ratings are not much use, however 100 hours in a line flying environment will make you an infinately better prospect. The thinking behind this course is that for the same money as the integrated schools are offering ab-Initio to frozen ATPL you could achieve frozen ATPL +MCC+ Jet orientation + B737 classic type rating + 100hrs on type. Best advice is go to the open evening where there will be presentations from both Stapleford Flight Centre & Astraeus and ask the questions to those that can answer them. Good luck wherever you train!

Master Yoda
16th Feb 2004, 22:58
When/Where is the open evening (with regard to this subject) as i didnt see it on the Stapleford nor Astraeus websites.

Ta

tom24
16th Feb 2004, 23:56
April 3rd

Very clever advertising by both parties here.

Do Astraeus not offer this sort of training independently anyway?

Charlie Zulu
17th Feb 2004, 00:51
Hi,

Yes they do offer the B737/Line Training as a seperate entity without the need to go via Stapleford.

Bond Aviation do the type rating and then the line training is carried out on Astreus flights.

I know a couple of guys who have gone down this road... one of them has now got a "proper" job with another B737 operator in the UK. The other has an interview with the same airline shortly.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Master Yoda
17th Feb 2004, 01:25
I was talking about the Stapleford Website, u find me where it says Open evening on either website.

Give us a www link someone.

Funkie
17th Feb 2004, 01:54
Flying Lion,

Thanks, it's more or less what I thought it would be. A decent enough set-up I feel, even if there is no job at the end of it, the CV would be closer to the top of the pile with that type of exposure.

I've booked a place today, need to keep all options open.

Master Yoda,

As you have said yourself:
as I didn’t see it on the Stapleford nor Astraeus websites It would suggest that there is no info as yet on the world wide web!!

Read the first post. The answer is there.

Thanks all

Funkie:ok:

Andy_R
17th Feb 2004, 02:40
MASTER YODA

The Open Evening is on Saturday 3rd April from 1600 - 1800. Contact Amanda Gladstone on: 01708 687103

Puritan
17th Feb 2004, 14:30
skyman68 -

w.r.t. 'seem astraeus is desperated for money!'

All airlines are desperate for money - even 'Swiss Air' ! ;)

and w.r.t. 'why can not they offer a NORMAL training like some other SERIOUS airlines????'

So let me see....... From zero to (f)ATPL.
Plus a B737 ( -300 / -700 ) type-rating.
Plus 100 hours B737 line flying with a highly reputable & professional UK charter airline.
Plus all of the airline ancillary training, e.g. MCC, wet drills, doors & slides, CRM, etc...
There's NO bond at the end of it.
All for the kind of money that 'traditional' airline training programs charge for just a (f)ATPL.
...... are you suggesting that Astraeus should charge more ?!

tom24
17th Feb 2004, 16:38
Anybody know the cost of this 100 hrs line training scheme?

Is 100 hours really sufficient? For example Channex require 1,000 total and 300 on type!

Why would people consider this over the Ryan/Ezy scheme? Is it because those schemes are massively oversubscribed?

Flying Lion
18th Feb 2004, 15:16
tom24. As the guy that sits in the LHS of a B737 in an ideal world I would always have somebody with a minimum of '300hrs 737 & 1000hrs + TT' but in the real world there is not an endless supply of the above. Yes the lo-cost carrier schemes are very heavily oversubscribed, you still have no guarantee of employment and those who do get a job are bonded and paid ridiculous money! With this scheme I would say that you are likely to be higher up the pecking order than somebody with no type rating or a type rating but no hours and you decide if and when you change jobs if you are not bonded.

ps No I dont work for astraeus in case you are wondering!

ESSEX BOY
20th Feb 2004, 17:01
There are some details on the website

Stapleford Flight Centre & Astraeus !!! (http://www.flysfc.com)

Looks like you'll have to contact them if you want to find out any more ... !

sounds like a good deal to me !?! fresh out of training with jet experience all for less than the price of an "Intergrated" course from Oxford/BAE etc .

