PDA

View Full Version : Global Eagle - And 'Global Beagle - Around Britain in a Virtual Autogyro'

Pages : [1] 2 3

SilsoeSid
14th Feb 2004, 11:29
According to the 'expeditions' website at http://www.globaleagle.co.uk it all kicks off today from Waddington.

Good luck to the team, but knowing a few of them fairly well, I wonder of their chances of actually pulling it off. I may be a great cynic, but based on personal track records it must rate high in improbables. :sad:

I was told by one member of the team that I know very well, " I've never worked so hard and I'm really stressed out ,it's taken over my life".
My first thought was, it must be a cushy number as you volounteered to do it! Which would explain a few more names in there. :ok:

I have visions of the Blackadder episode where Edmund was supposed to go to France to rescue an aristocrat, but ended up hiding in his lodgings and getting said aristo from Mrs Miggins' Pie Shop!
(Search the Sigs store at Dishforth this instant!) :ok:

No disrespect to the upper echelons, but maybe the foundations may prove to be an undoing. :eek:

I would have liked to have posted a poll but that facility seems to have gone. Points would be:

Will the expedition leave on time?
Will clearances really have been given?
Will the backup be sufficient?
Will the aircraft itself return with it's wheels?
Why aren't they converting to Apache?
Are our taxes still paying for the teams wages?
Does the CO 9AAC still wash his hands of the enterprise?

I wish you well, honestly, but somehow....... :(

MOSTAFA
14th Feb 2004, 18:25
For what its worth I say best of luck to them.

I have no doubt a lot of the planning will have to be done on the back of a fag packet. On the strength of what they hope to achieve there will be problem after problem but that is what adventure is all about.

Flying 4 Gazelles from Netheravon to eastern Turkey was a yearly jaunt for some and how I remember the problems that caused, but what fun!

After some very heavy planning, (we got to 23,000' give or take a few feet, in a service aircraft with 3 on board (Thanks Boscombe)) I once gave a presentation to a former Director about trying to land a Gazelle on top of Everest, still reckon it could be done! but he didn't.:\

normally right blank
14th Feb 2004, 23:39
Seems a bit open for the top of Everest ;)

Anyway, best of Luck!

Now what's on the telly tonight. A re-re- etc. of James Bond. "Little Nellie" rules, okay!

Best regards

Letsby Avenue
15th Feb 2004, 09:51
This is the same Ac and pilot that crashed whilst trying to land on a parade square to pick up a sponsorship cheque from the Brigadier. Hmmm...:\

MOSTAFA
15th Feb 2004, 18:05
Letsby Avenue

I hope you don't mean me!

Only dent I have ever put in a helicopter was when both hydaulic systems failed on very short finals to a grass strip in an aircraft that could not be be controlled without them. Incidentely, I flew it out 2 hours later, back to camp fixed, thanks to those wonderful chaps in the REME and of course to the person that designed the undercarriage.

However, on another occasion I did manage to lift to the hover, do a 360 deg spot turn with a bonding lead still attached to the aircraft much to the shock of a German run TSW unit.:O

SilsoeSid
16th Feb 2004, 19:12
Funny old thing...

The website now says that the departure will be in March.

Perhaps the sigs store was full til then;)

SilsoeSid
29th Feb 2004, 01:59
The latest from the 'GE' website;

"A question which may be playing on peoples minds, when our scheduled date for departure was February. The reason for this is quite a simple one; we are still awaiting clearance from the CAA for our aircraft and are unable to depart until this clearance is given. We are sorry to our followers for the delay and will keep everyone updated as we receive news. We will however be going it's just a matter of when, so if you have sponsored a mile or are looking to do so please be assured your donations are not in vain, projects of this size always run into minor set backs."

That rings bells from just over 12 months ago, but I suppose then the excuse was quite good, with a war going on and all that.

We'll see !! :hmm:

SilsoeSid
24th Mar 2004, 22:30
Still in Blighty I see, with no further news for over a month.

Apparently its a certification thing with the CAA ;)

Anyway, the 'latest' news (14 Feb); with a little comment on the 'latest' news article

OK, here it is, all the facts with nothing held back - as you would expect!
Why would you think we could think anything else? :ooh:

The bottom line is that we STILL do not have our certification from the CAA and without this I simply can not start the World Flight. The stumbling point is the Structural Analysis for the Tail.
How long are you expecting it to take? :confused:

The main areas of concern are the Jungle areas of Asia and the Arctic.
I'm not surprised, of all the times I've been to the Arctic, I never came across a jungle. If I did I certainly WOULD be concerned, primarily about my Nav! :p

The problem with the Jungle areas is the Monsoon Season.
I think you'll find the problem with jungle areas is the jungle! :hmm:

Some of the legs over the Jungle are five hours long and the Meteorological Reports for those areas aren't the best in the world!
Nothing wrong with the reports, it's the forecasts that are the problem! ;)

Obviously he (the CO) too is a Lynx Pilot and understands the aviation world only too well.
I should hope so! :\

The Arctic isn't too bad, to tell the truth, and we may have gained a little extra help for that region that I can not tell you about until it is confirmed in writing.
Never underestimate anywhere! A little extra help......wrap up warm! :ok:

So, with my cards on the table, my departure date has been delayed. In all honesty I can't set a new date until I know when the CAA will issue me my Permit. I think that it is unlikely that I could get away before the 15th March now....
Well, I certainly believe you on that one!

As I've said before, Good luck when it eventually starts off, but................to be continued!

rotorcraig
14th Apr 2004, 15:05
Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3625675.stm) from BBC News

Army pilot takes to the skies

An army helicopter pilot is aiming to become the first person to fly around the world in an autogyro.

Warrant Officer Barry Jones, 37, begins his four-month journey in Hampshire next Wednesday.

During that time he will fly over 25,000 miles across 25 different countries.

The autogyro, which appeared in the James Bond film You Only Live Twice, is the only class of aircraft yet to circumnavigate the globe.

WO Jones hoping to raise funds for the Dyslexia Foundation, the NSPCC and the Red Cross September 11 Appeal.

"I am really excited about it and I am a little nervous," he said.

"My first worry is if my engine fails over the water I would lose the aircraft and my challenge would end. I would get a swimming lesson as well.

Difficult stretch

"The most difficult stretch will be from Greenland to Iceland because the aircraft doesn't know it is flying over icebergs.

"It is also the biggest hop for me at 457 miles and it'll take about five hours to complete."

The father-of-three, based at Dishforth, North Yorkshire, entered the record books in February last year when he flew 579 miles across the UK in seven hours and 23 minutes.

But the inspiration for his latest journey came from his first flight in an autogyro.

"When I did my first aircraft flight in Carlisle I remember thinking I could fly around the world in this.

"It has all gone from there really and I have been planning this trip ever since," he added.

The autogyro was made famous in 1967 as Sean Connery's gadget Little Nellie in the James Bond film You Only Live Twice, but has yet to make a round-the-world trip.

Brian Milton was the first person to fly round the globe in a microlight aircraft back in 1998.

WO Jones now hopes to follow the same route across the Mediterranean and the Middle East to India, China, Russia, the US and Greenland.

Carefully planned

The world record attempt was originally due to take place last year but was postponed due to the Gulf War and the Sars virus.

His current journey is expected to hit troublespots like Pakistan and Jordan.

"Transparency is the key. All the embassies know I'm on my way and that it's a military expedition," he said.

"The only things likely to stop me are fog or low cloud."

WO Jones is leading a team of six Army soldiers whose responsibilities will include maintaining the aircraft, route planning, logistics and sponsorship and charity liaison.

The journey, which will cost £200,000, is being raised through donations and sponsorship,

Gyroplanes can fly at altitudes of up to 10,000ft, have a maximum speed of about 120mph and cruise at about 90mph.

But WO Jones said he would be sticking to an average height of 2,000ft at 80mph to conserve fuel.

And he may not be the last person in his family to attempt the journey.

"All my family are behind me," he said.

"In fact my oldest son Lewis said to me: 'Dad you're the first person to fly the world in a gyroplane. Well I am going be the youngest'."

People wishing to make a donation to the charities are asked to visit his website.

Shawn Coyle
14th Apr 2004, 17:33
"The autogyro, which appeared in the James Bond film You Only Live Twice, is the only class of aircraft yet to circumnavigate the globe. "

I don't recall any gliders making it around the world... or isn't that a class?

Genghis the Engineer
14th Apr 2004, 17:54
This one did, hell of a winch-launch mind you.

http://webs.wichita.edu/facsme/kardel/Landing.jpg

G

rotornut
15th Apr 2004, 10:30
But the autogyro is a bit safer.

SilsoeSid
17th Apr 2004, 18:47
Well they're off, again.

BBC report here.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3625675.stm

According to the website at
http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/

10am April 21st is the departure date, from Middle Wallop.

Bullet Tooth Tony
17th Apr 2004, 20:18
SilsoeSid

What is your problem?

5 of the 9 posts on this thread before mine are from you and each one mocking and questioning the committment and likely success of the exped.

Were you rejected from the team or something? Get a life you sad git.

I don't know any of the individuals involved, but good luck to all.

SilsoeSid
17th Apr 2004, 22:56
Just keeping everyone updated and in the public eye. Perhaps I like to talk to myself in this thread. Why can't I?

Mmmm... seems to me that you picture yourself as some sort of moderator, judging by your previous posts on prune.
And looking at those posts, perhaps it is you my freind, that needs to get out a bit more!

Any thread that mentions the AAC or their aircraft brings stupid and rather infantile remarks from the likes of ABIW and others
Is that infantile remarks such as Get a life you sad git.

Yet another sensible question that gets turned into a ridiculous pi$$ing match by prats like ABIW and Beagle.
Just like you have just done.

if you don't like it, get off my thread and leave me alone.
BYE:=

Divergent Phugoid!
17th Apr 2004, 23:39
Mmmmm... pubs must be closed then!

And silsoesid didnt pull tonight... Well not the female variety anyhow!

Never mind Sid, one day you might get a shag, but to be legal, you have to be over sixteen! ... Oh you are? Yeah right...

Nite nite sid and dont wet the bed!

:E :E :E :mad: :mad: :mad:

SilsoeSid
17th Apr 2004, 23:50
Just goes to prove the point. If you have nothing to contribute then don't bother posting.

I refer to my previous answer.

Divergent Phugoid!
18th Apr 2004, 11:56
PPRuNe Forums » Private Messages » Read this sad man.

Well Sid, just thought that your private message should be made available for all to see, its a shame you didnt have the courage to post it on the site yourself.

If you dont like criticism dont post.

Lets wait for the next tirade to fall.....

SilsoeSid
18th Apr 2004, 12:23
That is a nicely 'expanded' version of my PM to you.
WoW, what made you make that up?

The reason it was a PM, well the part that I wrote anyway, which was;

"If you can't say anything constructive then don't bother.

This isn't a playground, although people like you treat it as such."

Is to try and stop people like you making a particular thread a slanging match, which you have done here.....well done.
:yuk:

Always_broken_in_wilts
18th Apr 2004, 13:22
DP,

That has to rank as one of the most reprehensible things I have seen on a thread in here. Not only have you posted someones Private Message to you but you have altered it to fit your own twisted argument which is a very petty way to do business:}

Argue like a man or s@d offback to ARRSE where this sort of pre pubescent behaviour is probably acceptacble:rolleyes:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

PPRuNe Pop
18th Apr 2004, 13:26
OK guys, cool it!

This thread is slipping over the edge. One more step and it's gone. I am not sure I shouldn't do that now but the flaming has to stop, otherwise I will close it.

I agree that PM's should not be published and I have edited it out. In very bad taste too.

Echo 5
19th Apr 2004, 17:57
Sid,

I haven't read a funnier thread for months.My guts are killing me. Great entertaiment. Keep it up mate. More more more please.
Rgds,
E5
:ok:

SilsoeSid
19th Apr 2004, 18:21
Just visited the website for an update.

Barry recently visited the Nutec team based in Billingham for a quick refresher to hone his skills in the art of surviving a forced landing in water. This is essential training for all aircrew who travel over water, view the gallery to see how it went.

gallery here (http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/events1.php?name_gbl=Nutec)

Two things struck me here.

1. If the exped is in an autogyro, then why practise in an S-61 type dunker?

2. Why wasn't he already current.

3. Doesn't the dunker practise you in the post crash skills, ie getting out and onward? If you get to the dunker stage, you've survived the 'forced landing'.

OK 3 things struck me.

Bill O'Average
19th Apr 2004, 19:57
1. Not many Magni M16 Autogyro dunkers around.

2. Practice makes perfect.

3. Practice makes perfect. Bit of a picky question?

4. They are one of the sponsors.:ok:

SilsoeSid
20th Apr 2004, 08:08
Thanks Bill,

To simulate a Magni M16 Autogyro, for dunker purposes, surely all you would need to is strap yourself to an old bath and get thrown into a pool. :p

http://www.baycrossings.com/Archives/2002/07_August/Images/Bath%20Tub%20015.jpg

Like you say, practise makes perfect and a very important facility and training package.
I've always thought that everyone who flies, pax or crew, heli or C-17,should be able to utilise the facilities.
Obviously harder for civis, but certainly all mil pers should be able to get the experience.

SS

SilsoeSid
20th Apr 2004, 17:48
Latest update, the day before the 21 April 10am departure....

Departure Delayed Until Monday 26th April Further Update And Timings Will Be Available In The Next Two Days. The Global Eagle Team Apologises For The Delay Which Is Due To An Aircraft Fault.

Most of us are aviators in here, what kind of aircraft fault is this?

Can someone please confirm which year this is going to begin in please

:hmm:

SilsoeSid
21st Apr 2004, 13:41
What's best, is under the 'departure delayed' headline there is a link to find out more which doesn't let you.............find out more that is.

Mad_Mark
21st Apr 2004, 14:02
Yawn :rolleyes:

I sense a lot of bitterness or jealousy here. I take it BTT's question "Were you rejected from the team or something?", which you have never answered, seems to be pretty close to the mark. :eek:

It was nice of you to point us to this expedition and their web site, but to constantly have a go at them is wearing more than a bit thin.

MadMark!!! :mad:

SilsoeSid
21st Apr 2004, 15:10
In answer to the question, not at all.

I don't believe that being rejected from the team would even be an issue for me, as it's not the sort of thing that turns me on, so I have never wanted to be a part of it.
Anyway, judging by other websites on the exped, the team has been offering places for advisors and general helpers as it is. My spare time is mine.

I only know a few of 'the team' and I'm sure those who also know them will realise where I'm coming from:ok:

If it's all wearing a bit thin for you, then you are very welcome not to come back here:p

To those who take it all too seriously;

http://hpbimg.bytsgthulka.com/SdaFU.gif
Sorry for the language.
SS

ZH875
21st Apr 2004, 18:20
Is this the Army doing extended testing for the BLUH, it is small enough and cheap enough!!

Bill O'Average
21st Apr 2004, 23:20
We couldnt even afford that!

SilsoeSid
23rd Apr 2004, 10:00
Just to let you all know that if you click on the global eagle website link Find out more you can now, find out more.

Briefly, the a/c is now reported to be "sweet as a nut".

Just a little thing that has always got me;
As mentioned in the latest report, "In the world of aviation there is a saying "If there is any doubt, there is no doubt".

What's all that about?
If there was doubt, how can you suddenly say there isn't any anymore?
To turn it around, if there is no doubt, then there is doubt!
Doesn't really make sense.

Any truth in the rumour that a team from California are attempting a round the world trip in June?
:ugh:

Bill O'Average
23rd Apr 2004, 16:20
Silo, are you the teams Official Critic? Are you getting payed or are you usually this pedantic?

Mad_Mark
23rd Apr 2004, 18:12
Just saw a segment on the BBC 6 O'Clock News about it. I am sure I saw SadmanSid crying in the background, all dressed up with nowhere to go :ok:

MadMark!!! :mad:

Chicken Leg
23rd Apr 2004, 18:56
I don't think that I have ever seen such a bitter thread.

