PDA

View Full Version : Oddest and unusal place names

rover2701
4th Nov 2001, 18:35
Whats the oddest place name you have ever been to.
I will start the ball rolling with Dildo, in Newfoundland, Canada.
I think also English language names as well. None of the outrageous outback names in OZ which are aboriginal in origin anyway.

Hagbard the Amateur
4th Nov 2001, 18:42
In the UK, Chipping Sodbury and here in Switzerland, T÷ss (You'll only get that one if you are familiar with UK slang.)

widgeon
4th Nov 2001, 19:28
of course there is W*nk close to Garmisch in Bavaria , used to have a postcard but I lost it.

I always laugh when I drive past the Wallops , lower , upper and middle.

[ 04 November 2001: Message edited by: widgeon ]

TAF Oscar
4th Nov 2001, 19:54
I have driven past Wankum (first junction in Germany after the border) so often that sadly it’s smirking potential has rubbed off (it took a lot of rubbing). It’s a similar story with most silly Dutch places like Loon-op-Zand, once worth a hearty guffaw but now just another place to pass on the way to the Efteling theme park.

However, a quick detour a couple of miles down the A44 and back just after Cologne, before turning right up the A61 towards Venlo and the old homestead, can be irresistible for the sheer pleasure of driving past the first junction down there, and the images of the town it conjures up. Ah, Titz, where would be without you?

On a similar theme, some of the bus companies in Italy have joined in with the fun: notably the SAD in Merano and the CLAP in Camaiore ("Did you walk?", "Nah, I caught the CLAP down by the cemetery").

TAFO

PaperTiger
5th Nov 2001, 00:31
Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico.
(Re-)named after a TV quiz show.
Why, I have no idea.

Loki
5th Nov 2001, 01:43
There`s a place in comrade Drapers neck of the woods called; Wide Open (no idea why)
Plus, somewhere in Jock Land called Rest and Be Thankful.
English favourite has to be Piddletrenthide.

tony draper
5th Nov 2001, 02:02
There is a place not five miles from Draper called NO PLACE, must be interesting for one hailing from that Bailywick to be stopped by the Constabulary and asked by a large Peeler where one dwells. ;)

Evening Star
5th Nov 2001, 02:41
TD

You are forgetting the comic possibilities for PITY ME :).

Gather there is a '****' on Shetland.

[ 05 November 2001: Message edited by: Evening Star ]

TowerDog
5th Nov 2001, 03:07
A small town in Norway named Hell.

Been there and back many times... ;)

Unwell_Raptor
5th Nov 2001, 03:10
I live quite near Pratts Bottom, and I went to Condom last June.

compressor stall
5th Nov 2001, 03:29
Ah yes, Hell, went through there a couple of times myself, there was also a Helvete too if my memory serves me correct Tower Dog?

As for non aborigninal place names:

Fannie Bay, Humpty Doo, Yorkeys Knob, they are Suburbs of Darwinx2 and Cairns respectively.

widgeon
5th Nov 2001, 05:00
http://www.panopix.at/garmisch/garmisch_wank.htm

hmm will it censor the link name too ?.

Arm out the window
5th Nov 2001, 08:11
'Sheba's Breasts' (Hills on the Atherton tableland, obviously named by some miner who'd been out there too long);

'Dootown' Tasmania, where all the houses have those bizarro names such as 'Gunnadoo', 'This'lldoo' etc.

TowerDog
5th Nov 2001, 09:17
Comp Stall:

Uh no, there is no such place in Norway:
Helvete...
It means hell in Norwegian. (As ya know.)

compressor stall
5th Nov 2001, 11:56
TowerDog, hmmm, the ol memory is failing me.

But another Oz pearler... Poowong on the southern side of the Latrobe valley. I even went to a party there once!

min
5th Nov 2001, 13:38
I went to a party in PooWong...had a g/f who's parents lived there...Stallie, I hope it wasn't the same party....!! :)

M.

