PDA

View Full Version : AOL compatible ADSL wireless modem/router suggestions?

pilotwolf
13th Feb 2004, 23:32
Help!

Looking toupgrade to broadband connection via BT line, for AOL in the near future.

The intention is to use a wireless router/modem for connecting 3 machines to the service, (not more than 2 at a time).

AOL only list the Speedtouch 570 and ?545 as being supported - presumably for marketing reasons as the manufacture also provides the broadband installation!

Anyone use any other make and model? Any suggestions for a suitable low(er) cost alternative?

All machines will be running XP and 11mbs 802.1b wireless....

PW

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Feb 2004, 00:17
pilotwolf,

Why do you need to go though AOL to get broadband?

You can get any provider and then sign up to log into AOL over a broadband connection if you still want to keep AOL after you experience the speed of Broadband. There are many solutions out there, do not feel you need to use AOL to get broadband service.

All AOL is doing is selling someone else's service and taking a cut off the top for doing so.

Take Care,

Richard

ORAC
14th Feb 2004, 02:19
AOL should work with any router, but you have to configure an account both for the router and every PC which will log on through it. See here (http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101194.asp) from Netgear.

Which might be seen as a recommendation for a Netgear router...

pilotwolf
14th Feb 2004, 19:01
...I know I don't have to use AOL but as I m already with them I don't see the point in paying another ISP too or changing and the hassle of telling everyone my new email details.

Also here in the UK the different braodband suppliers seem to have the market pretty well sewn up and all charge almost identical rates!

I assumed most routers/modems would work but didn't want to buy the only one which didn't work with AOL!

PW

Daysleeper
14th Feb 2004, 19:52
Little off topic but for info AOL will not work over apple Airport networks under Panther. Software update supposed to be avaliable for AOL but no one seems to know where it is. The AOL call center in New Dehli were particularly usless.

daysleeper, stuck in a non broadband enabled area. :{