Silsoe

The more you post and criticise the bigger that chip appears.

SilsoeSid
24th Apr 2004, 06:55
In answer to your questions Bill,

Nothing official here, I am getting paid by someone, and yes!.

So Chicken Leg, if thats what you think, why do you keep coming back here to see whats happening? :hmm:

Just balancing up my shoulders with the chip on the other side!
http://www.leather-harvest.com/images/CHIP_Shoulder.gif http://images.allposters.com/images/54/039_11590.jpg
Didn't they look nice in those tight trousers and astride their bikes? :ooh:

Bill O'Average
26th Apr 2004, 17:04
Well, Barry is on his way. Watched him launch today. All the best and good luck to him and the team!!

MisNomer
26th Apr 2004, 17:22
Good luck Barry :ok:

Looking forward to your safe return to the UK :E ;)

SilsoeSid
26th Apr 2004, 17:52
Excellent news at last.

Godspeed Barry, hope all goes to plan and the weather is kind.

Link to latest news (http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/movies/worldmap.htm)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.collyer1/pr/images/godspeed_tm.jpg
Godspeed : EDMUND BLAIR-LEIGHTON (1853-1922)

Helipolarbear
26th Apr 2004, 22:55
Wishing 'Barry' the British Army Heli Pilot all the success for his great undertaking and adventure! 25,000 miles +.... Wish I was 'staggered right' with him! Some day!
Anybody know the actual specs on the Gyro he is flying?
Pretty impressive send off from his fellow Army pilots!

:ok: :ok: :ok: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D

Aesir
27th Apr 2004, 09:10
I believe it´s the Italian made Magni autogyro!

see:

Magni USA (http://www.magnigyro.com/USA/usa.htm)

I did see the send off in Sky news, excellent show.

Best of luck to him. I hope to meet him when he comes through Greenland or Iceland.

I have done the trip between Greenland and Iceland several times in helicopters (incl JetRanger). Its a difficult trip mainly due to unreliable weather reports, which is because there are very few weather reporting stations in the area. The WX at destination and departure point may be fine and forecasted ok enroute, but you never know if you run into fog midway that can be from MSL to 10.000´.
You just dont know until you´r enroute.

By the way I have about 50 hrs in Gyro´s, mainly AirCommand. The aircraft can easily make the trip, its the weather thats the problem. But luckily the Gyro handles wind very well and he can land almost anywhere.

Nr Nh T6
27th Apr 2004, 11:10
A Fantactic Adventure begins!! and for 3 very noble causes!!

(Great send off from EGVP)

The very best of British luck to Barry and the team!!

I wonder how many are eating hats just now, or perhaps very red faces for the doubting few!! :O

Keep up the good work!

(I'm green with envy! never thought I'd admit that!!!!)

Stay and fly safe

Nr Nh T6:ok:

SilsoeSid
27th Apr 2004, 13:52
Walking into the newsagent this morning, I was greeted with the front page of the Yorkshire Post...

"Pilot takes off on round the world trip – in a gyroplane"

I saw it last night on Newsround, so it must be true, and he was heading East, not North to the sigs store in Dishforth,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40084000/jpg/_40084805_copter_300.jpg

Amid the sense of excitement and seeing the challenge ahead...
Director of Army aviation Brigadier Richard Folkes said: "Disraeli said that adventure was for the adventurous and certainly Mr Jones and his team fall into that category."
Thanks for that, Dicky, really stirring stuff to set off around the World on.:ugh:
I'm sure that in times of trouble, those words will enable Barry to pull through; or (b)

In the meantime our wishes and thoughts will stand in. :ok:

MisNomer
27th Apr 2004, 21:21
Full details of the trip can be found here

globaleagle (http://www.globaleagle.co.uk)

Bill O'Average
27th Apr 2004, 22:26
Shame they couldnt get a correct piccie of the Magni!

I believe sigs store have sorted him out too.:ok:

SilsoeSid
27th Apr 2004, 22:46
I was trying to get hold of the pic with the blue eagles in the background, which was in the 'post'. Had to make do with BBC.

It doesn't seem to be around yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.

Just read the first report back,
"Middle Wallop Tower, this is Army Air 547 requesting clearance to depart for a VFR flight around the World."
Absolute epic, can't wait for the book!

"By the way, uuummm... Jonesey, just for the publishers, if it all goes OK just make sure they spell my surname correctly!" Brigadier Foulkes was heard to whisper!
http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/gallery/images/23__thb

Head Turner
28th Apr 2004, 09:04
A wonderful adventure by an Army Air Corps pilot. I shall be following every flight and will be ready to see him arrive back at Middle Wallop in 4 months time.
Incidentally, who was the authorising officer for this sortie? I'd like to see the entry on the 'Auth Sheet'.

Heliport
29th Apr 2004, 11:10
WO Barry Jones in his autogyro

http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/gallery/images/25__img

http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/gallery/images/24__img

NickLappos
29th Apr 2004, 14:41
That is so very cool. That little gyro circling the globe!

Good Luck WO Barry Jones!

CWO Nick Lappos
WOPA Forever!

paulo
29th Apr 2004, 15:35
Autogyros - the most versatile way of getting from one accident to another. :p

Good luck sir! :ok:

huntnhound
30th Apr 2004, 22:01
Everything seems to be going OK, apart from the weather which is standard for this time of year.:ooh:

Latest reports,
Keith, Lee and Wayne are currently positioned at Freidrichshafen in Germany waiting for Barry to arrive. As usual they have not been idle and have managed to procure accommodation, food and fuel for Barry’s arrival as well as drumming up support and publicity.
UUUmmm, shouldn't that have been sorted a long time ago?

Just a thought:ok:

,Anyway, from the beginning of the diary
How come Barry had to spend the night before the journey begins (around the world no less), in transit accomodation at Netheravon?

With all the publicity, sponsorship and quodos for the Corps going on, surely someone should have jacked up some proper last night comforts.:O

Yes I have experienced Netheravons accomodation!

SilsoeSid
30th Apr 2004, 23:08
Well spotted Huntn,

Netheravon transit accom was never desireable, let alone comfortable enough to prepare for a journey of this magnitude.
I suppose the Mess at Wallop was full as usual. Has that place been refurbished/rebuilt yet?

I liked the "as usual they have not been idle.." bit of it.

They must have put something in the water at Dishforth
:p ;) :p ;)

I once refused to stay in the transit at NV and ended up in a lovely place down in Amesbury. That was in the 90s days of SECOs, bring a sleeping bag and a star map!:uhoh:
Needless to say, I wasn't reimbursed, as accomodation WAS provided.:suspect:

Then they built the concrete towers as they thought the place was being shut down, pity about the other facilities!

Bill O'Average
1st May 2004, 00:21
If you want any pics of the departure from EGVP, I have a couple from the back of the formation. ;) . Although I felt Eagle 4 was pants at holding position!

Although I hate to admit it, the 'AAC' hasnt exactly been the prime mover in this 'expedition'. More of an im******ance. (A top free ride on the PR front with minimal outlay IMHO).

Bazzer has a gucci GPS tracker thingy on board (more than can be said of 85% of AAC cabs!) to let peeps know where he's at or 'weathered in!'. It can be found on line here. http://mivmi.mi-services.com/track/gedevicemap.asp?GroupID=191&DeviceID=221&Zoom=3000&Cmd=&Left=-10.4590136889014&Bottom=36.0493239671486&Right=29.4844816889014&Top=59.2868920328514&map_x=&map_y=&map_x2=&map_y2=&v_name=&point_x=&point_y=&ZOOMINC.x=9&ZOOMINC.y=12

Again, good luck to Barry and the team. Youre still a nutter!!

SilsoeSid
1st May 2004, 04:37
....and if he is weathered in, you can see how bad it is here.
European Aviation Weather (http://www.indermuehle.com/meteo/bigbriefing.asp)

I only wish they had chosen 'bigger' airfields/landing sites.

Although it's a bit misty, I hope Barry isn't delayed on todays leg until tomorrow, as past history might find the locals of Bolzano a bit unfreindly of any 'allied' aircraft, even though it's exactly 60 years on!

TUESDAY, 2 MAY 1944

MEDITERRANEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS (MTO)

STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Fifteenth Air Force): 250+ bombers hit targets in
Italy; B-17s hit the marshalling yard at Bolzano; B-24s, most with fighter
escort, attack Castel Maggiore and a railroad bridge at Faenza; 300+ bombers
are forced to abort because of weather.

(taken from http://www.altus.af.mil/history/combat/combatmay44.htm)

And Barry, don't overfly the Manzell Dornierwerke Aircraft Components Factory near Friedrichshafen, when you leave, they may get a bit twitchy!!!

BEagle
1st May 2004, 06:48
Bug ger - just missed him as I left FDH on Thursday afternoon. Wx was glorious then, but not looking so great for the w/e, I understand.

The Do24T flying boat is due at the Bodensee tomorrow, I gather - hope that you can get some on the side PR.

Good luck!!

Autorot8
1st May 2004, 11:44
I´m sitting in Friedrichshafen in stunning Wx but the Alps is pants! This is the first time i´ve read this thread, umm, whatever, quite funny the views people have, harsh but fair I suppose.

Brian Milton (flew round the globe in a Weightshift in 1998) tried to tell me how hard this flight would be and I thought I knew it, but i´m surprised already at how hard it is. The Wx is the biggest problem now, i´m keen to get past Hong Kong so that I can slow the pace down but the Met isn´t even letting me gat a pace started. I´m told the tracker is working well though.

If I do screew this up i´ll be gutted. Not for any crap reason like i´m a crap pilot etc etc but because there are alot of people involved in this now, most of them for good reasons and for some its a bit of a dream to watch an event like this unfold. One of my son´s classes (Dyslexic Class) are keeping a very close eye on me - thankfully not on this site - and i´d feel like i´d really let him down. The old CO of 9 egt has been my strongest friend in this whole project and has stood up for me on many an occasion, so i´d feel bad about that and of course for the team. Right now though, its just a case of waiting for the met to clear up then i´m off to Italy.

Barry.

FFP
1st May 2004, 11:53
Don't listen to them Barry. Takes more of a person to go out there and do it than to sit on an internet forum and have a go.

All the best with it fella. If you get the chance, post on here some more and let us know how you are getting on. :ok:

Bill O'Average
1st May 2004, 13:34
Tops, Barry!!

Fly safe mate and I'll see you in a couple of months!

SilsoeSid
1st May 2004, 22:39
Don't listen to them Barry. Takes more of a person to go out there and do it than to sit on an internet forum and have a go.
Totally agree with you FFP.
Only one person can do it first and as I've said before to Barry, "Godspeed"

With 3521 views of this thread, I think it safe to say more people are now aware of Barrys voyage.

By the way, aren't you just sitting on an internet forum? And what part have you played to contribute to the mission?:=

Something to do in Friedrichshafen while waiting for the weather to clear up:
Club Miami
http://www.bodensee-top-sites.de/miami/bild-miami-cocktail-bar-miami-beach-01-150.jpg
http://www.bodensee-top-sites.de/miami/

Bill O'Average
1st May 2004, 23:22
Sil, you are a hypocrit and incredibly contratictory. You spent most of this thread criticising the Exped and generally pushing across a point of view that is totally negative. How dare you 'repremand' someone else for making a comment that is positive.

Clever t**t.

Anyway, crack on with our fullest support Baz.

SilsoeSid
2nd May 2004, 02:32
Goodness me Bill, lighten up will you!!
Read it like it's meant to be, like a lot of other viewers;)

Is this a last minute bid to be part of the team, now that Barry is on his way, when before you also had your doubts. Have you previously expressed your views in the bar with no fear of anyone coming back to you? :hmm:

I very much doubt that I am the only one who thought that this would not go ahead, but now that it is am I now not allowed to send my good wishes to Barry?

How very sanctimonious of you.:ouch:
You spent most of this thread criticising the Exped and generally pushing across a point of view that is totally negative Well if you read the first post, you'll find I said,
"Good luck to the team, but knowing a few of them fairly well, I wonder of their chances of actually pulling it off. I may be a great cynic, but based on personal track records it must rate high in improbables."
I still stand by what I said and I am not prepared to go into individual personal traits on this forum.
How dare you 'repremand' someone else for making a comment that is positive.Reprimand:confused: by pointing out that he also sits on an internet forum and has more than likely played no part in the exped?
I take it that's you reprimanding me then!

Thanks for the abuse and please stop PM'ing me for my identity, Thanks:ok:

If you don't like it here, don't come back.
But I have a feeling you will.......yawn!

Bill O'Average
2nd May 2004, 04:24
Tosser.

SilsoeSid, you must be a woman with the changing view points, illogical arguments and general lack of facts that have been proven on your part. Am I married to you???

PM was just asking, once. You seem to make out it was a barrage? Again, you must be a Doris with that kind of over reaction.

Youre still a tosser BTW, do you drink with ABIW, because hes a cnut too?:E

(ABIW has been very quiet on this thread, has he been involved in a pile up on the M40?) heres hoping anyway.

Anyway, good luck Barry and all the team. (Remember Stu, I was always Pro this project, tell Silso to wind his neck in).

SilsoeSid
2nd May 2004, 05:11
Thanks for your contribution there Bill.
I see from your post history, in your profile, you tend to go off like this fairly often.

ABIW I'm sure will be watching and doesn't feel the need to comment on this thread. You seem to be doing a good enough job as it is to let us know what sort of person you are;)

To wish someone to be involved in a pile up on th M40 must be fairly low.

I don't want to keep repeating this, but please don't turn this thread into a slanging match. If you really don't like it simply don't come back and it won't upset you.
I think by now Barry has the idea you're behind him all the way, you don't have to have it as your signature each time you post.:p

p.s Is Stu your big brother?:ouch:

I see the book idea has kicked off.

I´m not allowed to publish my diary anymore as it would stop the publishers from publishing the book about this project. Stu will be summerising the diary that I send him and will keep posting it on the net
Pity you can\'t copyright ideas:=

Don't tell me, it wasn't my idea as it was in the pipeline anyway!!
If that is the case, why hasn't it been mentioned before?

FFP
2nd May 2004, 07:26
Takes more of a person to go out there and do it than to sit on an internet forum and have a go.

So to make it simple for you

1) Go out and do it = More of a person

2) Sit on an internet forum AND HAVE A GO (i.e bitch and be cynical) = Less of a person

So I am on an internet forum, but not slagging his attempt off. Starting to make sense now is it ?

So in reply to your question,

By the way, aren't you just sitting on an internet forum? And what part have you played to contribute to the mission?

Yes. Contributed by posting a positive thread amongst all the crap that's already on this thread. Figured if I was doing what Barry was doing and saw this, it'd be nice to have some genuine support from fellow Mil Pilots.

Autorot8
2nd May 2004, 16:10
OK, ok, no big deal, it doesn´t matter who supports this flight or not, its happening, just. This is the latest stupidity i´ve managed to come up with.

This morning, having jump started the Eagle due to my leaving a circuit breaker in for two days, I ´spiked´ the radio and now it has to be repaired. The local German Engineers are looking at that for me but i´ve just lost what looks like the one weather window I had to get through the Apls for about five days. Gutted!

The more I am delayed the closer I bring myself to the Monsoon season futher along the route. Again, Gutted.

Anyway, an extract from my book (sil) will be posted on the web shortly that tells exactly what happend today. haven´t mentioned the book before because it is nothing to do with the charity side of the project and I don´t want to mix the two. The plan was for the book to try and recover the money i´ve put into this project, but who knows. I´m 70,000 words into it and so far its been about the planning and setting up of the Exped´- obviously. The other reason for not letting on about it is because of my Dyslexia. I´m not sure I can write a book thats good enough to sell, look at my spelling!! Anyway, i´m giving it a go and if it sells, great, if not its a record of what happend, for me when i´m old - er.