Karl Costello
5th Nov 2001, 15:37
There's a place not far from Berlin called Pissdorf :)

SLF 999
5th Nov 2001, 16:00
Auchinshuggle nr Glasgow
Fannyside nr Cumbernauld

Sir_Lurkalot
5th Nov 2001, 17:41
Somerset (UK) has a village with the unlikely name of 'Nempnet Thrubwell', or how about the lake just outside Banff (alberta, ca) called 'Minniewanka'

:D

OldAg84
5th Nov 2001, 18:54
In New Jersey

Indian Names

Ho-Ho-Kus

Succasunna- "black rock" for the local iron ore. Grew up here, had a lot of fun saying, I'm from..." Usual reply,"suck a what?"

Texas
Dime Box
Snook

North Carolina
Lizard Lick

Pennsylvania
Blue Ball
Intercourse
Bird in Hand
Paradise
All in Amish country- were they ignorant or ironic? We'll never know.

Virginia
"You're Virginian? I though you said...."
Fancy Gap

Maine
Lake Moxie- I just like it.

That all.

Niaga Dessip
6th Nov 2001, 01:21
and back in England there is Great Snoring and Effingham..... :eek:

Dave Hedgehog
6th Nov 2001, 01:27
Don't forget Richard Whiteley's (UK Channel 4 Countdown) town "Whet Wang"

LatviaCalling
6th Nov 2001, 01:30
OldAge84,

Your forgot Lilltits, Pennsylvania, located not far from Bird In Hand, but I don't think it was near Intercourse. Who would want to intercourse with lilltits?

On the borderline here.

Send Clowns
8th Nov 2001, 01:18
Cornwall has a profusion, but my favourites are Mousehole (pronounced "mouzell") and even better "Water Matrout", pronounced as it is spellt.

tony draper
8th Nov 2001, 01:40
I almost forgot, there's a (Good Wife Hot)
not far from me.
Some of the farm names are very interesting,
Whistlebare, Bakethin,Make me Rich. ;)

Rollingthunder
8th Nov 2001, 03:09
Mousehole is a good one. do they still run the "Mousehole Cat" every christmas? Was it Star Gazey Pie?

In Ontario a few years ago a small town lost it's economic base and appealed to the federal government for assistance. If I remember correctly the PM (Trudeau) responded by saying that no help would be forthcoming unless the people of the town were in dire straights.

The town promptly changed its name to Dire Straights.

N2000
8th Nov 2001, 17:13
Hmmm C*ckermouth has always mad me grin. Its in Cumbria, England.

(Yep, it exists, have a peek at http://www.cumbria1st.com/Towns/cmoth.htm)

tony draper
8th Nov 2001, 17:28
There must be a stately home somewhere called FUGGAM HALL, is there's not there should be. ;)

crackerjack
8th Nov 2001, 17:36
There is a village near Stansted called Ugley, it also has a women's institute.

Which is good news, they try much harder :D

SLF
8th Nov 2001, 17:42
...and not forgetting the Loose Women's Institute just outside Maidstone in Kent, UK...

Eric
8th Nov 2001, 17:52
...and the Idle Women's Institute in Yorkshire...

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: Eric ]

Feeton Terrafirma
8th Nov 2001, 18:23
Hmmm, I live near Emu Bottom. Bit scary that, what if it far........ nuh wouldn't would it?

:eek:

Gainesy
8th Nov 2001, 19:01
Probably be a good idea to open a laundry in Grimethorpe, Yorkshire.

HugMonster
8th Nov 2001, 20:52
In a previous existence, I used to work with a guy who was in the Salvation Army. He told me that any SA church is called either "Citadel" or "Temple". He also told me that when the SA opended a new place just outside Croydon, they were not allowed by head office to call it "Shirley Temple".

PS Thanks to reading this thread, I've now got a song going through my head:-

"Fuggam Hall, Fuggam Hall,
The long and the short and the tall,
Fugg all the sergeants and WO 1's
They'll get their desserts when Jerry next comes,
And if ever the aircraft should stall,
It's a hell of a long way to fall,
No roses, no violets for left-footed pilots,
The long, short and tall,
Fuggam Hall"

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: HugMonster ]

Elliot Moose
9th Nov 2001, 03:22
I lived for four years in a town in Northern Ontario called Pickle Lake--which is of course a mere four miles from Pickle Crow. :rolleyes:
Of course my best friends were from someplace between Joe Batt's Arm and Seldom Come By Cove (on Fogo Island) Newfoundland!

