PDA

View Full Version : Locking up laptop

phnuff
13th Feb 2004, 23:56
Just a FYI

A few weeks ago, there was a thread about locking up laptops running Windows XP (in my case home). I was experiencing the problem and pulling my hair out as a result. After reinstalling XP and various bits of messing around, a local guru who was messing around with DOS shells noticed that it only went wrong when using the Gui. We reset the screen resolution and lo and behold, it has not locked now for about 10 days. The suspect is now the screen driver.

Richard, could I bounce the likelyhood of this being a cause off of you oh proon guru

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Feb 2004, 00:22
phnuff,

It is very possible that it was a bad video driver. With WinXP you can set your screen to Plug and Play Compliant and no further drivers are needed. Your Video Card is a different story. It is best to have the latest drivers from the Video Card's Chipset Maker.

Let your local guru download the proper video drivers for you. Then make sure you set the screen to the the resolution that is native for that screen.

Take Care,

Richard

phnuff
16th Feb 2004, 20:08
Groan - no luck. Back to freezing up. I replaced the harddisk. but still no luck. I now suspect that the HD controller is dying. Oh well, now have new machne and will get old one tinkered with by hardware bods

Hopefully, will fix