I´ll try to get on this thread when I can but I don´t know when that will be. All the best and play nice.

Barry.

Global Eagle
2nd May 2004, 16:46
I have followed this thread from the beginning and up until today never really felt the need to post. As Barry has finally got around to reading it and posting his own thoughts I thought it about time I did.

This project has had a lot of ups and downs, sadly too many downs for my liking and it's just a fact of life that people will form an opinion on just about anything. The fact is that as a team we have dealt with it and concentrated on a common aim. Some of my closest friends are serious doubters about the expedition succeeding, some openly declare it and others choose to say it after i've walked out of the door, after the smile and the "good luck".

I do feel that it is maybe time to answer a few questions that I know have been raised here. There's no better place to start than at the beginning so here goes:

Will the expedition leave on time?

Sadly not, the explanations for the various delays we had have been posted on our website and I for one know that they have been painfully honest. There really was nothing to gain from leaving late, it makes the trip more hazardous, particularly in the areas of Myanmar, Lao etc.

Will clearances really have been given?

No. I answer that one assuming you mean dip/pol clearances. As of today we still require clearances to fly through Russia, China and Canada. Also Denmark have asked for more information before allowing overflight of Greenland. We are working very closely in conjunction with Embassy staff to gain these clearances and poor Tina is working her fingers off to smooth the way. If the next question is "why go then", it's easy, the fact we are on the move creates publicity and hopefully positive publicity will help our efforts..as it already has for Saudi, Oman, Myanmar etc etc For instance; we were told on day one that clearance for China would not be given until 3 days before entry. Unless we started in Rangoon it would be difficult to ever get going!

Will the backup be sufficient?

If you mean ground support from team members then all I can say is that the support will be the best we can give with the financial constraints we have. To say that finance is limited would be an understatement. Barry is paying for his fuel, food, overflight costs and landing fees out of his own pocket, thats after paying for a certified aircraft. The backup that we are getting from Embassy staff has been brilliant and the offers of help from all over the world are coming in thick and fast. I noticed another comment earlier that said shouldn't fuel, accomodation etc have already been arranged. The short answer is yes and it has in most cases, but it hasn't been paid for. From Oman Barry is effectively on his own until Nome, Alaska.

Will the aircraft itself return with it's wheels?

Maybe, maybe not. Or maybe not the ones it left with. I'll ask the audience.

Why aren't they converting to Apache?

Easy one this. I'm too old and too stupid. Barry's eyesight isn't good enough. Wayne is a groundcrewman and hopefully will fly Apache one day. Andy and Lee are engineers and probably don't want to. Tina already has a job in Netheravon. Keith and Stu don't have enough time left to serve. Nige went off to fly with the Blue Eagles. Euan and Pete D are currently at Middle Wallop converting to Apache. Paul wanted to go QHI so returned to flying.

Are our taxes still paying for the teams wages?

Yes they are and can I take this opportunity to thank you all. On a more serious note you should bear in mind that the team has visited over 200 schools in the UK, nearly all financed by ourselves. You might find that this has been cheaper (and possibly more effective) than many recuiting teams. That said, we all appreciate the opportunity given to us.

Does the CO 9AAC still wash his hands of the enterprise?

The now Ex CO 9 Regt is our Project Officer. Enough said on that one.

If anyone has any questions then please feel free to ask away, give us a call on Dishforth 4533 (01423 321533) or send any of the team an e-mail.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at PPRUNE for their support, especially those that have taken the trouble to visit, and silsoesid for generating this thread. I DO NOT believe that there is no such thing as bad publicity but on the other hand I DO believe that everyone has the right to an opinion, and to voice it.

Best wishes

Pete Taylor
GE2004

Global Eagle
2nd May 2004, 17:23
Just come across this thread while nosing around. Thank you all so much for the interest..especially Misnomer who I know is biased!

Keep watching and nip into our website forum when you get a chance.

All the best

Global Eagle Team

maersk1
2nd May 2004, 18:58
Bj,

Sorry, can't get used to this "Barry" bit. Tried to get to wallop to see you off but got caught by a roster change. Glad you're reading this and that you finally got away safely,
Just remember;

IT'S BETTER TO REGRET THINGS YOU DID,
TO HAVE LOVED AND LOST,
TRIED AND MISSED,
THAN TO HAVE SPENT ALL YOUR LIFE W**NKING.

by the way, the flightdeck of an A321 is a lot more comfortable!!

Good luck

Jim T

SilsoeSid
2nd May 2004, 19:20
Nice reply Pete, thanks. That is just what was needed to bring this thread back on course.

Hopefully FFP and Bill will now be able to read this as it was meant to be;(without turning it into the standard slanging match, as seemed to be on their agenda to get it closed or not worth carrying on.
Light hearted, a subject for discussion on both sides of the fence and mainly to make fellow pruners aware of Barrys journey.

The wheels question was posed because of the scouser influence in the team.
http://theory.ic.ac.uk/~jdfearns/graphics/scouser.gif

Of course Barry has my support, (I don't think I am being hypocrytical in saying that), because as an Army Pilot I know that he will scale all the many hurdles put in front of him, as we all have done, to achieve an aim, emerge triumphant and will publish a great book.

Autorot8
2nd May 2004, 20:09
Jim, great to hear from you, give Pete a bell and get contact details please. Take care mate.

Beej.

flygunz
2nd May 2004, 21:27
Not sure where you get your kicks Siloe but if you think you are doing BJ any favours here let me tell you that your posts read like the front page of the Sunday Sport, provocative and nasty.

BJ, saw you leave the other day and wish you the very best of luck, it takes more than guts to try something like this and I hope you succeed.

Gunz

SilsoeSid
3rd May 2004, 00:00
Thanks for your input Gunz.
I take it you have read the thread, so- mission accomplished:ok:

You'll not be coming back then, so seeya:=

Bet you still have a flick through, no matter how provocative and nasty you find it!

SilsoeSid
4th May 2004, 01:56
Hey Maersk,
Seems that by your username, you moved over just in time. I can't imagine that flightdeck being as comfortable as it was for a while.:uhoh:

More weather probs,Barry has had to make an unsheduled landing due to bad weather. He landed safely in a field approximately 30km North of Bolzano. Barry and the aircraft are fine.
Pssst, Don't mention the war!:ouch:

SilsoeSid
6th May 2004, 13:46
Pssst, did you turn everything off Barry? :oh:

As a matter of interest, anyone know the ceiling of the autogyro? and what is the max height expected to be in transit over the Alps?

Autorot8
6th May 2004, 15:34
Ken Wallis, of Little Nellie fame, held the record for many years at around 17,500 feet but I think that has been beat in the USA and is somewhere around 22,000feet. When Brian Milton flew through the Alps on his world flight in a WeightShift Microlight he got through at 9,500feet. I phoned him after I had landed and he told me that it was a CAVOK day when he did it - if only!

volrider
7th May 2004, 11:03
Fascinating posts that are not only interesting but very very funny:D Silk tounged Sid has them rolling a wicked sense of humour that we have learned to adapt to ;)
Good luck on the flight, bet its a bit nippy over them Alps!!
Will keep my eye on this as its not only a great project but a great thread!!

SilsoeSid
7th May 2004, 12:40
Barry is now over the Alps.

http://www.zakongroup.com/photography/alps.jpg
Must have been breathtaking

NVG_CAT3_retd
7th May 2004, 16:16
Bj

Good luck on the trip, just got round to reading the interesting, and not so interesting, posts. Yours obviously rate very highly. :O Keith, remember to go out in pairs not on your own, or you may loose your shoes.:uhoh:

Keep it up in all sorts of ways.

SilsoeSid
9th May 2004, 12:46
The latest fron the GE website.
yesterday;
Barry finds himself at the Magni factory over in Italy. The aircraft is undergoing maintenance today.
Today;
Barry will be spending another day with the Magni crew. He has been asked by the Italian media to carry out some further interviews whilst the aircraft continues on maintenance. He will look to depart for Bari tomorrow.
Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but surely if you are to go on a 'Round the World' journey, it would be prudent to get the method of transport serviced before departure.:hmm:
I hear Halfords can provide a good service except on Sundays, Oh and Saturday afternoons!

Maybe it's the attraction of the vino and the pasta, but how does the service take so long? Is it not just a spark plug clean, oil change and a quick tyre check?

2 weeks so far and we are in Italy . :{

At this rate Barry will just be back in time for Christmas, which would explain this picture taken the other day, of Barry at the maintenance facility getting the undercarriage looked at.

http://www.crossman.freeserve.co.uk/autogyro/bent.jpg
I get the feeling that the new ETA will be chrimbo, as the beard is coming along nicely :ok:

Just done the calculation, perhaps Christmas is a bit optimistic.
http://pudgygreeting.com/graphics/easter/flyingbunny.jpg

Bill O'Average
9th May 2004, 12:54
You dont change, do you SS.

Why dont you just post the update without the 'Mirrors' opinion?

I see your making tons of mates over at arrse too.

SilsoeSid
9th May 2004, 13:02
For fear of repeating myself, once more:zzz:

You don't have to come here. Do you know that each time you post the thread goes to the top of the list? THANKS.:ok:

I don't really like my 'mates' at ARRSE as they don't have much of a sense of humour, unlike those who continually visit this thread.:)

NVG_CAT3_retd
9th May 2004, 20:10
Silsoe

Just looked at your Web Site. It's a BTR not a BMP.

More work on the uppers needed I think.

Bullet Tooth Tony
9th May 2004, 21:12
Silsoe

Don't flatter yourself.

The reason that people, including myself, keep returning to this thread is because individuals who's opinions are valued have started to post.

Members of the team including BJ are telling us things the things that we want to know, ie progress.

Whereas you continue to snipe. I suppose that you have brought publicity to the event and that can only be good in the big scheme of things, but I can't really work out what your problem is.

I suggested in an earlier post that perhaps you were rejected from the team and a private message from someone who claims to be in the know said that I had hit the nail on the head. If this is the case, do yourself a favour and get over it.

I suppose that you will post back saying that you have read my previous posts and that I must consider myself a moderator and that you have the right to say what you want etc, etc. Most of which is true,

but,

you just come across as a very sad little man.

Oh BTW, continued best wishes to Barry and the team.

Always_broken_in_wilts
9th May 2004, 21:56
SS,

Keep posting fella as it's great................but beware as from my experiance it's only a matter of of time before someone offers you outside:rolleyes: ..........normally the post comes late at night after the elderly poster has been on the sauce:rolleyes:

ARRSE is an aptly named site :E

al spelling misatkes are "df" alcohol induced

Global Eagle
10th May 2004, 00:14
Bullet Tooth Tony,

Thanks for the sentiment but I can assure you that SilsoeSid has never been a member of this team, and has never asked to be. I'm afraid that your man "in the know" is wrong.

Anyone who has left the team has done so of their own accord and for very good reasons. And any of them would be welcome back tomorrow (with open arms!).

Thanks to all for the continued support.

SilsoeSid
10th May 2004, 08:15
Just looked at your Web Site. It's a BTR not a BMP.

More work on the uppers needed I think.
Well spotted NVG_CAT3_retd, although that has been noticed before.

However, I placed the picture there as many fellow prunners couldn't get access to the original webpage link given on a different thread.
I'm not responsible for the comments at the bottom, but thank you for thinking that my computing skills are that good ;)

As a FAC 'er I would like to think I could positively identify my target before sending in 2 F-14s to destroy it.
Don't know how I would feel about it though, with all those troops sitting on the top like that.

Echo 5
10th May 2004, 11:54
Sid,

I reiterate what I said last month - Great Thread - Top Banter -
keep them coming mate.:)

Rgds,

E5.:ok:

PPRuNe Pop
10th May 2004, 12:06
Gotta tell you guys something. Sorry but that's how it goes.

PPRuNe is NOT a place for "writing" to each other. If you want to do that use the PM system or e-mails. It is not interesting to others and they cannot get into a thread that is hi-jacked by the schoolboy attitude of some. Others complaining about it and they are right.

So don't get carried away with the idea that YOU, YOU and YOU can use PPRuNe to satisfy your own egos. ('YOU' know who 'YOU' are!

So, back off or I close the thread. It's moving way off topic and ARRSE is banned on here too btw.

BEagle
10th May 2004, 13:12
Is there a site somewhere with the planned itinerary? I've had the odd look at the Global Eagle location map, but that just shows present position with no indication of the planned route.

Is it 'live', by the way? If not, what is the refresh rate?

Global Eagle
10th May 2004, 14:01
BEagle,

The tracker is live. It only refeshes approx every 30 mins, however this can be much longer if Barry doesn't get in range of certain ground stations. It also doesn't help if the battery is turned off (for refuelling etc) as this means the whole system needs refreshing. The lads at Vasco Track are working hard to improve the refresh rate.

The route is available from the website, itinerary is detailed on the message board. If you want any further info please let me know, but probably best to send me an e-mail or put a message on our board.

ATB

BEagle
10th May 2004, 16:21
Thanks- have bookmarked the site now! But I can't find a way of 'zooming' in to find the planned route except on the whole world diagram.

Hope all is going well!

PS - Good AAC PR on Top Gear last night in the Apache v. Exige segment!

northernmonkey
10th May 2004, 16:23
ABIW you slate the site that can't be named but you found it necassary to join..........?

SilsoeSid
11th May 2004, 12:05
News is that Barry is now safely in Bari.
(Good job Bari is not spelt Barry or else that line could mean a multitude of things!)

Now preparing for the leg to Greece over the Adriatic/Ionian seas, Barry looks at new options for the take off run!
http://www.bayphotos.com/bayphotos/photos/funny/flying_boat01.jpg

(I know it's not an autogyro ,thanks!)

Echo 5
11th May 2004, 18:47
PPRune Pop,

Quote:PPRuNe is NOT a place for "writing" to each other.Unquote

Now I may have lost the plot somewhere along the line but I rather thought that these threads were a platform for individuals to exchange views.It would be a somewhat boring time for everyone if we were all in agreement on all subjects.

With regards to this particular thread. SS has kicked it off and it should therefore be his privilege to conduct it as he sees fit.
Personally I think he has done it very well despite the misgivings of some. At times I have also found it humorous and told him so twice on the open forum, and why not.

Others have told him otherwise and have not been chastised.

With regards to the rating of this thread.It was I that initially awarded this a three ring rating cos I thought it was worth it. Within an hour it was reduced to two rings,by whom I do not know but rather suspect it may have been the moderator.(If it wasn't then I apologise unreservedly).

If it was A.N.Other then we all need to know the rules otherwise on the whim of others the ratings on many of these threads could go up and down like a whores drawers (so to speak).
Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Oh, one other thing:" a thread that is hi-jacked by the schoolboy attitude of some."

Aren't we all lads at heart ?

Regards to all.

E5.:ok:

PPRuNe Pop
11th May 2004, 19:36
Echo5

Whinge all you want. But we get fedup and Danny gets fedup with people using PPRuNe to hold conversations. WE mods have to have regard for others. So.......get used to it.

Use PM's and e-mails to have one to one chats! NOT PPRuNe's threads.

Btw, we do not control the ratings. Perhaps someone thought you were not worthy!

PPP

Echo 5
11th May 2004, 20:19
PPRune Pop,

"Whingeing" is not the issue. I was merely putting forward what I thought were some constructive thoughts.Obviously you think otherwise therefore we will agree to differ.Still cannot see where "conversations" come into the equation when the content of almost every thread is all about individuals responding to each others posts.

"Perhaps someone thought you were not worthy!"

Again "I" am not the issue.It is the thread that is rated not me.

Regards to all.

E5: :ok:

PS: No disrespect to the Mods or Danny, just think we should all be playing on level ground.:)

PPS: All the best to Barry and his team.