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: Elliot Moose ]

Mirkin About
9th Nov 2001, 03:43
Tasmania has DOO TOWN (near Port Arthur) where all the houses are "humorously" named .
Places like "This'll DOO" ,"Nothing to DOO" "cockle DOOdle DOO" . Aww you get the idea.. :p

pigboat
9th Nov 2001, 05:12
Hey Moose, is the national anthem of Pickle Crow still,

"I am Barney's little Lamm,
Yes by Jesus Christ I am?" :D

gumbi
9th Nov 2001, 07:40
There's a VOR in Wyoming, don't know if it has the same name as the town but here goes:

CZI : Crazy Woman

compressor stall
9th Nov 2001, 08:51
Then there is that place in Southern Alberta called Head-Smashed-In-Buffalo-Jump.

The French name for the same place was alas far less eloquent, but I cant remember what it was. Pigboat, can you help?

DrSyn
9th Nov 2001, 09:16
In England we have also, Upper Dicker, Sussex, and Tosson Hill, Northumberland. In Fyn, Denmark, there is of course everyone's favourite, Middelfart.

Elliot Moose
9th Nov 2001, 09:34
Sorry Pigboat, but the last of pickle crow got bulldozed about 6yrs ago. It's now just an open field with a whole lot of pretty drill cores lying in the bush. There is talk of opening a mine out there again soon though.
Not too many folks living around there these days who would remember back as far as the Barney Lamm days. :(

Tom the Tenor
9th Nov 2001, 13:37
There is another village near Stansted with the sad name of Cold Christmas. How appealing!

Bird Strike
9th Nov 2001, 16:54
Fulking
Devil's Dyke

Both in Sussex, England, I think.

Mert
10th Nov 2001, 01:01
I can't say I've been to all of these places, and won't say which ones I have been to either! :p
Earth, Texas.
Buttzville, New Jersey.
Sugar Tit, South Carolina.
Hardup, Utah.
Blue Ball, Arkansas.
Boogertown, North Carolina.
Big Piney, Wyoming.
Cut And Shoot, Texas.
Bald Knob, and Toad Suck, Arkansas.
Waterproof, Lousiana.
Climax, Colorado.
And last but not least... Crappo, Maryland.
:)

AerBabe
10th Nov 2001, 01:45
There's a Shellow Bowels somewhere in Essex....

overstress
10th Nov 2001, 01:55
The village of Cocklicks :) , Dumfries & Galloway, also my favourite Klitměller, NW Danish coast (supposed to have a / through the letter 'o' - how do I do that!)

edited to pierce the o in Klitměller (mind working overtime - pierced Klit etc)

[ 09 November 2001: Message edited by: overstress ]

PaperTiger
10th Nov 2001, 02:31
°°°°°°°°°° or perhaps ǿǿǿǿǿǿǿǿ, maybe even ФФФФФФФФ.
(Hint: start, programs, accessories, systems tools, character map)

pigboat
10th Nov 2001, 07:05
Sorry stallie, can't help ya on that one. Always heard it called Head Smashed In. There was another one, Pile O' Bones, that was renamed Regina, in honour of Queen Victoria.
There's a place in Nunavit called Kangiqsualujjuaq. Pronounce it the same as it's spelt. :eek:

Charlie Foxtrot India
10th Nov 2001, 17:06
Ah, the Wallops...Old english word meaning "Many Helicopters" I think. I grew up near them in a place called Red Rice, then the folks moved to a village called Little Ann.
:) Cute.
Of course Sarah Ferguson comes from a village in Hants called Dummer.
I like Westward Ho! in Devon, apparently the only place name with an exclamation mark in it.
Some good ones in Jersey, fun to pronounce, such as Quaisne pronounced Way-Nay (home of The Smugglers Inn, worth a visit)
Here in West Aus a lot of them end in -ing or -up such as Popanyinning, and Gnowangerup.

How come there are no Welsh names here?

