PDA

View Full Version : PSU readings............

Flybywyre
14th Feb 2004, 21:42
Can any one tell me if the following readings are correct. The + readings seem to be OK but I do not understand the - readings

+ 3.3V Voltage 3.28 V
+ 5V Voltage 4.89 V
+ 12V Voltage 11.80 V

- 12V Voltage 1.05 V
- 5V Voltage 1.99 V

Thanks

Wing Commander Fowler
14th Feb 2004, 23:30
This is an interesting post! Where are you getting the readings from FBW?

Flybywyre
15th Feb 2004, 00:22
The readings are from SiSoft Sandra. I also ran Aida32 and came up with similar readings. I have been trying to track down various little faults that keep cropping up, all started with the mouse that refused to move in the horizontal plane unless it was attached to a KVM switch and the other computer was turned on ( didn't work with a USB mouse either). Then the sound went, then the monitor wouldn't come on unless you did a full re-boot 3/4 times (funny enough that started working again this morning), then the odd setting would change, such as forgetting my Pprune automatic log on when the computer starts up, open programmes getting stuck on the task bar when minimised, USB ports not recognising plug and play and other irritating little things that just don't make sense.
I have got so fed up with it that I have bought a new MB and will be installing it next week. I am running XP pro, Athlon 1.7, 256mb DDR and plenty of HDD room as I have recently reformatted and reinstalled XP in the hope that it would sort these problems out, it didn't.
It was only this morning that I seriously considered the PSU as a sort of after thought, everything else seems to be OK including memory. The system is also virus free.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
16th Feb 2004, 10:05
Flybywyre,

What brand Power Supply are you using? Also what are the specs on it? (Amps on the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v RAILs and the Max Combined Wattage of the 3.3v + 5v RAILs? All this info is located on the sticker on the side of the Power Supply.)

Which Mobo did you buy and which Vid Card do you have?

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Do not believe everything Sandra tells you, she lies! :eek:

Flybywyre
17th Feb 2004, 20:01
Hello Richard and thanks for the reply

The PSU is an old 250W thing in an old case that I used for this build about 18 months ago. I can't read the card on the side without taking the thing out again, but I can say that you wouldn't be impressed.
Video card is a Nvidia GeForce 2 Ultra
New MB is a Gigabyte N400-L which I chose because it allowed me to use my AMD 2000+ from the old board and still leave room for a decent upgrade at sometime.
I have now thoroughly cleaned the PSU by taking the cover off and blowing compressed air through it (is was filthy) and installed it along with the new MB. Everything seems to be working OK at the moment and the current -readings are:

-12V = -9.15V
-5V = -4.70

The + rails are slightly lower now but within tolerance apart from the +12V rail which is reading 11.17

Leave alone or get a new PSU ?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Feb 2004, 09:32
Flybywyre,

Replace the Power Supply now. You are running under powered with just the motherboard and CPU, without taking into account a Video Card.

Look for a good name brand Power Supply. I always use Antec Power Supplies and they have not let me down yet. You are going to want something around 400W to 450W if you ever plan on adding a GeForceFX or a Radeon into your system.

Take Care,

Richard