Fortyodd
12th May 2004, 18:18
Barry now safely in Athens

Fortyodd
12th May 2004, 19:28
Despite one or two radio problems and having to wait for the right weather to clear the Alps, Barry has now arrived in Athens. Next stop - Cyprus. :D

Always_broken_in_wilts
12th May 2004, 23:04
NM,

Joined it for "effect":E Even had a thread dedicated to me so it worked a treat:ok:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

northernmonkey
13th May 2004, 07:04
Oh yes, great 'effect'

Note you didn't stick around though, did the chaps in green frighten you off?

Or do you think you'd be seen through in an instant and made to look a buffoon?

Fortyodd
13th May 2004, 16:32
The (Global)Eagle has landed in Rhodes for an overnight stop.
Well done Barry.

SilsoeSid
14th May 2004, 00:20
Barrys arrival in Greece, although expected, seemed to take some people by surprise!

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/arrivalgrease.jpg

Fortyodd
14th May 2004, 14:35
First major sea crossing completed - Barry now in Cyprus:)

Fortyodd
14th May 2004, 14:44
First major sea crossing completed - Barry is now in Akrotiri, Cyprus. :)

RDRickster
15th May 2004, 01:38
This is very cool... keep the updates coming!

Myra Leese
15th May 2004, 09:32
Met Barry yesterday at Akrotiri families day; he is in fine shape and still very optimistic although some days behind schedule due to weather. Most of his dip clearances seem to be in place and judging by the wind here this morning he will have a good ground speed for his next leg. He kindly put Global Eagle on the static display and had lots of interest. I wish him well but he must be mad!

SilsoeSid
15th May 2004, 21:04
From our roving reporter;

Barrys flypast of pisa was very nearly missed.
Fortunately for some tourists they saw more than the tour guide expected them to!
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/geaglepisa.jpg

volrider
16th May 2004, 08:44
Mad_Mark and FJJP
Get a life!! Cant you see that Silky Sid is not only bringing humour to the thread but also giving encouragment to the team..If you cant see into this then perhaps you should not bother reading this and instead setting up a nice little thread where you can report the facts only...I am sure it will beread by a lot less than this fun and good natured thread!
The pictures make me chuckle and I am sure I am not alone in this..... So cut the nastiness guys and take it for what it is:)
Good luck to the team, and keep reporting silky sid :ok:

Fortyodd
16th May 2004, 09:31
If you want to find out how Barry is getting on without SilsoeSid's attempts at humour then visit the team's site where you can follow progress via the GPS moving map as well as regular updates from the support team in Dishforth.
www.globaleagle.co.uk
At the time of posting, Barry is over Israel en route to Amman in Jordan.

Echo 5
16th May 2004, 10:12
volrider,

I used to use an Ab Cruncher to try and keep the 12 pack firm. Haven't used it since this thread started. Laughing has the same effect and is much more FUN !!

Rgds to all

E5:cool:

PS: Keep it going Barry.;)

Fortyodd
16th May 2004, 11:05
Barry landed in Amman at 1008Z If it's Sunday, it must be Jordan! Well done BJ :D

Fortyodd
16th May 2004, 11:07
Barry landed safely in Amman at 1008Z today. For more info visit the team's website www.globaleagle.co.uk :D

Echo 5
17th May 2004, 07:19
Sid,

My apologies to yourself and all the other guys who have not only
enjoyed the serious content but also the humour.
I hope that the thread continues along the same lines.
I'm not going to say that I'll keep quiet for a while as I know that I won't.

Rgds

E5:ok:

SilsoeSid
17th May 2004, 08:58
Good morning Rotorheads;

It seems that this thread is no longer to be on the military forum as is PPRuNe Pops desire. I don't think that Rotorheads is the ideal forum for this thread, as there is a lot of 'military type 'talk' on this particular thread that I personally would leave out of here, but pop thinks it is.... However, lets see.

To those who are new to this particular thread, please let me explain.

At first I was dubious as to whether or not the Global Eagle expedition was a pie in the sky attempt or actually going to work. This is based on my personal involvement, (not in the biblical sense!), with a couple of members of the team. Having discussed this matter with others who know a lot more of the goings on that I do, this was a belief held by a few more!

Due to the ability of the British squaddie to climb every hurdle placed in front of him and fag packet planning abilities, the global journey has not only started, but apart from the weather, looks as though it will be successful, barring any dimplomatic malarkies!

My views have been PM'd to Barry and as yet there has been no reply either because;
on-line time is too limited to check PMs
he understands whats what
or simply doesn't want to waste his time replying to me, (good or bad?)

The reason for the pictures is to represent an image of how GE and Barry may look as they pass through a country. As there are no journey pics on the official site (http://www.globaleagle.co.uk ) , I thought it would be nice to give people an idea of the attractions that a particular country has to offer on a trip like this.
(the pictures are not real and only represent what the flight conditions could possibly be like!)

Hopefully this thread can carry on in the way it was intended without being sabotaged by the few.
As I have said before in many of my posts, if someone doesn't like this then they don't have to come back to view it again.Nearly 7000 so far!
This is called choice, something that a lot of us joined up for to defend, (well, apart from the flying, uniform the ladies love, beer tokens and trips around the world with associated R&R!!)

p.s. If you feel the need to comment on any spelling mistakes or other petty contributions don't , instead make a donation to The Dyslexia Institute or any of the charities GE is supporting. via here (http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/gyroplane_shop.htm)
Thanks,
SS

Global Eagle
17th May 2004, 11:42
Sid,

I can assure you that Barry hasn't been able to get online and that is the reason you have no reply. Hopefully he will get access soon, however if you feel you want to pass anything on to him then you can PM me.

cheers

Max_Chat
17th May 2004, 12:48
Sid you are still a Dick

volrider
17th May 2004, 13:42
careful!!! the moderator will chop you:uhoh:
I am glad that this thread carries on as it is entertaining as well as informative.

SilsoeSid
17th May 2004, 18:47
Thank you Max, however I think you'll find it was a different Sid that was Dick;

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00008YNFQ.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

By the way Max; (from Military Aircrew » Why close Global Eagle?)
It would have been nice to have a thread that the general merits of BJ's expedition could have been voiced, and those with a real interest in what he is trying to do could keep in touch. Alas Sid scuppers it with his attitude.
There is an official website with a forum section at www.globaleagle.co.uk

There is also a thread for you just as you desire also in 'Rotorheads'.

Failing that there is also the 'other' website that you can go to.

So, all in all there is no reason for you to come here as there is plenty of choice for you. I'm sure your comments will be greatly appreciated at any of them.
So you won't need to pop back here again, will you?(rhetorical)

I reckon you secretly like it here :ok:

Echo 5
17th May 2004, 19:53
Max_Chat,

Any more pathetic statements like that then please PM them cos the rest of us don't want to know. This thread has just been through one crisis,probably due to the likes of you and your mates, we don't want another.

Goodnight.

E5::(

SilsoeSid
17th May 2004, 23:09
Achmed, the purveyor of Camel bodily fluids, was dissapointed to find out Barry had diverted around Egypt.

However, he kindly points out for our reporter, the intended flight path.

http://chasm.org/photo/pcd/4408/007-3-pyramids.jpg

Helipolarbear
18th May 2004, 06:50
Military-Schmilitary> Who gives a Rat's A**e? Not me.
All comments good or bad should go. Barry's a brave man and worthy of support from all and sundry in the Heli Biz!:cool: :cool: ;) Like the photo's of Pisa and Achmed, The Camel Rider and Dick Turpin...........................got any more Silsoe...Sid...ol'Chap?:}

rotaryman
18th May 2004, 08:32
havent laughed so much in ages!! keep up the work Silo! its a pisser;;:} :ok:

SilsoeSid
18th May 2004, 08:38
Helipolarbear,

Maybe just a pictures thread would be a reasonable idea. We would all be able to then envisage the journey as it progresses.

There are more pics to come, however my roving reporter can't make...ooops....take the pictures until Barry gets into a particular country. ;)

For some video of Barry explaining why he is doing this and also explaining how an autogyro flies try a visit here. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/360/A821233)

Unfortunately I am unable to get any pictures of Barry in Jordan as it is not clear which hotel they are staying in.
http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/happenings/2003/july/british_gp/images/jordans.jpg (joke) :\

Apparently Barry is staying another day in Jordan today as he is feeling under the weather.
According to the forums on the GE site he was taken out for an Arabic meal (http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=156) last night by the RAFXO. It must be SABOTAGE I tell you:p

Not the sort of thing you need flying over inhospitable terrain when you only have one flying suit and very little room!!
http://asp3.6to23.com/jingweiwh/images/humor/toilet.jpg

Echo 5
18th May 2004, 18:05
Sid,

The chick looks interesting. Can you make her pic the same size as the guy on the crapper please !!

Rgds

E5:cool:

SilsoeSid
18th May 2004, 18:27
Now, if I was to do that it would distract us from the main theme of the thread and some of the viewers wouldn't like it.

But just for you, here is the link to it from the Ferarri owners club (http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/happenings/2003/july/british_gp/images/jordan.jpg) website.

SilsoeSid
19th May 2004, 09:18
From GE website;Sadly Barry has been forced to accept another days delay in Jordan. Circumstances leading to this delay will be published at a later date but rest assured they were completely outside of Barry's control. The aircraft is fully serviceable, as is the pilot. Barry will depart tomorrow.
While he's there;
A two and a half hour drive south from Amman (http://www.jordanembassyuk.org/Tourism/Amman/information_on_amman.htm) on the King’s Highway leads to Wadi Musa and Petra. The visitor enters Petra through an awesome narrow defile through the mountains which opens up to a spectacular view of the Treasury, or Khazneh in Arabic.

http://www.bsme.org.uk/petra.jpg

Head Turner
19th May 2004, 13:43
Hey, that's a picture of my girlfriend - wow!

RDRickster
19th May 2004, 14:22
If you think that's good, Head Turner, you should see the poloroid she gave me the last time you were on a long trip! :E

Echo 5
19th May 2004, 18:43
Sid,

Just got home.Been on a one day 500 mile round trip by road to the Smoke and am absolutely knackered. Just logged in to check on progress with Barry and find that chummy on the commode has been flushed and replaced by a little X
Has chummy gorn or is my PC playing up ?
Rgds
E5

SilsoeSid
20th May 2004, 03:31
Echo,
Seems your PC is playing up:\
(right click, show picture; or control+refresh should sort it.)

GE Update Barry will depart Amman at 0500Z 20th May en-route to Ar'ar in Saudi Arabia. Keith will be providing updates from 0420Z. Fingers crossed!
Is that fingers crossed Barry will leave or that Keith will be providing updates?
Pssst!.......lets all call GE Ops at 05:20 and see if Keith can update us. If only I had the number!

SilsoeSid
20th May 2004, 19:20
Barry is now safely in Saudi.

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/geaglesaudidesert.jpg

I think the weather gets a bit worse the further east he travels from now on, so all those memories of exercises under canvas/poncho will come flooding back. :{

SilsoeSid
21st May 2004, 06:36
Today;
Barry departed Ar'ar at 0616Z en-route to Quaisumah (OEPA). Estimated flight time is 4 hrs and 41 mins although he has taken off into a 15 kt headwind.
With the given estimated flight time, how long will the flight now take with the added headwind?

Maximum speed 115 mph
Cruising speed 90 mph
Absolute ceiling 4000 m
Service ceiling 3500 m
Take-off roll 70 m
Landing roll from 0 to 30 m
Rate of climb 5 m/s
Fuel tank capacity 72 lt
Assume;
Cruise height of 500m
Times taken from toc to tod, as I would be surprised if anyone had the Magni M16 - 2000 charts available.

Bonus point; Why wasn't the headwing added for the estimation given? :ok:

Global Eagle
21st May 2004, 07:02
Because I have no idea what a headwing is, however I did add the headwind..does that help ?

SilsoeSid
22nd May 2004, 03:10
Well done, I think most people could realise it was a mistook! Perhaps you would like to make another personal donation to the The Dyslexia Institute for spotting it. :=

It was the way it was written, IMO.
Estimated flight time is 4 hrs and 41 mins although he has taken off into a 15 kt headwind.
Maybe, "he has taken off into a 15 kt headwind,and estimated flight time is 4hrs 41 mins". :ok:
Estimated 4hrs 41mins? Why not 40 or 45 mins? Was it an estimate or calculated guess?

Anyway, enough of this picky stuff, we'll end up in circles.

Today Baarain is the destination, don't forget to take an umbrella!
http://www.visitrannoch.com/img/Joke%20Wet%20Sheep.jpg

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.
Leonardo Da Vinci

SilsoeSid
23rd May 2004, 21:26
From GE website.
Barry will look to depart from Bahrain en-route to Abu Dhabi in the U.A.E at 0530Z tomorrow 24th May.
Weather looks good at the mo. No TAF available;
METAR;
BAHRAIN (INT.AIRPORT) (www.bahrainairport.com) OBBI 232000Z 32012KT CAVOK 29/16 Q1005 NOSIG
ABU DHABI INTER. AIRPORT (http://www.abudhabiairptsvcs.com/index.htm) OMAA 232000Z 25006KT CAVOK 28/24 Q1002 (A2962) NOSIG

Air Traffic Controller at Abu Dhabi, perhaps Barry will be speaking to him!
http://www.abudhabiairptsvcs.com/images/scan/tower.jpg

SilsoeSid
24th May 2004, 06:15
From GE website;
Barry has just lifted from Bahrain en-route to Abu Dhabi in the U.A.E. Forecast looks good for the whole route, expected flight time around 3 hours 30 minutes.
Good job he didn't go last week, on time!
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/geagleUAE.jpg

SilsoeSid
24th May 2004, 09:33
From G.E. website.
As at:0838Z- 2004-05-24
Barry has just landed at Abu Dhabi, flight time was slightly shorter than expected due to a tailwind, with a total flight time of 3 hours 8 minutes.

Arrived in time for a game of golf, IMHO a good walk spoilt!
http://www.destinationcoupons.com/UAE/Dubai/TRAVCO/GOLF1.JPG

SilsoeSid
24th May 2004, 11:32
Just found the itinery for the trip, up to the 26th.
Hidden on the forums page of the G.E. website.
Current itinery goes up to 26th.
Mon 24th
Bahrain - Abu Dhabi, UAE (refuel, overnight stay)

Tue 25th
Abu Dhabi - Muscat, Oman (refuel, 2 nights stay

Thu 27th
Muscat - Gwadhar (Pakistan)

Would have been handy for it to be more accessible, but there you go! :p
If GE him/herself doesn't want to post the itinery for the legs after the 26th here, I'll hunt it out and post. :ok:

So, tomorrow, Muskrat.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/art/muskrat.jpg
Sorry, Muscat.:=

Max_Chat
24th May 2004, 21:32
Sid, are you just good friends with echo or what?

SilsoeSid
25th May 2004, 06:51
Max, I'm not aware of knowing Echo personally, anyway, aren't we all friends here anyway?.:ok: (Why do you ask? PM if it's going to turn into to a conversation.)
Latest0500Z- 2004-05-25
Barry informs Eagle Operations that he has been up all night due to being ill and will not be able to fly today. Eagle Operations is now busy informing all relevent agencies about the delay. Get well soon Barry, we will post further information as and when we get it!
Maybe it's the food problem again or too much sun on the golf course perhaps!:ugh:
http://www.poppydesigns.co.uk/Get%20Well/Steam_Train.jpg

SilsoeSid
25th May 2004, 08:35
So, when this mission is complete, what next?
How about something likethese guys? (http://www.flymicro.com/everest/)
http://www.flymicro.com/everest/docs//home_image003.jpg

Is the autogyro ceiling given of 4000m an oxygen limitation, or would there be a performance issue?
Autorotative characteristics at that sort of height must be interesting. :\

Just a thought while Barry is on the deck.