"Never ask a Welshman for directions Baldrick, you'll be washing spit out of your hair for a month" :cool:

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: Charlie Foxtrot India ]

Mert
10th Nov 2001, 21:35
Pigboat,
every time I'm updating my Canada Jepps and see that one ( and a few others ) I always wonder if anyone in the world knows how to pronounce it!
So... Kangiqsualujjuaq, is actually pronounced Kangiqsualujjuaq then? heheh
:p

widgeon
10th Nov 2001, 22:44
I went to college in Connahs Quay and it was always cute when one of the locals exclaimed that he lived in Hope ( on the Wrexham road I think ).

I work for Cunard.

ShyTorque
10th Nov 2001, 23:39
Wyre Piddle always makes me smile. :)

M.Mouse
11th Nov 2001, 02:56
Slip End in Bedfordshire, UK is not so funny in itself except that I always wanted a pub there and to name it the Slip End Inn.

I Follow Ridges
11th Nov 2001, 06:26
Used to fly into a Native village in Alaska called Tatitlik (beside where Exxon Valdez ran aground).

Locals affectionately called "Tatiklikers"

henry crun
11th Nov 2001, 06:57
On Pitcairn Island there is a cliff called "Oh Dear" and a headland called
"Break im Hip"

Ed Winchester
11th Nov 2001, 10:08
St-Louis-Du-Ha! Ha! in Quebec and Belcher Islands in Nunavut. :)

Cardinal Puff
11th Nov 2001, 13:33
There's a small town in South Africa called Hotazel, so named by the unfortunate mining engineers who stayed there. For sheer bloody minded length to rival even the Welsh there's Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein. The literal translation is "two buffaloes shot stone dead with one bullet fountain".

On a more mundane level, Afrikaans tends toward a certain verbosity regarding certain words, ie a tubeless tyre is a binnebandlosebuiteband, meaning "an outer tube without an inner tube". It's a great language to use in anger as even "Good morning" can be made to sound like a threat.

WX Man
11th Nov 2001, 14:15
Titsey, in Kent.

Then that really long one that I am going to write for the sole purpose of impressing all but our Welsh contributors:

Llanfairpwyllgyngyllygogerychymdrobbllantrysititliogogoch

HugMonster
11th Nov 2001, 16:29
Wrong!

Llanfairpwyllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobyllllantysiliogogogoch ;) (Mind you, not entirely sure THAT's correct. Is it gwyngych or gwyngyll?)

Tarek Nor
11th Nov 2001, 20:29
I always liked Hinton-in-the-Hedges. :cool:

pigboat
11th Nov 2001, 22:51
Mert, you can try and get yer mouth around that, or do like we do and call it George River. :D
I used to know a guy from Alpine, TX. He told me the next town over to the west was called Marfa, and at the annual football game they used to yell, "Go Marfadites, go." Said the ensuing fist fights were better than the game itself. :D :D

Loki
12th Nov 2001, 01:13
Anybody mentioned Ashby de la Zouche yet? (not entirely confident about the spelling)

or Mudchute? How about Gallions Reach?

There`s also a Moscow somewhere in deepest Ayrshire and a Pennsylvania just north of Bath.

henry crun
12th Nov 2001, 02:35
OK Hugmonster and Wxman you asked for it, can't have the Kiwis left out of this.

Taumatwhakatangihangakoauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu. :)

HugMonster
12th Nov 2001, 03:00
OK - I surrender! ;)

In Tortola, BVI, I always liked "Soper's Hole"

PS - and "Little Snoring"

[ 12 November 2001: Message edited by: HugMonster ]

tony draper
12th Nov 2001, 03:18
The longest place-name in the world is the full name for Bangkok, the capital city of Thailand: KRUNGTHEP MAHANAKHON BOVORN RATANAKOSIN MAHINTHARAYUTTHAYA MAHADILOKPOP NOPARATRATCHATHANI BURIROM UDOMRATCHANIVETMAHASATHAN AMORNPIMAN AVATARNS ATHIT SAKKATHATTIYAVISNUKARMPRASIT, meaning "The land of angels, the great city (of) immortality, various of devine gems, the great angelic land unconquerable, land of nine noble gems, the royal city, the pleasant capital, place of the grand royal palace, forever land of angels and reincarnated spirits, predestined and created by the highest Deva(s)." [Stuart Kidd; name taken from Guinness Book of Records

