PDA

View Full Version : Ghosties and Ghoulies and things that go "Bump" in the nite

cudgy_funt
16th Jun 2001, 23:44
Whaats the best ghost story you've ever heard?

For example the 1 Freddie Star told Muhammed Ali (well it wasn't really a ghost story, but it made him jump!)

And you?

wuhahahahahaaaaaaa
(evil laughter)

BlueDiamond
17th Jun 2001, 06:48
I've heard many ghost stories but my favourite is "The Shepherd", a short story by Frederick Forsyth.

It's a beautifully written tale of a young Vampire pilot trying to get home to England from Germany on Christmas Eve in 1957.

Dangerously low on fuel and with no working instruments or radio, he is shepherded by the pilot of a Mosquito to a disused R.A.F. base where he successfully lands in fog.

It's a very short story - less than 60 pages - and was written some thirty years ago. Many Ppruners will already be familiar with it I'm sure but I would thoroughly recommend it to any pilot who has not already read it - in fact I would recommend it to anyone at all.

Send Clowns
17th Jun 2001, 13:14
It si a great tale, Blue. I have not read it in years, and had forgotten Frederick Forsyth had wrotten it. Must find a copy.

------------------
'Me here at last on the ground, you in mid air'

gandelf
17th Jun 2001, 15:05
But are there such things as Ghosts ??

(I`m off to rattle my chains now !)

[This message has been edited by gandelf (edited 17 June 2001).]

DanAirline
17th Jun 2001, 21:51
Not many good stories but take a look at this:

http://www.airdisaster.com/precrash/tenerife.shtml

------------------
Regards, Dan

flying is gniylf backwards

tony draper
17th Jun 2001, 22:33
Strange story my sister in law told me many years ago.
Shortly after the war, he father took herself and her older brother for a drive in the country on a sunday afternoon.
They drove to a small country village called Ovingham on the river tyne about twenty miles from home ,got out the car and went for a long walk.
Meanwhile at home her mother was having tea with a neighbour, she apparently didn't like counry walks.
As they sat drinking tea and nattering the family dog walked in and flopped down in its usual place.
In those days dogs where allowed to wander about much more than they are now, and where more or less just pieces of mobile furniture.
The dog stayed for a while then got up and wandered off again.
Nothing unusual about this,
The country walkers returned a couple of hours latter along with dog, which had decided to jump in car and go along with them for the ride, the dog had never left their sides the whole afternoon.
The dog although a heinz 57 type mongrel was very distinctive looking so there was no mistaking said hound for a one that just wandered in from the street ,which was very unlikely anyway.
So, ghost of dog that could not have been a ghost, because it was not dead. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Skycop
18th Jun 2001, 02:39
Our 16 year-old dog sadly had to be put down some years ago.

That night, following his very sad demise, both my wife and myself heard the sound of his single bark by the back door, as he always did, to be let in. We both jumped at the sound.

Yes, I went and let him in.

Eric
18th Jun 2001, 02:45
Skycop............well?........???? Did he come in?

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 18 June 2001).]

Bob Hawke
18th Jun 2001, 12:26
Not that it has happened to me, but a few of my fellow colleges have experienced bumps in the night, power being turned off and on continually without anyone in the room, or near the switches.

One Captain had his book, which he was reading knocked out of his hands. Didn't happen once, but twice. Whilst having a shower the lights were turned off. No, there wasn't a power failure, and when he got out of the shower, he felt something bump against him, as he searched for the switch.
Lights back on, finish the shower, and same damn thing again.

By this time he had jack of all this, rang the reception, told them what happened, and they replied, "Captain, you lasted the longest in that room, normally the other crew are complaining and out of there in half an hour of arriving."

They changed his room. In any event, he tried again, on another nightstop, same thing, and asked to be moved out. Now he wont accept that room.

Hotels are reputed to be actually more haunted than other buildings, if you believe that sort of stuff. Anyway, alot of our cabin crew sleep together, for that reason, in the same room, not seperate rooms. And you buggers thought it was for another reason. Shame on you all!

Now there is a good line guys, for the new cabin crew. Try it.

I never have experienced, maybe I outghoul the ghouls, but one does here stories, and that is exactly what this is.

Over to you chaps.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hawke (edited 18 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bob Hawke (edited 22 June 2001).]

Skycop
18th Jun 2001, 21:43
Eric,

I can't say as we moved house about 2 weeks later.

Perhaps, even now, on a dark, windy night, the old black dog still barks at the old back door.....

I still miss the old [email protected]@er!

SC

gandelf
19th Jun 2001, 22:35
Thought you might like this Skycop :-

To a Dog
Eyes that say “it`s time to go”
I`ll go and fetch my lead you know
Eyes that follow you around
Ears prick at the smallest sound
Eyes that laugh when playing ball
Feet come running when you call
Eyes that smile when they greet
A lick and a wagging tail you meet
Eyes with time that start to dim
You know a puppy lies within
Eyes that trust your every move
The end is close, you try to sooth
Eyes that have of you no doubt
You tremble as you take him out
Eyes that put their faith in you
The Vet says what he must do
Eyes that close as if in sleep
Memories are all you keep
Eyes that loved you to the end
Time to say “goodbye old friend”

Skycop
21st Jun 2001, 00:23
Gandelf,

Yes, sniff, thanks , sniff, sniff, a lot.

Bwaaaa!

SC

Steepclimb
21st Jun 2001, 13:43
In my family there's a tradition that when a member dies there are three knocks on the window either concurrently or later. This has happened several times now, often on the upper stories of houses.

Staying in my sisters house in London, an old Victorian pile in Sydenham, I woke with a start in the spare room several times with the impression that someone had passed by or through.
Thought no more of it until I casually mentioned it to someone in the family. They had the same experience in that room in fact only one person who stayed there never experienced the feeling.

cudgy_funt
21st Jun 2001, 22:50
Dan Airline, are you referring to the name on the back of the KLM? Brings up another question; Do airlines name thair aircraft after "unlucky" things, for example, "The Flying Dutchman"?