SilsoeSid
26th May 2004, 10:22
Barry arrived SEEB North Oman slightly early at 0913Z. Barry will stay in Oman for 2 days to catch up on his admin. http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/trade.center/deployment.map/seeb.2.gif
http://www.globalgeografia.com/satellite/oman.jpg

SilsoeSid
27th May 2004, 10:08
A maint day in Oman, then off over the water to Pakistan tomorrow.
Hopfully those practised dunker drills won't have to be put to use!

Apparently, the local SAR units require a substantial equipment update!

http://www.brocklebank.org.uk/p/london/l4/DSCN0909.JPG

METARs
SEEB, INTERNATIONAL OOMS 270900Z 04006KT 360V080 8000 SKC 35/26 Q1004 NOSIG
KARACHI AIRPORT OPKC 270930Z 25016KT 7000M SCT020 34/23 Q1005 NOSIG

TAFs
SEEB, INTERNATIONAL OOMS: no TAF available
KARACHI AIRPORT OPKC 270330Z 271206 24010G20KT 8000 SCT030 FM1500 26005G15KT 6000 BKN020

SilsoeSid
27th May 2004, 20:59
....... in Pakistan the Gwadar overnight stop has been removed from the Itinerary. Barry may have to attempt a long sea crossing on Saturday direct to Karachi, a straight line distance of 493 miles. This will not be an easy leg of the trip and will become the longest flight of the whole journey.
http://www.racedr.com/racedr/OOMS-OPKC.gif

SilsoeSid
29th May 2004, 11:41
Barry has just informed us of a technical fault on the aircraft, he is currently having the problem checked out and will keep us informed.
Muscats finest Taxi entrepreneur awaits the potential of having to collect and deliver any spare part requirements for GE.

http://michelesworld.net/dmm2/lulu/transpor/taxi.jpg

Like a coiled spring, he awaits his orders.
check out the Lionel Blairs on this geezer!

Autorot8
29th May 2004, 15:08
Got on the net at last!

Sid, haven't seen any PM's but there again, not sure where to look and the time i get on line is normally taken up keeping my diary up to date, which it isn't. So, sorry for not replying but thanks for dropping into the office the other day.

I was ready to roll at 0315zulu this morning and noticed that there were no indications on my Flydate. Obviously i had to sort the problem out and after two hours in 40+ degrees and a huge pool of sweat I found the wire that i must have pulled out with my size 10's. Removed, the Inst' Pannel and fixed the problem and replaced the Pannel. By now it was too late to set off for my destination and make it before dark. I'll try again tomorrow, (30th).

Good news on my website, on the forum from Paul Windy, check it out at globaleagle.co.uk

All the best from Muscat.

Barry.

SilsoeSid
30th May 2004, 09:40
Barry departed from Seeb, Oman at 0313Z.
After over 6 hours in flight!!! it seems Barry must have Karachi just about in sight according to the GPS tracking at http://mivmi.mi-services.com/track/GEDeviceMap.asp.

6 hours!! I know where 'Barry the bird mans' first stop is going to be!
http://www.aardvarkcymru.co.uk/pics/jac6.jpg

Landed 10:15 (09:15z)
After the initial arrival greetings,the Ambassador appreciated Barrys assistance in completing the final touches to the Embassies ornamental pond!

http://www.nd.edu/~akolaczy/pond12.jpeg

Fortyodd
30th May 2004, 10:19
Beej, been watching your progress since I got up. Bl@@dy marvellous effort, well done mate!! :D

SilsoeSid
1st Jun 2004, 07:24
Barry is now heading in to India. Scheduled departure was 0400Z. First stop Ahmadabad.

Barry cruises low level through the Pakistan countryside near to the relatively unknown village of Ibrokemehanddad. Using radar evasion techniques, (doppler notch and leaving his survival knife back in the accommodation !), Barry slips away from the troubles in Karachi.

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/geaglepakistan.jpg

SilsoeSid
1st Jun 2004, 16:38
Barry has landed safely at Ahmedabad after a flight lasting 4 hours. Tomorrow will see an earlier lift time of 0200Z.
Ahmedabad;
Just on the edge of the Earthquake affected region back in January 2001
http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/south/01/29/india.quake.02/map.india.bhuj.ahmedabad.gif

SilsoeSid
2nd Jun 2004, 07:24
Barry has at last managed to depart Ahmedabad en-route to Jaipur. Hopefully the tracker will update soon,
Tracker here. (http://mivmi.mi-services.com/track/GEDeviceMap.asp)

http://www.cnn.com/2000/ASIANOW/south/03/23/clinton.india.01/map.india.new.delhi.jaipur.gif

Fortyodd
2nd Jun 2004, 12:37
A very hot Barry has reached Jaipur. OAT +45'C !!

SilsoeSid
2nd Jun 2004, 17:36
Barry has kindly been offered local hotel accomodation which was arranged by friendly officials at the airport. He will depart at 0430Z tomorrow for the short (2hrs 20mins) flight to Delhi.
"Taxi for Jones"
http://www.amrita-it.com/india/dia/Jaipur%20elephant.jpg

SilsoeSid
3rd Jun 2004, 00:30
For the full itinerary go to http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=206 which will be updated weekly.

For the next week or so;

India
Thursday 3rd June 2004 ****
ETD Jaipur (VIJP) 0200Z
ETA Delhi (VIDP) 0420Z (Refuel and 2 Nights)

India
Saturday 5th June 2004
ETD Delhi (VIDP) 0200Z
ETA Bareilly* (VIBY) 0430Z (Refuel & Overnight)

India
Sunday 6th June 2004
ETD Bareilly (VIBY) 0200Z
ETA Gorakhpur* (VEGK) 0600Z (Refuel & Overnight)

India
Monday 7th June 2004
ETD Gorakhpur (VEGK) 0200Z
ETA Patna (VEPT) 0400Z ETD 0500Z
ETA Baghdogra (VEBD) 0820Z (Refuel & Overnight)

India
Tuesday 8th June 2004
ETD Baghdogra (VEBD) 0200Z
ETA Guwahati (VEGT) 0530Z (Refuel & Overnight)

India
Wednesday 9th June 2004
ETD Guwahati (VEGT) 0200Z
ETA Imphal Tulihal* (VEIM) 0430Z (Refuel & Overnight)

India/Myanmar
Thursday 10th June 2004
ETD Imphal Tulihal (VEIM) 0200Z
Overhead Yangon FIR (VYYY) N2420 E09420 0245Z
ETA Mandalay (VYMD) 0500Z (Refuel & Overnight)

With all that time in India, Barry had better stay away from too much vindaloo!

http://www.rumela.com/jokes/image/chickenvindaloo.jpg

SilsoeSid
3rd Jun 2004, 10:11
Barry touched down in Delhi at 0706Z. He will be staying until Saturday courtesy of the Embassy staff. The aircraft is being looked after courtesy of British Airways..Thanks!!

On base leg, Barry was surprised to see how close the tower was to the threshold, and this early in the morning with this heat;

METAR: NEW DELHI/PALAM VIDP 030930Z 25005KT 2500 DU FEW040 FEW040CB SCT100 41 /16 Q1000 TEMPO 28030KT 0800 DS/TSRA

how could the runway possibly be iced over?

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/geagletajmahal.jpg

Thomas coupling
5th Jun 2004, 11:21
Sorry Silsoe - that's not called for, quite unpalatable in fact.

What a strabge sense of humour you have - someone burning to death??????????????

Echo 5
5th Jun 2004, 13:11
Thomas,

You need to lighten up old son. You should realise that anyone possessing a "military sense of humour" will recognise that the guy in the pic is suffering from "ring stinger syndrome". In fact he looks remarkably UNBURNT to me. A trick of the camera perhaps or if self inflicted - tough !!

E5.:hmm:

fone_effect
5th Jun 2004, 17:00
Silsoes girl friend out and about again

Echo 5
5th Jun 2004, 19:54
fone_effete,

At least you're consistent. Your last post was just as pathetic as the previous 21(mostly one liners).
I'm just a visitor here myself taking an interest in the progress of GE but you should be aware that the name of this Forum is Rotorheads not Dickheads.
Bait taken - hope it pleases you !!:)

Heliport
5th Jun 2004, 20:50
I won't try to improve on that. :D

SilsoeSid
7th Jun 2004, 00:21
Although Barry got up and prepared to set off today he still isn't well enough to fly. The doctor has recommended further rest and to up his food intake( ie :eat something!). He has been instructed to stay in Delhi until he is fully fit to fly.
Blimey, doctor recommending eating something in Delhi!!

http://www.tufts.edu/med/medissue/orientationissue2003/learning%20curve/Images/diarrhea.jpg

I'm sure we all know the feeling!!

Sympathy to Barry :bored:

If you have a similar problem, replace those bodily fluids with a nice cup of Yorkshire Tea/Coffee.

Failing that, join in for a brew to celebrate over 10,000 views of this thread.

http://www.britishdelights.com/home_boxes.gif
UK residents only, apply for your free sample here (http://www.bettysbypost.com/samples/stage_1.asp)

volrider
7th Jun 2004, 01:02
Silky Sid
I must point out that your last cartoon of that poor man stuck in the loo was in very bad taste to all those poor suffers of stinging ring syndrome! I myself have been forced to use this method after a very dodgy ruby. Sadly the relief from the automated flush is short lived:ooh:

SilsoeSid
7th Jun 2004, 01:38
In those circumstances, may I suggest the use of a bidet. French maybe, but very effective at those 'oooooshshsh!' times.

Modern designs allow portability, as demonstrated by one of my reporters on a recent 'curry night' trip to Bradford.

http://www.acukorea.com/Main/Usage.jpg

The Nr Fairy
7th Jun 2004, 07:12
That glow around the bidet - is it a "ring of confidence" ?

volrider
7th Jun 2004, 08:07
Ring of Sting I fear!:ouch:

SilsoeSid
7th Jun 2004, 11:35
Light at the end of the tunnel ?:yuk:

UPDATE
As at:0700Z- 2004-06-07
Although Barry is feeling much better the weather is against him today. There are numerous Thunderstorms in progress and forecast en-route. The authorities in Delhi have advised against flight today. The good news is that Barry is fit to fly now and will be on his way when he can.
METAR
NEW DELHI/PALAM VIDP 071030Z 05002KT 4000 HZ FEW040 37/20 Q1002 NOSIG

TAF
NEW DELHI/PALAM VIDP 070900Z 071212 07008KT 4000 HZ FEW030 SCT100 BEC 1416 VRB03KT 3000 HZ BEC 2022 2000 HZ BEC 0305 07008KT 3000 HZ BEC 0809 4000 HZ TEMPO 1212 1000 RA/TSRA FEW030CB

Thomas coupling
7th Jun 2004, 18:41
Silsoe,
it seems I am outnumbered and perhaps the picture should be seen as a laugh.
After all, in my lifetime I have seen hundreds of dead bodies, close up, in fact my current jobe entails wading through human carnage on a weekly basis.
But the one that always sticks in my throat (I can smell the burning flesh when I see pictures) is the one where I went to a jet ranger crash a while back which failed to negotiate a hill in fog. I arrived 8 minutes after the crash and on arrival stood helpless and watched the pilot and three passengers burn to death in the helo. The pilot was desperately trying to get out from under the instrument coaming at the time.
Your picture reminded me of that...........

Funny what inconsiderate, ill prepared, somewhat pathetic gestures of humour do to others around you isn't it?

You've obviously hardened to it ...being a veteran and all that.

SilsoeSid
7th Jun 2004, 20:08
TC,

Not at all.

So far I have been spared anything as horrific as you describe. Like most of us I'm sure, I've experienced some nasty things and I'm sure there will be more to come, I guess we all think we can cope when it happens.

I'm glad you feel able to talk about it here and not just trying to make some sort of point, although your words seem a bit harsh for this particular thread.

As I mentioned to you, the vindaloo guy was a political protester and was extinguished shortly after the picture/film footage was taken. It was self inflicted and he was making a political statement.
Sympathy, in the dictionary before me, is between sympathize and sympatric. (So the $h8t and Syphyllis thing is a myth.)Funny what inconsiderate, ill prepared, somewhat pathetic gestures of humour do to others around you isn't it?
As the picture is on a globally available website, I would suggest the majority of viewers were not offended, but saw it for what it was. (http://www.rumela.com/jokes/image/chickenvindaloo.jpg)
It's that 'j' word that is sometimes so difficult!

SilsoeSid
7th Jun 2004, 23:05
Sorry TC, I still don't get your reason for posting.

As we all like to learn from the AAIB reports it would be handy if you could give us a link.
I have looked at the AAIB website but couldn't find a report to match your description.
The closest was Bell 206B, Jet-Ranger III, G-BTFY. 17 January 2003 at 1536 hrs. Cudham, Kent (http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_avsafety/documents/page/dft_avsafety_026161.hcsp)

But it doesn't seem to 'completely' match up.:confused:
Maybe it was abroad.

SilsoeSid
8th Jun 2004, 09:13
Because of unavoidable delays there is a requirement to resubmit flight clearances in India. This is likely to mean a further day in Delhi. Embassy staff are working hard to rush through a request, this normally takes at least 7 days but we are hopeful that the new clearance will be granted sometime tomorrow. It looks likely that weather permitting Barry will depart Delhi on wed.
http://www.free-market.net/images/features/spotlight/red-tape-large.gif

SilsoeSid
9th Jun 2004, 00:02
Sadly, I've just had one of those moments. News link 1 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/3788945.stm) or 2 (http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3037756)

Please lets all now keep to the thread subject. Thank you.

GE update;
Weather permitting Barry will be en-route to Bareilly tomorrow.(today.SS) He is planning to depart Delhi at 0430Z.

Earlier today, a surprise offer was received to assist with any potential fuel problems en-route. As a qualified propulsion production engineer, Mr Methane awaits the call up call;
http://www.yorkshireentertainment.co.uk/images/Mr%20Methane%20.jpg

Bronx
9th Jun 2004, 00:18
TC and SS

Agree to differ guys. You both give a lot here.

B.

SilsoeSid
10th Jun 2004, 00:27
As at:0722Z- 2004-06-09
Barry has now departed Delhi en-route to Bareilly this is a short flight today of approximately 2 ½ hours.

As at:0806Z- 2004-06-09
Barry has called the office. He was forced to return to Delhi due to bad weather. He will try again tomorrow.

As at:1510Z- 2004-06-09
Barry will be attempting an earlier departure tomorrow (10/06). He aims to leave Delhi at approx 0230Z.

Seems like the weather's playing up again!

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/noisywea.jpg
METAR
NEW DELHI/PALAM VIDP 092330Z 00000KT 2000 BR FEW040 SCT100 26/23 Q1004 NOSIG

TAF
NEW DELHI/PALAM VIDP 092100Z 100024 09005KT 2500 HZ FEW030 SCT100 BEC 0405 09008KT 3500 HZ BEC 1314 VRB03KT 2500 HZ TEMPO 0024 29030KT 0800 DS/TSRA FEW025CB BKN090

Nigel Osborn
10th Jun 2004, 01:36
Since the monsoons start about now, it's not surprising he is going to get some real fun weather.:p

SilsoeSid
10th Jun 2004, 03:19
Follow the progress of the monsoon 2004 here (http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/cag/MOL/Monsoon/frameindex.html)

Todays satellite picture;

(removed because of long load time, repeated below)

Fortyodd
10th Jun 2004, 08:14
Monsoon season or not, Barry and the Eagle have made it to Bareilly. :D

SilsoeSid
11th Jun 2004, 04:43
As at:0100Z- 2004-06-11

Barry is due to lift at 0130Z from Bareilly en-route to Gorakhpur. Communications are not good where Barry is at present so as soon as we have confirmation of his lift time we will post it up here.

As at:0140Z- 2004-06-11

Barry contacted Pete using the Sat phone to let him know all was well and that he should be lifting in 20 minutes.