£49,995 for F.ATPL (MCC, J.O.T Type Rating, Base Training & Line Training)

or $60K for F.ATPL

If i had to do it again, i would consider it ... and i don't agree with having to pay for a type rating, or any training in that case ! I'd much rather have it all paid for :rolleyes:

EB

:ok:

AIRWAY
20th Feb 2004, 17:44
Yes, not bad at all, something i will "consider"...

Master Yoda
21st Feb 2004, 01:48
Do ANY airlines pay for type rating any more? I know easyjet do there bonding scheme but thats about £20k innit??

Would say BA or alike take people straight after finishing Flight School (ATPL Grads no Type rating) and then train them from there? Paid for by the Airline?

AIRWAY
25th Feb 2004, 20:27
Hello,

Just booked a place for the presentation, i will be there from lunch time because if the weather allows i will try and have a lesson for at least an hour, if any of you are interested in a coffee/tea just PM me, it would be nice to meet some prooners before the presentation.

Another quick question: I would like to exchange a few PM's with an Astraeus pilot that has done their TR and 100h line training, if possible PM me.

Many Thanks

Number Cruncher
26th Feb 2004, 00:06
Sounds about the going rate for the 73 rating??

If you're going to do a 73 TR this lot have to be the obvious choice due the extra 100 hours, I still however have my doubts as to how much more of an advantage having the hundred line hours will be when it comes to applying for jobs. I haven't seen any outfit asking for less than 300.

Still, when things get better on the job front, then I guess these guys will have a distinct advantage?

Deano777
27th Feb 2004, 08:13
Ive booked a place too

should be interesting.

See you all there

D.

K2SkyRider
29th Feb 2004, 01:27
I'll be there aswell. I'm sure between us we can ask all the right questions.

Read good things on Pprune about SFC as an FTO. Does anyone know if they have a stable financial history?

AIRWAY, I would appreciate any info you could pass on if you manage to get a response from any Astraeus pilot(s).

Looking forward to a coffee with fellow Ppruners. See you on the 3rd April.

K2

AIRWAY
29th Feb 2004, 03:01
Hi K2

I have been around Stapleford for 2 years and a friend of mine for 4 has far has i am aware there aint a financial problem with SFC, i mean when im there specially at weekends almost all a/c are up in the air, recently they have done some building work in the bar area and an extension. If they were with financial problems i dought they wouldnt have done the building works.

Now i havent been up there for about 3 weeks but i heard the prices have increase, im learning to fly on the PA28-161 use to pay £144 per hour dual, and i heard the price has increase to £170. Great huh :mad: £26 increase :*

ESSEX BOY
29th Feb 2004, 06:31
Ive been there recently, the prices are the same as they have been for a while !

They are actually offering the Arrow at the same rate as the Warrior for March and April (Dual & Solo) !

Its still £144 for the PA28 ...(and now for the arrow (PA28R)) the CPL rate however is £170, but this is no change !

Been like it for quite a long time (year +) !

Bub Bye !!!

:ok:

AIRWAY
29th Feb 2004, 16:08
Essex Boy,

Thanks for the info :ok:

Im happy again :}

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Feb 2004, 16:17
This scheme or an Integrated course costing £72,000?

No brainer really.

100hrs on the line makes a massive difference. You've been signed off, you've done the job, you've operated the jet. Doesn't make much difference if you have 100, 200 or 300 hrs - you are still a green B737 F/O new to type.

But you are still a B737 F/O...

Good luck,

AIRWAY
29th Feb 2004, 16:54
This scheme or an Integrated course costing £72,000?

Indeed www, i agree with you, i often keep reading people that will go to this FTO and that FTO for the "name", and we have here a scheme that in my personal opinion is great, and with 100 hours on type!!! I think no one can match this.

My view only.