PDA

View Full Version : History of CAO48 and pilot flight time limits in Australia

swh
14th Feb 2004, 11:48
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there had an idea of the origin of CAO48 and the pilot flight and duty time limits came from.

I was once told it had beginnings from WWII and bomber command, anyone with a further history of how the Australian regulations were drawn up ?

Thanks

S

ravan
15th Feb 2004, 12:22
No idea whatsoever of the history of CAO 48, but I would have thought that the Monty Python crew could have come up with something more understandable over a few sherbets on a slow Sunday night!!!:confused: :D

Towering Q
15th Feb 2004, 13:45
A passenger of mine recently asked how flight and duty times worked. Question went something like..."How many hours are you guys allowed to fly in one day?"

I tried to explain it as best I could, (I'm probably not the best person to ask):O

He looked at me and said..."You're kidding right?":uhoh:

compressor stall
17th Feb 2004, 19:34
Some of the pilots flying from your main base should remember SWH . Ask 'em!

CS.

FMS hater :yuk:

the wizard of auz
17th Feb 2004, 22:53
I believe it was something along the lines of....... Picture two civil servants at a bar at lunchtime.

CC1: I hear that we might get phased out shortly because the reg rewrite is almost fininshed.

CC2: Yeah, I heard that too. Hey!, was it you who took the spurs prohibited out of the air rules?........do you think thats wise?, their only pilots, afterall.

CC1: Nah, that was fred.bloody idiot. well, I been thinking about how we can secure our jobs for ever, and ensure we can get our wage assured.

CC2: yeah?, do tell............. Hey its your shout.

CC1: Yeah, righto. Two middies thanks mate!........well, if we write these rules and regs in such a way that no one can understand em, we will have a job forever rewriting em for the winging Bastards.

CC2: Hey!, mate, I think your onto something there............. But what about the wages bizo?......... Want some nuts?

CC1: Nah, they get stuck in me teeth............ well, If we make it almost impossible to understand these regs and ****, they are always gong to get broken. That way, we get paid through the proceeds of fines and such.

CC2: Mate, thats bloody brilliant!.. But won't some bastard wine about it being unsafe or some rubbish?

CC1: AAAAh, thats the clever bit......Your shout buddy!.
When they all start whinging about how unsafe it is, or how they can't make their business run.......... we just run em around a bit and then throw a couple of appendix into the rules......... you know, like the not withstanding section 3, but meeting at least two of the conditions set out in section 2 a) b) c) d) blah blah blah.

CC2: Here you go mate! better slow down, we gotta go back to work soon........Its near three oclock.............OOOh, I get it!. so it just gets more and more confusing, and we get to keep re writing and adding and deleting ****?..

CC1: Now your onto it. and before we start all this writing bizzo, we gotta go and buy some shares in that company that we get all our paper for the amendments from. we may as well make a quid out ot of it as well.

CC2: bloody bonza mate! your a bloody genius, no wonder I let you buy me beer.
we gunna tell fred?

CC1: Nah stuff him...... he's almost sensible. look at that spurs in the cockpit bizzo. I'll get one of the head honchos to move him to the phone answering section, only cost me a carton of cans. that way, we can have long lunches and stuff.

CC2: Righto.sounds good. where are we up to with the regulations and ****?

CC1: dunno.ask fred. around order 48 I think... well, I'm off. Gunna ask that new blonde at reception to show me her tits.

CC2: Yeah, righto. get a photo for us. see ya at the pub after work............ ****! got a whole hour to go. I might have another one before I get going.

Well thats how I reckon the regs and stuff happened. ;)