Just so you know;

Gorakhpur is the headquarters of the North Eastern Railway Zone having computerised reservation facility since 1st Jan. 1990 . The first railway line linking Gorakhpur was opened between Sonepur to Mankapur on 15th January,1885. Since then, the railway lines have increased manifold. Today Gorakhpur stands linked directly with long distance trains to the states' capitals of the country - Delhi, Calcutta, Mumbai, Chennai, Bhopal, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Thiruvananthpuram, Guwahati, Ahmedabad and Jammu. The most important train is 'Buddha Parikrama Express', linking Buddha's holy places of Kushinagar, Sarnath, Rajgir and Bodhgaya.

http://upgov.up.nic.in/gorakhpur/railway.jpg

Global Eagle, please check PMs.

SilsoeSid
12th Jun 2004, 05:25
As at:0605Z- 2004-06-11
News just in from Barry; he has landed safely at Gorakhpur.

As at:1950- 2004-06-11
Barry is planning to leave Gorakhpur at between 0045Z - 0115Z en-route to Baghdogra. A refuel stop is planned at Patna. Early indications are that the weather conditions are good. Total estimated flying time for 12/06 is 5.5 hrs.

As at:0218Z- 2004-06-12
Just had a call from Barry, he is departing Gorakhpur at 0223Z and is estimated to arrive Patna for a refuel at approx 0430Z. He will be flying in to a slight headwind and light rain.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9903/18/india.massacre.01/india.patna.bihar.jpg

Patna local online paper (http://www.patnadaily.com/)

Updated: 8:30 AM IST on June 12, 2004
Weather observed at Patna.
Elevation: 167 ft / 51 m
86 °F / 30 °C
Haze
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 77 °F / 25 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h from the East
Wind Gust: -
Pressure: 29.65 in / 1004 hPa
Visibility: 2.0 miles / 4.0 kilometers
UV: -1 out of 12
Clouds (AGL): Scattered Clouds 1772 ft / 540 m
Scattered Clouds 1969 ft / 600 m
Few 2953 ft / 900 m
Mostly Cloudy 9843 ft / 3000 m

SilsoeSid
14th Jun 2004, 11:36
Strong Winds
As at:0237Z- 2004-06-13
Barry has just informed us that the wind is extremely strong where he is at the moment along with the rain and a lowering cloud base he has decided to delay for 1 hour and take further stock of the situation then.

Weather Forces Delay
As at:0325Z- 2004-06-13
After checking with the Met office, the weather already in place is set to get a lot worse as the day progresses. This has caused a 24 hour delay on Barry's departure.

More bad weather
As at:0500Z- 2004-06-14
The weather has again prevented any progress in India. The forecast is very poor for the rest of this week and flight clearances require renewing. Barry is considering returning to Delhi via commercial flight to aid communications and re-plan.

If you do, don't forget to take the Delhi belly tablets!!

Weather system today, (updates itself)

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/indian/images/xxirmet5.GIF

SilsoeSid
15th Jun 2004, 08:36
It's all gone very quiet. :ugh:

http://www.kcpublications.com/images/death_valley-lone_sagebrus.jpg

Thomas coupling
15th Jun 2004, 14:33
Thank God for that!

imabell
15th Jun 2004, 23:13
just it was starting to get quite exciting.:sad:

SilsoeSid
15th Jun 2004, 23:15
And there's me thinking TC would be one of GEs supporters. Oh well, learn something new every day. ;)

I still haven't found that Incident report!! :hmm:

Nice to see you coming back to visit TC!! :ok:

Update.
Barry still in India, GE team on school visit Thursday.

Autorot8
16th Jun 2004, 08:14
I'm back in Delhi. Due to the weather delaying my departure from Bagdogra my flight clearence number, called an AOR number (and i'm the dyslexic one!) has run out. It will take a few days or so to get a new one. I've planned to give it another go on Monday 21st. I need to be somewhere where I have good comm's with the team as we have a few hurdles to clear re-China. Working hard on this subject.
The night before I left Bagdogra I was mugged. Well was in an attempted mugging. My fault, stayed out when it was dark! You live and learn.
All should be quiet till Monday.
All the best.
Barry. (On R+R in Delhi)

SilsoeSid
16th Jun 2004, 21:25
Thanks for the update Barry.

I found a book that may be useful in getting permission to transit China;

http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/0804833877.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Available at Amazon Japan. (http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/0804833877/qid%3D1063859495/br%3D1-3/ref%3Dbr%5Flf%5Ffb%5F2/249-0352338-2366706)

SilsoeSid
18th Jun 2004, 13:01
If you are on a record breaking round the world voyage, are there rules about how far you are allowed away from your 'vehicle'?

If you do decide to abandon your 'vehicle' for any reason with the intent of continuing the journey at a later date, are you only allowed to travel backwards, ie. where you have already been on the journey currently being undertaken?

Is there a time limit to be able to still call this the same attempt?

p.s. I hope Barry turned the battery off and more importantly parked somewhere safe.

I'm sure it had wheels when I left it here!! :{

http://www.ascho.wpafb.af.mil/REMARKABLE/PHOTOS/PG-70.JPG

SilsoeSid
18th Jun 2004, 16:26
What an amazing guy.

Rather than simply cut and paste and take away web visits from the site, you can read about Wing Commander Ken Wallis at http://elshamwolds.50g.com/kwallis.html

Autorot8
19th Jun 2004, 07:09
I took the Team to visit Wing Commander Ken Wallis early this year. He was amazing. This 87 year old (!) looked after all of us for the day and showed us parts of WWII history that was captivating. He flew one of 'his girls' too. If you get the chance, go and spend the day with him.

All the best.

Barry.

SilsoeSid
19th Jun 2004, 13:20
As at:0840Z- 2004-06-19;

"Barry is getting an internal flight back to Baghdogra on Sunday at 10am local. He is planning to depart to Guwahati early monday morning."

Have a nice flight back, your Pilot awaits you! ;) :rolleyes:

http://www.emich.edu/public/public_information/flight.jpg

SilsoeSid
20th Jun 2004, 16:58
No further update as yet, but Barry should now be in Baghdogra.

I wonder how he is feeling? Not the Delhi Bellie thing but...........

Does anyone else remember their days at Wallop and that Sunday evening feeling, after a good weekend away? :{

It may well be just me, but did the 'Eagle memorial,' just down from the guardroom, suck the lifeforce out of you or what? :(

In the days of 'Choppers' something else could be found to do a similar thing..........apparently.........so I'm told !!!!!:E

SilsoeSid
21st Jun 2004, 08:38
As at:0353Z- 2004-06-21
Barry departed Baghdogra at 0353Z en-route to Guwahati. This is a short leg due to the likelihood of thunderstorm activity.

As at:0633Z- 2004-06-21
Barry landed at Guwahati in torrential rain this morning, after a 3 hrs 40 minute flight. Barry will call the Ops room later once he has settled in, as he only has his Sat phone to make calls. He is staying at the Offices Mess in Guwahati. All is well.

Suggested location for Barry tonight;
Officers mess TV room @ 1845hrsZ

http://students.bath.ac.uk/mn0lrk/music.1.jpg

SilsoeSid
22nd Jun 2004, 08:32
As at:0556Z- 2004-06-22
Having just spoken with Barry he has informed us that the weather has deteriorated to a stage were flying is not possible. With the mountains ahead looming up at 6000', he will have to stay put waiting for a clearance.

CURRENTLY
http://autofeed.msn.co.in/weather/current/11.gif

Light Rain
Temp: 27 °C
Wind: -
Rel. Humidity: 95 %
Barometer: 998.7 cm
Sunrise Time: 5:01 AM
Sunset Time: 6:48 PM

3-DAY FORECAST
Last updated Tue Jun 22 04:16:24 2004 (IST)

Today http://autofeed.msn.co.in/weather/Forecast/4.gif Thunderstorms Max 28°C Min 26°C
Wed http://autofeed.msn.co.in/weather/Forecast/4.gif Thunderstorms Max 29°C Min 26°C
Thu http://autofeed.msn.co.in/weather/Forecast/4.gif Thunderstorms Max 30°C Min 24°C

--------------------
Your opinion of me is none of my business.

SilsoeSid
23rd Jun 2004, 09:36
As at:0800Z- 2004-06-23
Weather continues to cause problems in the area of Guwahati. We are still waiting for confirmation on the weather forecast for the next few days. Today will be a no fly day again, as soon as we have confirmation we will post it up here.
The question now must be;

"Who chose the route?!!"

Same mission, same time of year, same year, same business, different fortunes,(so far)! http://www.easternatlantic.co.uk/rtw.htm

http://www.easternatlantic.co.uk/images/Faeroe%202_thumb.jpg

--------------------

SilsoeSid
24th Jun 2004, 15:50
I'm oop north at the moment and heard an interesting thing.....

Farnborough coming up, (next month?), Indian Air Force flying over transport aircraft to UK for the airshow.

Lots of bad weather ahead, diplomatic problems, 'other' factors and time restraints badly interfering with the GE project/mission.:(

Were they putting 2 + 2 together and getting 5, or is there a big announcement on its way? :suspect:

It's not just me!!

--------------------

volrider
24th Jun 2004, 16:36
Your not suggesting what I fear????

http://www.lowbudgets.com/chris/images/cancelled.jpg

I hope not :ugh:

http://www.animelibrary.org/toons/ranma/cancelled.jpg

If that happens PPrune wont be the same again and all that hard work the guys have done will be soon forgotten.....keep GOING GUYS:ok:

Hope this is all
:D http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/rage/images/bull.gif

SilsoeSid
26th Jun 2004, 09:23
From a recent article in the GAPAN 'Guild News'
His “Expedition Global Eagle” record attempt began on 26 April and he has travelled up to six hours a day in the gyroplane, which is much like riding a motorcycle in the sky. It feels safe and stable and in the unlikely event of an engine failure it is easy to land.
Two things here,

1. "Like riding a motorcycle in the sky, Whoops!

http://members.eisa.net.au/~johben57/evelposter.jpg

I hope Barrys landings are better than Evels, even if less impressive!!!!

2. Anyone want to see the video of a crashing, sorry, easy landing of Ken Wallis in Belfast after a reported engine failure?

p.s. If you are organising a wedding reception and the entertainment you have to choose from is between a golfer and an animator, remember......

Bing sings and Walt Disney!.

--------------------

SilsoeSid
26th Jun 2004, 13:14
Straight from the GE website.

Delayed due to Monsoon Season.

Due to the current weather conditions in India a decision has been made to halt the expedition until the monsoon has finished. It is expected that the trip will continue in late August / early September. Whilst this is both frustrating and regretable it is considered that to continue at this time could have serious flight safety implications.

Strange that this is page 13!!

The plug has been pulled;

http://home.online.no/~runest/Jersey01.jpg

--------------------

SilsoeSid
26th Jun 2004, 13:21
It's all over folks, well for the time being they say!

http://www.nurseweek.com/photos/98-7/plug1.jpg

Find out why on the Global Eagle thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1404075#post1404075)

volrider
26th Jun 2004, 20:39
Call me an old cynic:)
But I guess the well prepared Global Eagle Team didnt know about monsoon seasons;) ;)

SilsoeSid
26th Jun 2004, 22:38
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Images/Current/Misc/AAR07.jpg

Now, whats the score here?

Can Barry just come back home and try later, leaving the autogyro in situ?

Does he have to start all over again? (mileage effectively banked)

Can Barry + A/Gyro return, then when ready position to India and carry on?

Funny that when I popped into the GE Ops earlier this month, this very scenario was mentioned. "Halt the attempt, come back home and then carry on later."
mmmm....when does that class as fail ?

Do you have to declare a postponement before you 'have' to stop, in order to be able to carry on?

Shame that Richard Branson didn't think of it. "Right, we'll ditch her here and come back next month, launch off the side of a boat and claim the record!!!
Now then, who do I claim a postponement to again?

In the words of a good friend of mine....

http://www.coogans-run.co.uk/images/pics/paul-calf/paul-home.jpg

volrider
26th Jun 2004, 23:53
If these are the rules then.....pick up where left off in August/Sept then still claim the round the World bit...
I would like to nominate myself for a 1/2 the World round trip sometime during the dates of 2000 and 2004, by 767 and 757 and a Emb 135...I had a trip to Florida then 6 months later went to Hamburg and then a bit later on..can't recall the exact dates as I had a beer or two..went to Cyprus.. Now I recall checking the WX before I left on each trip as it helps to know which pair of shorts I would need... Do you think I can get sponsorship for this lot??
I intend to do the other half sometime over the next 30 odd years.... I think it could be named the Global ShyteHawk Challenge:rolleyes:

SilsoeSid
27th Jun 2004, 23:09
Picked off the messageboard on the GEwebsite;

" The aircraft will stay where it is, Barry is returning to Delhi, where he will stay there for about a week before returning to the UK.
Towards the latter end of August he will return to the aircraft with the engineer to make sure all is still well, then hopefully weather permitting will continue with the challenge early September.

..........the expedition is in no way over, this is just a small set back to completing the challenge on schedule. We had hoped to beat the monsoons but knew as time moved on this was becoming less likely due to earlier delays. "

Expedition Global Eagle.....Around the World in an Autogyro EVENTUALLY!!

I can't find the rules in relation to this part time record attempt at the FAI website. However it must be acceptable....mustn't it?

Tell you what I did find at the FAI site;

Sub-class : E-3 (Autogyros)
Category : General
Group 1 : piston engine

Distance without landing : 993.27 km

Date of flight: 22/02/2004
Pilot: Andrew C. KEECH (USA)
Course/place: Little Rock, AR (USA) - Hickory, NC (USA)

Rotorcraft:
Little Wing LW-5 (1 Rotax 914, 115 bhp)
Registered 'N100MK'

ratified on 10/06/2004 | Database ID 9179

That's that record gone, perhaps they'll be attempting the round the world trip shortly, as rumoured earlier in the thread! :ugh:

--------------------

SilsoeSid
29th Jun 2004, 00:50
Just had a thought that it a couple of weeks, this scenario could happen in The Three Musketeers, Boroughbridge.

http://www.nidderdale.fslife.co.uk/musketeers%20boroughbridge_tn.jpg

"Hi Barry, hows it going?"

"Fine mate thanks, how are you?"

"Great thanks. So Barry, what are you up to at the mo?"

"Well funny you should ask, I'm on a Round the World trip in an Autogyro. Never been done before, so I'll be setting a worlds first."

"Sounds interesting mate, but what the fek are you doing here?"

"Ummm....getting the round in I suppose!!"

Sorry, I still don't get how this works.

Coming soon......Standby for SSs around the world by pushbike expedition details, journey open to all.

--------------------

Autorot8
29th Jun 2004, 05:58
This Expedition is not about getting into the record books, it never was, its a pure fluke that no-one has ever done this flight before and if they had, i'd still be doing it. I couldn't care less if 'the rules' say I can or can't stop but what I do know is that they do not say that I should ignore Flight Safety for the amusement of little people. This flight is about adventure - its about putting yourself into situations that are new (even if they are only new to me) and then working out the best way to deal with them. Its about carrying on with the great British tradittion of adventure and not living your life through a computer screen! Its about me showing my Son's that, to live your life to the full you have to go out there and find it for yourself, about inspiering them, about showing them that the world is an amazing place, full of people that are willing to be part of this great adventure. Its about finding what it is that makes people tick, about dealing with triumph and failure, about feeling all the human emotions and enjoying them for what they are. Its about giving my Son's courrage and determination but always remembering that exploring all these emotions/places/people and experiences have to be done with an amount of level headed saftey.

If I make a bad decission that results in a Search and Rescue situation, I will be damaging expeditions and adventure for years to come, if I kill myself i'll probably be putting a stop to adventure for thousands of people. I know my resposabilities, I follow them, I bend the rules and I push the limits but there is a line that should not, and in this case, can not be crossed.