Ha! take that. ;)

HugMonster
12th Nov 2001, 03:57
LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH (Wales)

GORSAFAWDDACHAIDRAIGODANHEDDOGLEDDOLONPENRHYNAREURDRAETHCERE DIGION (Yep, Wales again)

NUNATHLOOGAGAMIUTBINGOI (Eskimau - Alaska)

Lake CHARGOGAGOGMANCHARGOGAGOGCHARBUNAGUNGAMOG (Massachusetts) It supposedly means "You fish on your side, I'll fish on my side, nobody fish in the middle."

Lake MOOSELOOKMEGUNTIC (Maine)

EL PUEBLO DE NUESTRA SENORA LA REINA DE LOS ANGELES DE PORCIUNCULA (Los Angeles, of course)

The shortest placenames in the US may be L (a lake in Nebraska) and T (a gulch in Colorado), each named for its shape, and D (a river in Oregon flowing from Devil's Lake to the Ocean near Lincoln City). According to Howard Lewis, the D River is the shortest river in the world. There are villages called ┼ in Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, a Y in France, and U in the Pacific Caroline Islands.

[ 12 November 2001: Message edited by: HugMonster ]

Mirkin About
12th Nov 2001, 09:07
IRON K N O B in South Australia.

Ranger One
13th Nov 2001, 08:22
No contest

Yorkshire

(that's in England):

Blubberhouses

I kid you not.

R1

sir
15th Nov 2001, 04:59
in Graubunden Switzerland there's a village called 'C u n t e r'

Near York there's Bolton Percy - isn't that what you're given when you go in for a Strapadicktomy ?

In the Republic of Ireland there's a mountain range called McGillycuddy's Reeks.

str12
15th Nov 2001, 10:49
There's a place in New Zealand with a place name that's 150+ letters. Its about 150Km south of Napier and is signed as being the longest in the World.

Also a place called 'Muff' on the West coast of Ireland and you guessed it, there's a dive club called 'Muff Divers'.

Badgers Mount near Orpington.

Str12

henry crun
15th Nov 2001, 11:05
Str12, I think you will find that the place you refer to is the one I posted above, but we have been beaten by Mr Drapers post,
the G book of records does not lie :)

Little Fly Girl
15th Nov 2001, 17:41
My tutor at college (who taught English and History....) once told my class this....

Many centuries ago (she gave an exact year, but I've forgotten it now...) there was a Lane in the centre of London called Grope C*nt Lane!! :eek: :D :eek: Now, she may (of course) have been taking the mickey, but she did produce reasonable evidence at the time. I wonder what the meaning of those words was back then?! ;)

LFG

4llA
15th Nov 2001, 18:46
LFG
I Think we've seen this before. What we need is proof. I've tried internet searches of old London street names (Rillington Place (Dr Crippen)has disappeared together with various lanes made infamous by Jack the Ripper)but I cannot find grope c unt anything..
Meanwhile, I used to live in Labour-in-vain Road - a very very steep road near Wrotham (pron. rootum) Kent.....

1.3VStall
15th Nov 2001, 18:59
Whilst on detachment to Denmark many moons ago we stumbled across a beach-side pub named the Cafe Klit Rose. We never worked out whether it was named after a place, or something else, but it made us smile every time we had a beer there!

tony draper
15th Nov 2001, 19:01
Thats perfectly true, I mentioned it earlier in the thread,although I thought it was Scratch c*nt lane. ;)

Tricky Woo
15th Nov 2001, 19:10
Skiing last weekend at Laax, Switzerland. Half way up the mountain is a place called Crap. Honest injun.

How we all tittered.

TW

Little Fly Girl
15th Nov 2001, 19:37
Sorry guys... I did scan through the previous pages briefly, but obviously missed a bit, sorry to repeat what appears to have been said!

Oh, and I don't have any evidence either (and have absolutely no desire to return to college to find it! :rolleyes: )

Maybe Mr. Draper can come up with some proof?...

