PDA

View Full Version : Bendix King Skymap IIIC

Matt-YSBK
14th Feb 2004, 19:48
Does anybody have an experence with the Bendix King Skymap IIIC.

I am looking at upgradeing GPS and the IIIC seems to be the only one with Australian Topo & Airspace. I am also considering the Garmin GPSMAP295 If anyone has had experence with both and can give a comparison would be great.

swh
14th Feb 2004, 21:31
Matt,

Presently fly a couple of aircraft that have the KMD 550 installed, whilst its not the IIIC a lot of it is similar.

We use the 550 with a KLN 900 and radar as inputs to the box, only gripe I have with it is at times I wish I could turn the brightness down further at night. Being an LCD display it cannot be turned down as much as the CRT types.

The 550 has the same controls on the RHS as the IIIC (joystick, function btns, and brightness) with the addition of some buttons along the bottom for Radar, Traffic etc. The 550 also has a removable GPS datacard on the LHS of the box, not sure how you would update the IIIC.

Might be a silly question, have you looked at the Garmin G1000 ?

Matt-YSBK
15th Feb 2004, 15:04
Yea the G1000 Looks like Garmin's rush to the market that Avadyne seem to have cornered. I see even the new Piper PA32R and 32's can have it standard. The Cirius also has Avadyne system standard. But then the way hire aircraft are in australia you are luck if you get a HSI.

As getting my own aircraft seems like a far off dream i am looking for the best portable i can find to give all the old 1960's aircraft a bit more Situational Awareness.

On the briteness note i know what you mean i sometimes fly an aircraft with a GNS430 and if you get your pocket torch pointed at it's light sensor (even if the torch has a red filter) the britness turnes all the way up like in daylight and you are then blinded for the next 10 minuts. You would think it would not work on a light sensor but be wired to the nav lights or some type of hard switch. I now stick a post it note over the sensor at night.

swh
15th Feb 2004, 15:21
Also another nice peice of kit is this http://www.flynavgps.com/navgpspro.shtml runs on an IPAQ, also can get an external gyro to make it into an AH which is all portable.

This stuff has a worldwide database, fairly cheap.

Capt Fathom
15th Feb 2004, 17:40
You guys have it too good!
That autobright function is a pain!
However, some of us need a torch so we can read the compass & clock.

Matt-YSBK
18th Feb 2004, 13:50
I ended up with the 295 and it seems to look very nice. Dont get to fly with it till the weekend so will post to see how it goes.

Nice color display and airspace is clear on the map Even has the FIS freq. Which is exclent now dick has had them removed from the map.