The Global Eagle site was designed for children, for schools. The fact that adults like to follow the adventure is grate but thats not what its about.

Just stop and think for a moment.......... If I simply push on, regardless of the dangers, what will be the result? If I make it, then the message to young impressionable people will be to ignore safety, you can do it anyway. If I kill myself, apart from leaving my children without a father, I will make myself look stupid for ignoreing the obvious signs and i'll be damaging the chances of other people exploring life through adventure after me.

The people who sit behind a computer screen, who simply pick fault with all that they see as though they could do better and everyone else is retarded are exactly the kind of people i'm teaching my Son's not to be. The kids that pick fault and bully other kids grow up to be the ones that think the world owes them, that everything around them isn't good enough - my children will never be like that!

I'm no flying nut, its not my passion at all. I could leave flying and never look back. I couldn't care less about setting a world record, Andy Keech is a friend of mine, I love it that he beat the record I set and someone will beat that, Andy and I have no doubt and no grater wish as far as that concerned.

If you don't like what you see with this project, don't come back, its not for you, its for my Son's - mind your own business.

Barry.
Expedition Global Eagle.
(Keeping a level head)

SilsoeSid
29th Jun 2004, 10:00
Handbags at dawn!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/yoursay/topics/images/gossip_200x135.jpg

Autorot8;If you don't like what you see with this project, don't come back, its not for you,
If you don't like what you see with this thread, don't keep coming back, it's not for you.
But you do keep coming back. Mmmm......I wonder why?

I wouldn't be any good on 'Just a Minute' with all this repetition I seem to keep having to do!

Just a couple of notes;

"This expedition is not about getting into the record books, it never was."
Really? A quick visit to the GE sit finds these words of wisdom;

"Expedition Global Eagle came about from an idea Barry Jones had back in 2002 to become the first person to fly around the world in an autogyro."
+
"If successful Global Eagle will become the First Autogyro to fly around the World and in doing so take it's place in the history books of aviation."

First person and first autogyro. 2 claims to put Barry in the record books if it is successful and in doing so, what was that? Oh! Yes, "place in the history books of aviation". :ok:

Most of the rest of that that rant was taken from some poem I'm sure I've seen somewhere, or was it a song ...mmmm...'We Are The World' wasn't it? (various US artists) Very nice and heart touching.

Steady on tiger, the real world is all over, outside those camp gates that is!!:ooh:
I'm no flying nut, its not my passion at all. I could leave flying and never look back.
Well, that's a little of the future redundency plan sorted then. I hope you'll not be getting re-current on type, thereby letting those who wish to fly, and have a passion for flying, fly. :E

As a final word, if GE was so concerned about safety, 3 little words spring to mind.....Time of Year! :ouch:

Remember also, I'm not the only one and the best place for your enemy is by your side. :uhoh: Nuff said!

SS
(keeping a leveller head)

--------------------

SilsoeSid
29th Jun 2004, 12:49
Just been thinking while doing a bit of gardening,

How come Barry just 'went off' on one?
All I asked was for confirmation on which rules, if any, the exped were on and how they related to a postponement.

Seems that someone is a bit touchy:ooh:

Interesting to know where you see and answer this following message first;

(cut & paste)
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:12 pm Post subject: Monsoon Hell....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Barry!

I just wondered: Considering this is a 'round the world' kinda trip, and I'm sure it has taken a lot of planning, was no-one able to predict or plan the possibility of the Indian monsoon early enough, for your route to be amended, in order to avoid the trouble location?

I understand it was rather sudden, yes, but the fact is - the monsoon happens every year - was it an accident that you were routed through the monsoon, or are your planners to blame?

I don't mean to be pushy, but a simple search on the internet finds that some areas of the world are destitute and unpassable at certain times of the year.

Anyway, best wishes for the rest of the trip, and I hope that this doesn't dampen your spirits

Kindest Regards,

Ralph Allison
Gillingham, Kent

--------------------
Remember....it's not just the ones who show themselves!

SilsoeSid
29th Jun 2004, 14:55
As at:1400Z- 2004-06-29

Barry is currently in Delhi, looking to return to the UK on Saturday 03rd July. This is only a temporary measure waiting for the monsoon season to abate over in India.
Have a nice few days in Delhi Barry, weather looks good for you! :p

Edited to reduce download time, (big live pic). For up to date satellite pic of monsoon, go here;

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/indian/images/xxirmet5.GIF

SilsoeSid
29th Jun 2004, 19:04
Just as a clue, the message from...

Ralph Allison
Gillingham, Kent

...is on the GE website.

http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/savedbygrace/stuff/answer.png

--------------------

SilsoeSid
29th Jun 2004, 21:25
From GE message board.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:29 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hi Ralph,

The departure date for this attempt was set in order to avoid the monsoon. Yes we were aware of when it normally starts and this was taken in to account.

Had we been fortunate enough for the trip to go according to the original plan then Barry would have been well clear of the Monsoon area at least 3 weeks before it started. A series of delays caused by various factors meant that the trip was behind schedule, this all contributes to the position we are in now.

I hope this helps

Pete"

--------------------

FJJP
29th Jun 2004, 22:36
Barry, I recently retired from the Royal Air Force after 38 years of FW flying a variety of types and fought a few wars in the process.

That establishes my credentials. I have a huge amount of admiration for your undertaking, and I am sorry that it has stalled due to circumstances beyond your control. I read your post with a great deal of sympathy and no small amount of emotion - you clearly have great pride in you family and I am sure they will grow up to be like mine. One is now a rotary pilot in the blue suit brigade and the other (with a PPL) is now wearing a brown suit. Like you, I am hugely proud of them and proud that they have responded to my standards and their upbringing in a loving and supportive family.

I agree with your sentiment about the small people who sit on their posteriors and whinge and criticise. If they were half the man that you are, then perhaps they would be more successful in life. I haven't posted often in the forums where your sojourn featured. Frankly, it is due, in the main, to one tedious individual who purports to support you, but succeeds in mocking and making fun of your efforts at every opportunity.

We are bigger people than that. There are many out there (the silent majority) who quietly admire you and wish you every success for your future endeavours. I will watch for future developments and progress. Please keep us informed on the Military forum as to future progress, and don't rise to that tedious little man...

Regards,

FJJP

SilsoeSid
30th Jun 2004, 10:40
Very B r i t i s h sentiment FJJP, I take you are still supporting Henman!

We love;
Tim Henman,
Stirling Moss,
Eddy the Eagle, .
Eric Moussambani, (the slowest swimmer in the history of the Olympic games)
etc (all losers)

We hate;
Michael Schumacher,
Prince Naseem,
Chris Eubank,
Nigel Mansell,
etc (all winners)

Most of you out there had never heard of Sir Steve Redgrave until he was going for his 4th Olympic Gold ! (He was a winner before you knew of him).

"Better to have tried and failed than not to had tried at all". Rule Britannia. :ok:

I take it then that FJJP will be contacting the UK History Channel and complaining about such programmes as, 'Biggest Cock Ups in Military History', 'What Went Wrong', 'Hindsight, what can we learn from...?'
I thought not.

Hindsight, check the met!
They taught you well Barry? REALLY? (GE msg board)

Perhaps there is a greater 'silent majority' than the one FJJP refers to, that knew something like this would happen. Dissapointment at a first major hurdle that could be forseen, stopping the show. (Reasonable excuse, expected at EGXDs bars, clubs and NAAFI queues, by the way).

Some of us may have given reasonable sized donations to the GE supported charities on the back of this, and feel mightily let down. :mad: (what did you donate FJJP? Although your opinion is still welcome here if the answer is nothing).

SS,
aka, 'that tedious little man'.

--------------------

Letsby Avenue
30th Jun 2004, 17:41
Hey Barry - Run it through a spell checker next time matey. I winced so much reading your last post I think I've developed a permanent twitch.....

volrider
30th Jun 2004, 18:06
Well it still dont answer the question...why plan to do the flight when the monsoon season was going to happen when you were there? was it due to bad planning or has your enthusiasum for flying or lack of it reading your post...taken over?
It seems that your happy to take the praise but if a critic asks questions you hide behind that b:mad:t post about families da-de-da..... Come on admit it you cocked up..:}
SilsoeSid has been your biggest supporter here I also have wished you well, so dont bite the hand that feeds you, honesty would breed respect not drivel and excuses!
Dont join Tim and the other British Hero's that revell in failure...when August/Sept comes continue and complete the journey, its worth doing and I for one be proud that its done by a Brit, no one should take chances with their life..but dont pretend that the Monsoon just jumped up and surprised you....ummmseems a team member or two is in the wrong job!!! They are the ones putting you in danger if this wasnt foreseen:uhoh:

SilsoeSid
30th Jun 2004, 20:48
A v.quick google search came up with this;

Normal dates of onset of south-west monsoon over Indian region.

http://www.imdmumbai.gov.in/Onset.htm

http://www.imdmumbai.gov.in/onset.gif

Now, there are those at GE who say, " we were aware of when it normally starts and this was taken in to account. "

Going through the message board posts on the GE site, arrival in India was always to be at the start of June, thereby taking on the monsoon head-on. (Arrived Ahmedabad 1st June !!!)

Enough of all this b:mad: ks about;

"small people who sit on their posteriors and whinge and criticise. If they were half the man that you are, then perhaps they would be more successful in life"

"Better to have tried and failed than not to had tried at all"

....etc etc.

Perhaps it would show more b@lls to postpone right from the start for another 4 months. But I suppose pressure overcame sensible descision making and forced Barry to begin the trip.

Army Flying Standards (allegedly) on the GE message board say, "Very well done thus far and an even bigger well done for making the right decision with the problems of the weather. "
(Barrys reply is a corker)

Look at it his way;
If you were on a Standards check ride and this same situation happened, ie take a chance on the Wx and get caught out, they would chew your b@lls off!
But if you said before departure, "Sorry the Wx will not be too good and I won't be able to achieve the aim safely, have a look at this lot of met", that, would be a good captaincy decision."

Then again, have standards ever been standard? (Another thread, best QHI to have for a standards trip :ooh: )

Perhaps some nests had already been feathered.:oh:

Must go to the 'Muskies' to check out the latest gossip ;)
SS (Pint of best, pack of pork scratchings and a panatella!)

--------------------

Autorot8
1st Jul 2004, 05:04
I have tried not to bother with this thread anymore but you both puzzle me. As experienced Aviators you must surely realise that planning a flight as big as this has many pit falls. The Monsoon season is but one of the seven weather patterns I will have to deal with. Some times there is a break in the weather, it might not come for three weeks and may only last for three or four hours. A few years ago, there was no Monsoon to speak of, its not as simple as it looks.
Added to the situation is the very very real security situation that I have PM Sid about. The Indian Air Force was providing me with security - my skin being the wrong colour for this area. But they were not happy to have me sitting in Imphall for weeks waiting for a break in the Monsoon. This added to the problems.
My late departure from the UK was the main reason for the situation I find myself in now. Of course we knew the risks, but we just might have been lucky enough to get a weak Monsoon and make it through. I was not in a position to delay the flight further - I have bosses too.
With regard to the family 'stuff'. I take extreem exception to your comments. What I said is exactly what I meant, its not from a poem or a bloody song, its how I feel about what i'm doing. Yes we are playing on the fact that its not been done before, that is the lever you need to get sponsorship. You know thats the reason and you also know that the Mil' are getting what they want from it too. What I don't understand is, why the hell you keep changing sides all the time? Some of your comments are supportive but most aren't just a slagging they are very distructive. Who do you think are my target sponsors? The Aviation Industry! So what impact do you think your slaggings have on the chances of getting support from the Aviation Industry when you use this forum to slag off our efforts?

I know that you actually like what you see and that in some bizzare way you support it, but you are doing more damage than good with 80% of what you write. Banter is one thing - i'm in the Army, I understand the concept - but you have made several attempts to damage this project, some that have lost me sponsorship! I don't think you really want that to happen.

There is only one person in my team you have a problem with but you're making us all suffer for it.

Cut me some slack - i'm doing my best!

Barry.
(Well fed up with this constant slagging).

SilsoeSid
1st Jul 2004, 10:02
If that's what you want slack can be cut, but to use this thread as an excuse for losing sponsorship is a bit straw clutchy. I didn't realise that this thread was so powerful. :cool:

If what most of what your 'supporters' say is true, ie. I am a tedious little man, sad git, SadmanSid, Clever t**t, tosser, cnut, very sad little man, a Dick, any other insults I've missed, who is going to take notice of the ramblings of someone described as such? :confused:

Surely any potential sponsor wishing to know more about the expedition would take the gen from the Global Eagle website or even maybe come and visit the team perhaps??
IMHO, I honestly don't believe that they would base their opinion on an open internet forum.

Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere! :hmm:

As you brought it up, your PM about security was adhered to by me as you requested. Unfortunately, the GE website webmaster didn't, and that, if anywhere, was your problem. All my updates were from your own site.
From 'Global Eagle' ;
"This project has had a lot of ups and downs, sadly too many downs for my liking and it's just a fact of life that people will form an opinion on just about anything. The fact is that as a team we have dealt with it and concentrated on a common aim. Some of my closest friends are serious doubters about the expedition succeeding, some openly declare it and others choose to say it after i've walked out of the door, after the smile and the "good luck".....

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at PPRUNE for their support, especially those that have taken the trouble to visit, and silsoesid for generating this thread. I DO NOT believe that there is no such thing as bad publicity but on the other hand I DO believe that everyone has the right to an opinion, and to voice it.

Best wishes

Pete Taylor
GE2004

A calm and well thought out post. I think Petes last paragraph there says it all. :ok:

By the way, just a little freebie helper, apart from Eastern Russia, Alaska (interesting reading here (http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/alaska.html) ), N. Canada, Greenland, Iceland and the Faroes at that time of year. :ugh: .........

Normal dates of withdrawal of south-west monsoon over Indian region;

http://www.imdmumbai.gov.in/withdrawal.gif

--------------------

RDRickster
1st Jul 2004, 11:53
Okay, this thread has gone way off scope. Gentleman, find a boxing ring and settle this... then have a few beers together. The Moderators are being too kind... or is it more likely that nobody cares to read this drivel anymore?

Autorot8, I wish you well on your next adventure.

SilsoeSid
1st Jul 2004, 17:42
As Global Eagle has been delayed/postponed/cancelled, whatever, it seems we have reached a 'half time analysis' stage. This as we can see is not going to be productive. While we wait for the 2nd half to begin, (too much footie on TV), lets look at some figures.

As we stand, PPRUNE has over 74,000 registered users. This thread has had more than 13,000 views and 199 posts.

There have been 10 usernames who have made derogatory comments here, either about the thread or myself personally. Many of these usernames have had single posts, and the remainder have only been 3 or 4. Hardly the figures to show that 'there are many out there' with the same feelings on this thread. :p

All these few tried to do was 'wind it up'. Notice how they were unable to sustain any discussion.

On the whole it would seem to me that a lot of viewers to this thread have come for the 'banter', arguments, updates, local knowledge en-route, fun pics and general updates. Even those who didn't understand a 'military sense of humour' can get the jist of it all.

Not only has there been local weather reports, satellite imagery, fun pics of Barry 'in country', and topical posts, it would seem that update reports have been posted with a bit more spice.

As I've said all along, if people didn't like it, they didn't have to return. Of those 10, they may not be posting replies anymore, but you can bet they are reading this still.

I'm happy to bow down for the time being, until it all kicks off again, (later this year??), however I have to reply to the comments made by people complaining about this thread.

Why don't they just use the GE site for their information?:confused:

--------------------

volrider
1st Jul 2004, 18:16
Okay, this thread has gone way off scope. Gentleman, find a boxing ring and settle this... then have a few beers together
Best get Autorot8 a half as he may struggle to finish a full one;)
Sorry couldnt resist that one:ok:
This thread has been informative, funny and damn interesting:D
Please dont expect roses all the time... We are chuffed this project was undertaken and also hopeful it will continue. A bit of good old Brit banter is a good side dish to any meal;)

Letsby Avenue
1st Jul 2004, 20:12
Hey..SilsoeSid, that's a cool home page piccie you've got there - is that a butt ugly ac or what?