LFG

tony draper
15th Nov 2001, 20:52
I did read about that thingy lane years ago can't remember where now, Bill Bryson mentioned it again in his book, Visit to a Small Island, I had read that much more recently, no details just that it exsisted in Elizabethan times, and your right, it was Grope Thingy Lane.
I seem to recal it existed up until the early Victiorian times when those prudes had it changed, hmmm pity, what a fantastic address to have. ;)

Little Fly Girl
15th Nov 2001, 21:06
Tony Draper really is a walking (I asssume!), talking, human Encyclopedia!!
I am not worthy! :D

lubicon
15th Nov 2001, 21:20
In Canada, Climax, Saskatchewan.

PaperTiger
15th Nov 2001, 22:01
4llA
The Oxford English Dictionary's earliest 'c*nt' citation is dated 1230: at this time, in the Stews (brothel) area of Southwark, there was a street called Gropec*ntelane. Peter Ackroyd cites further examples: "there was a Gropec*ntelane in the two parishes of St Pancras and St Mary Colechurch (also known as Groppecountelane, 1276 and Gropecontelane, 1279)" [Ackroyd, 2000]. Similarly, there was a Gropec*ntlane in Oxford (later renamed Magpie Lane), a C*nte Street in Bristol (later renamed Host Street), and, in London, a C*ck Lane ("Clarice, of cokkeslane" [Langland, 1362]), P*ssing Alley, and Sh*tteborwelane. Gropec*ntelane may have been shortened to Grope Lane, and a similar (though less graphic) example can be found in York, where a Grope Lane was "renamed [Grape Lane] by staid Victorians who found the original Grope - historically related to prostitution - too blatant" [Wainwright, 2000]. In addition, the USA boasts a Ticklec*nt Creek. Graeme Donald cites another form of public usage of 'c*nt' as a proper noun, this time in medieval surnames, two of which predate the OED's earliest citation: "such female names as Gunoka C*ntles (1219), Bele Wydec*nte (1328) and presumably promiscuous male sporting names such as Godwin Clawec*nte (1066), John Fillec*nt (1246) and Robert Clevec*nt (1302)" [Donald, 1994]. Explaining that "Any part of the body which was unusual [or] remarkable was likely to provide a convenient nickname or surname for its owner" [McDonald, 1988], James McDonald cites the further example of Simon Sitbithec*nte (1167, again predating the OED).

tony draper
15th Nov 2001, 22:12
HE HE HE HE, Bloody brilliant
Gunok C*ntles, Bele Wydec*nt ;)
I remember a episode of Time team when the area of their dig had a small river called The Sh*t burn, if I remember correctly, plainly shown on the ordinance survey map they always show, they spent the entire episode studiously trying to avoid saying that.
That blonde archeologist with the nice legs had to say it eventually.
Hmmm, Draper quite fancies her.

[ 15 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

[ 15 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

DX Wombat
16th Nov 2001, 04:42
That was rather naughty Eric! It is the "Idle WORKING MEN'S Club" not the WI. In fact, I don't think there is a branch of the WI in Idle. It is, or was, located on Albion Road, Idle, Bradford, BD10 People used to come from all over the place to be photographed outside it. On a more interesting note, from an alcoholic point of view, how about "Once Brewed" and "Twice Brewed" from Mr Draper's neck of the woods? :D :D :D

Squiddley
16th Nov 2001, 09:14
"Del Mar Heights" in California. Ask any Cantonese speaker.... :D

tony draper
16th Nov 2001, 13:03
Draper knows Idle well, used to service some camera systems there.
Strange place Bradford, installed a camers system on a small industrial estate there, it was hoped to discourage the ladies of the night from plying their trade up against the walls of various wharehouses and factory units, not so, they happilly carried on their business but produced pornographic video's as a side effect. ;)

bodger
16th Nov 2001, 14:32
In Lincolnshire (UK) there are two villages close to each other called "Old Bollingbrook" and "Mavis Enderby"

There was a road sign which said "To Old Bollingbrook and Mavis Enderby"

Underneath this someone had written

"The gift of a son"

Amusing in a naive sort of way. :)

[ 16 November 2001: Message edited by: bodger ]