Now - Who is SilsoeSid?

volrider
2nd Jul 2004, 17:13
Guess by lookin at your list of things thrown round the sky he's in the same "drivin line" as you:)

Heliport
2nd Jul 2004, 18:57
"The Moderators are being too kind... or is it more likely that nobody cares to read this drivel anymore?"

The Mods aren't being kind. We try never to edit/delete posts or close threads, and only do so when it's unavoidable. There's been nothing to justify intervention.

SilsoeSid's style and humour may not appeal to everyone but the thread's been read 13,196 times so it obviously appeals to others. It's given lots of publicity to Barry's brave attempt and kept us informed of his progress.

Heliport

SilsoeSid
5th Jul 2004, 11:59
There I was at the 'Vue' cinema complex in York, queueing up to watch Shrek2 with the family, tucking into the popcorn, when something caught my eye.

Walking into screen 6;

Was it?,
Could it be?,
Maybe it's a trick of the light!

But did I see Barry and a couple of the GE team walking in to watch Steve Coogan and Jackie Chan in;

http://images.killermovies.com/a/aroundtheworldin80days/gallery/0_poster.jpg

Probably not, just the excitement of being at the the cinema.......maybe !!!

Oddly enough, June the 16th is when Barry returned to delhi, by internal commercial flight, for a bit of " R & R". (The rot sets in !)
10 days later, the announcement of the 'delay', was made.

You can read the book online free here (http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Jules_Verne/Around_the_World_in_80_Days/)

That of course is the original version, when Phileas Fogg does it in one go :ok:

--------------------

Hank Bobinson
5th Jul 2004, 17:51
We try never to edit/delete posts or close threads, and only do so when it's unavoidable
ROFL my f****** ass off :}

SilsoeSid
5th Jul 2004, 23:27
While we have this short delay, why don't we all read the Jules Verne story of a round the world trip?

http://www.hiddenstaircase.com/pictures/baronet/B-aroundworld80days.jpg

If you don't have a copy of the book, there is always this link (http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Jules_Verne/Around_the_World_in_80_Days/) to the online book, which is free.

As the routes seem to be similar so far, we can see how close further escapades turn out..

Perhaps, as recent events are pretty close to the book, my very much earlier post about the signals store at Dishforth may not be merely just a rumour. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/xerx/smileythescream.gif

We can see how easy it is to 'photoshop' a few photos, (even by my limited knowledge of the programme) and the only real way of knowing what is going on, and where Barry is, is by websites. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/ez/ezpi_wink1.gif

It seems strange that where GE has halted geographically, the book also had a pause, not a thousand miles away .

Even stranger, that this particular chapter is entitled,

'IN WHICH PASSEPARTOUT RECEIVES A NEW PROOF THAT FORTUNE FAVORS THE BRAVE.'

Well, we won't be finding out if that's true or not for a while will we?

http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/contrib/ruinkai/FIREdevil.gif

--------------------

Autorot8
9th Jul 2004, 08:42
BETTER STILL - GO ON THE GLOBAL EAGLE (.CO.UK) SITE AND GET THE TRUTH.

SilsoeSid
9th Jul 2004, 11:21
Auto,

I keep telling everyone to do just that, but they keep coming here. :p

SS

p.s. Little things like updates and a direct link like this are nice.
http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/
If you've not been there for a week or so, you haven't missed much, well, anything in fact.

News page;
Article Name: Team to visit Rock School Date Added: 2004-06-15
Whilst Barry is delayed due to weather the team back in UK are going to visit Rock school near Alnwick

Last update,
As at:0900Z- 2004-07-02
Just developed are some images taken by Barry of his time in India, there are a lot more to come so watch this space.

I keep watching, but theres nothing happening!

SilsoeSid
10th Jul 2004, 14:47
Then suddenly....without warning......no update happened. :(

But what I did notice on the homepage is;

UTC Time: 14:31 | Barry's Time: 20:01 :confused:

Now where is Barry?? I'm always one for a conspiracy.
With no updates or much going on, I'll soon have to post my links for the Autogyro crash footage. :ok:

Such a shame that those who claim to have me on their 'ignore' list will miss out on this eye opening treat. :hmm:

I know you're there, so for those of you who have me on your ignore list, how are you reading this??

handysnaks
10th Jul 2004, 16:13
Isn't it strange how Barry and SS never publish at the same time.....:confused: :hmm:

Autorot8
10th Jul 2004, 18:08
SS.

Sorry I haven't put anything on my site, been playing the 'Dad' game and stuff like that. As an up-date then, i'm going to brief the Director Army Aviation next week and the CDS soon after that. Meeting with Brian Milton next week too, for some advice.

A fair bit of Film editing has to be done and i've got to bring the book up to date too. Got a few 'potential' Sponsor meetings to go to and a display or two to attend.

Went to see 'Around the World in 80 Days' and now my son's think i'm going by train for half of it!

Its going to be quiet for a while, as far as the web site goes, sorry.

Been picked up for my spelling - sorry about that, I have problems in that area. Where is the Spell Checker on this (Post a Reply) thing anyway?

By the end of next week I hope to be a ble to publish the last five days of my time in India from my Diary as an 'infill'.

Barry.

SilsoeSid
10th Jul 2004, 19:13
Thanks for that Barry,

Just been to the GE website, still no updates there.
It seems strange that the updates are coming straight here, from the GE team, before their own site. :confused:

You're not defecting are you komrad ?

handy,
it's also strange that you don't post the same time as us either. Perhaps we 3 are all the same person!

Perhaps there is only one person on prune.:ugh:

Conspiracy?? Capricorn one, ITV tonight midnight.
It's the Apollo programme modernised I tell you.:suspect:

SilsoeSid
12th Jul 2004, 22:41
http://www.geoexplorer.co.uk/sections/diary/diary_images/australia/tumbleweed_parachilna.jpg

.........nothing happened.

However, from my roving reporter somewhere in the south of England;

"As the storage facility in India is in an area prone to flooding at this time of year, it is believed that a replacement is being proccured and test flights are being carried out at D&T Middle Wallop at this very moment."

http://www.thecellarstore.com/images/sportracer-600.jpg

Hopefully Barrys conference with the DAAC will be a fruitful one and he will allow hot and high testing to continue.

SilsoeSid
13th Jul 2004, 18:40
It's not the weather thats the problem, it's these guys caught 'red handed' by my Indian correspondent.

http://mlbf01.fbm.hs-bremen.de/foerg/tragschr/montage1.jpg

So, the wheels were safe after all! :ugh:

By the way, did you turn the battery off Barry? :oh:

Letsby Avenue
13th Jul 2004, 20:15
Come on SSS spill the beans - How do you do it????

SilsoeSid
14th Jul 2004, 10:57
While back in the UK, Barry has had chance to select a navigator for the Russian leg of the venture.

Due to weight limitations, the candidates had to meet tough criteria.
[Small, light, the ability to catch their own food and clean up after themselves.]
Eventually, the successful candidate was chosen and then the fitting for flight gear began.

A good fit, just the visor to adjust!!!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.rodham/210504-bw.jpg

However, trying to get a flight suit to fit, created its own problems;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.rodham/pic17673_1.jpghttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.rodham/pic30333_1.jpg

FJJP
14th Jul 2004, 21:54
Normally for cases like this you can't get psychiatric help on the NHS. However, there is a possibility that a few strings can be pulled...

SilsoeSid
15th Jul 2004, 08:49
FJJP,Barry, I recently retired from the Royal Air Force after 38 years of FW flying a variety of types and fought a few wars in the process.
That establishes my credentials.
Now suddenly you are a psychiactric expert and able to refer someone for treatment without ever meeting them. And what credentials do you have in oder to be able to do this? :confused:

FJ, the thing about a twin personality is that you can sometimes have great conversations, :D :{ , and the round is cheaper.:ok:

While I'm here, I found this article, http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2779502
“The only things likely to stop me are fog or low cloud,” he said.
But I thought you all knew about the monsoons!!!:confused:

--------------------

SilsoeSid
22nd Jul 2004, 05:00
Well it's taken a drop down to page 3 of the forum for me to let y'all know of the updates of GE.

From the site;
The Global Eagle team will be down at Farnborough (by kind invitation of Chess Dyanamics) over the period 19th July - 23rd July. If you are down there we can be found on the Chess Dynamics stand in Hall 4.
If you are quick, you can miss them. :=
Even more exciting are the photographs that Barry took in India.:zzz:

(hint: I don't want to go back to the conspiracy theory again, but they look very much like a google/image search result to me and neither Barry nor the aircraft are in sight.) :ooh:
Well thats not quite true actually, as there is this pic of Barry http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/gallery/images/170__thb and as you can see the scenery in India is amazing !!!!! (sigs store Dishforth theory)

There seems to be a lot of different sponsors appearing, does that mean that the statement that this thread is destroying the exped by losing sponsors, was just wild and sweeping with no foundation?

Edit; Apology accepted, thanks
--------------------

SilsoeSid
24th Jul 2004, 00:41
At the moment, it is believed that the monsoon in SE India will not clear until October this year. Obviously delaying Barry a bit longer than could be anticipated.

The consequence of this may be problems further along the line in Russia/Alaska/NW US with the early snows of recent years.

In the meantime Fund raising has been the order of the day, so if you haven't already, it would be nice of you to contribute in your chosen way.

Visit this page (http://www.globaleagle.co.uk/charities.htm) and take your pick of the charities GE is supporting.

http://www.vanguardonline.f9.co.uk/bnice.jpg

--------------------

SilsoeSid
30th Jul 2004, 15:27
I heard a rumour that the GE team were planning to design a commemorative plaque to go somewhere on Dishforth Airfield in respect of GE.

With the possibility of the closure of Dishcloth and a move up the A1 to Leeming a possibility, this could be a nice idea for future generations to reflect upon.

I would like to suggest a few designs, with the GE website primarily in mind, obviously with the dates changed.

http://www.legeros.com/orleans/images/sign-nothing-happened.jpg
[http://globetrotter.crosswinds.net/travel/Photo2003IsleOfMan/030911_244_At_this_spot_nothing_happened.jpg

http://www.itsworsethanyouthink.co.uk/001/nothing1832.jpg

If you would like to see nothing happen, remember www.globaleagle.co.uk

--------------------

Autorot8
2nd Aug 2004, 14:50
Now, that WAS funny!!:D

SilsoeSid
3rd Aug 2004, 00:15
Here's an even better one;

On a different site, the question was asked, "Where is the Intrepid Mr Jones?"
The answer coming back is;The brave fella is sitting in the Indian region trying to outwit the monsoon season! Must be sick of the Ruby's by now I should think.

The Army, still treated the same;

http://www.ashland-city.k12.oh.us/ahs/classes/hort/2001/oct24/mushrooms.jpg

And who was it that this thread wasn't keeping anyone updated/informed and just doing harm?

northernmonkey
4th Aug 2004, 11:02
So which Army did you serve in then Silsoe?

Or is everything different now you have left?

SilsoeSid
4th Aug 2004, 11:28
Going back to your previous posts on prune Monkey, the same one as you! :p

I think most here will understand the link between military/mushrooms, unless of course things HAVE greatly changed, which I doubt.
I did of course put some thought into the picture of the mushrooms because if I posted them in the dark, then it wouldn't have been clear what they were now would it? :8

I remember the LSV drop at Dishcloth you mentioned on a different thread and also, the same person, if my memory serves me correctly, soon afterwards tried to lift a bowser with the Mk9, but not from the normal undersling point!! :uhoh: :{

[It's not that everything is different now I have left, it's just that I can now look at things differently.]

SilsoeSid
25th Aug 2004, 23:30
Barry wasn't planning on going to Australia during the round world expedition, but I used this as an experiment for the earlier pic posts in the thread.

Looks nice doesn't it? And by the way, this is a rumour network ! ;)

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/geagleSydneyOper4.jpg

No real updates from the GE site as yet, lots of fund raising and planning I believe. :ok:

SilsoeSid
30th Aug 2004, 02:40
If anyone knows the latest state of play, can they let us in on it please.

http://www.ping.be/~pin29174/lettuce.jpg
http://www.e-advertise.com.my/curio/funny/nose.jpg

(let us know(s))

Autorot8
1st Sep 2004, 08:17
I know the latest state of play Sid, here you go;

Due to the length of the Monsoon I am unable to gain permission to fly an Open Cockpit Gyro through parts of Canada and Greenland. We all have normal Mil' jobs to get back to and have to finish Global Eagle off by the end of the year. I didn't want to simply pack up and come home so I will be flying the Eagle to Sydney.
Its not what I wanted and i'm over the feeling of failure now. I've raised 17K since i've been back and we've made a few new friends in Oz. I expect to leave the UK for Delhi in mid September. Last advice from the |Air Advisor was that some bombs in Guwahati had killed 5 and injured 40 and the Monsoon in Myanmar STILL has a firm grip.

Over to you........

SilsoeSid
1st Sep 2004, 12:13
Thanks for that Auto and I'm sure those who do not visit here will appreciate the update to the website. (Hi Guys!!)

I imagine Barry is pretty hacked off about not being able to complete the journey through parts of Canada and Greenland due to the open cockpit. Perhaps if he re-routed to go through parts of Greenland and Canada where you are allowed to fly with an open cockpit, there may be a way to complete the journey.

A crying shame that after all the hassles, it turned out that a couple of friendly nations, Canada and Denmark, managed to scupper the attempt. :{

I guess a trip to Sydney must be setting a distance record of some measure?

If so, it must be a distance not worth challenging without going round the world in an attempt to better.

I realise that the end of the year is the cutoff date, despite all the support from the teams employers, but what is the timeline from Alaska to the UK?

A great dissapointment that this round the world attempt isn't, at the moment succesful, (everything has the scope of change!), but pppppp.

I'm sure we'll be following the altered journey with anticipation, awaiting the next adventure for Barry.
Watchout for them thar pirates on the way to Australia!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38154000/gif/_38154814_asia_pirates2_300map.gif

Autorot8
1st Sep 2004, 16:26
Just to clear this up a little, Canada and Denmark haven't said 'No', they have been very helpfull indeed, the issue is the Met' conditions. In order to cross some parts of the world in an aircraft like mine we have had to work in a few deals with regard to support aircraft however, the goodwill starts to run thin when we start to ask if we can do stupid things in stupid Met' conditions. Stupid things in good Met' conditions isn't so bad.:)
ppppppp is quite right! I've already been called Half a Job Jones by someone and I guess he's right! Shame, I thought I was perfect when infact its him who's perfect. I wonder what fantastic flights he must have done to see my flight to the other side of the planet in an Autogyro as a poor job? I'm in awe.
So, my late departure from the UK, my 'dilly dallying' across the globe and the long long and very powerfull (this year) monsoon has put time against me for fair Met' conditions. Time for the project was/is running out so I needed a fair conclusion. London to Sydney is what i've come up with.

All the best.

SilsoeSid
1st Sep 2004, 17:47
Due to the length of the Monsoon I am unable to gain permission to fly an Open Cockpit Gyro through parts of Canada and Greenland.
"Unable to gain permission", sounds pretty no-ish to me.
I see, they haven't said No, just that you can't do it. OK..!

I saw that comment on the message boards on the GE website also, (I have never posted there, I hasten to add), but there's no reason to react like that and don't give up just yet. Most of us would like to see you complete the round the world trip than not finish it at all.

Compare it to Paula Radcliffe. She would have more respect from the public if she had finished the Marathon, albeit way down the list, than give up after realising she wasn't going to get a medal.

As I asked before, what is the timeline from Alaska to UK?

In the words of Kate Bush......."Don't give up".