PDA

View Full Version : Genair?

Hufty
13th Feb 2004, 21:16
Does anybody remember Genair? I have a copy of a book at home I bought when I was a kid that was written by a SD-330 Captain for them and I just wondered what happened to them. They were a British Caledonian subsidiary so I guess they just became part of BA. :sad:

Chillwinston
13th Feb 2004, 21:55
Hufty,

Genair (a meger of Genair, Eastern Aw & Cassair) operated from HUY until their demise in 1984.

Main routes Teeside-Humberside-Norwich-Heathrow (Ex-Air UK Route), Humberisde - Esbjerg, Blackpool-Liverpool-LGW amongst others.

Owned by GeneraL Relays (Crewe) limited and operated on behalf of BCal Commuter (But not owned by BCal)with SD.330, SD.360, Bandie's and had a company golden eagle (u/c failure @ Norwich, I believe)

Genair prior to their merger with Eastern/Cassair operated from Liverpool operating 1x Bandy as a company a/c / ad-hoc and increased a/c upto four I believe, main routes Liverpool- Gatwick and Leeds-Bradford Gatwick.

Cassair prior to merger operated from Teeside operated an SD330

Eastern (Owned then by present chairman of Eastern Aw Mk II) Aw opertaed from Humberside operating DC3 (Early days), SD330 and SD360 a/c

Hope this helps, any further information required please PM me as I have alot of information, including recievers report / breakdown of route costs etc

Would be intrested in reading the book you have!

Chillwinston

IB4138
14th Feb 2004, 03:13
Also operated Teeside- Blackpool with Banderante, usually G-RVIP, which was leased to them by the mob I worked for at the time, together with a Shorts 330 and a Piper twin ( used for medevac flights). The only time I flew with them on above route, I was the only passenger and only one pax on return flight. It was no surprise when Mr Mackie of Ernst Winnie was appointed Receiver. ( He got the job on the back of his appointment as Laker receiver.) When he was appointed the Banderante was sub-leased to Canada, the Piper was doing a medevac from Malaga and the 330 was in Humberside minus an engine.

niknak
15th Feb 2004, 02:33
Gawd bless 'em!
A wonderful outfit until Eastern mk1 got hold of them, thereafter it was downhill until the rapid demise of the whole outfit. :(

surely not
16th Feb 2004, 02:33
They had some great crews who were a mix of those regrouping after the failure of Laker and newies fresh into the industry.

I take it that you were on of the 2 Nicks in Ops Niknak, and only one of you spelt your name Nik.

oscarh
16th Feb 2004, 04:20
Would you be Shirley, Surely?

surely not
16th Feb 2004, 05:54
Hmmm, you didn't check my profile then Oscarh:rolleyes:

I've never thought of Shirley as a male name!!
Check your PM

Chillwinston
20th Feb 2004, 20:47
Would be intrested to know what routes and a/c Metropolitan Airlines flew as they were apart of the BCal commuter program

Tarek Nor
20th Feb 2004, 22:39
Chillwinston

Did Meropolitan not fly for Dan Air rather than Bcal,
they had Twin Otters to start with, the SD3-30's.

rgds

T N

surely not
21st Feb 2004, 05:19
Sorry Tarek, Chillwinston is correct they were part of the BCal Commuter set up with the massively successful route LGW-BOH-Alderney (I've forgotten the 3 letter code! ACI?) using a BN2.

Tarek Nor
21st Feb 2004, 07:18
Here are links to pictures of the Metropolitan Twin Otters - in Dan Air colours:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/413348/M/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/307987/M/

This is the SD3-30 http://www.airliners.net/open.file/163471/M/

A bit of further searching also found this one in BCAL colours:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/128918/M/

HTH

Rgds

T N

Beacon Outbound
24th Feb 2004, 21:11
Anyone know what became of Bob Marshall and all?

Torquelink
24th Feb 2004, 22:50
Don't know what happened to Marshall but Marsden set up a tour operator: Caribbean Connections. Don't know what's happened subsequently though.

Chillwinston
24th Feb 2004, 23:28
Would be intrested in the routes that Cassair operated prior to the merger?

Were the employees aware of the financial probelms at the parent company prior to the collaspse?

mmeman
25th Feb 2004, 05:16
Hi Chillwinston

According to the Teesside Airport handbook, which I think is printed in 1979(!), it says that Casair Aviation were established in 1972, and operate as a Air taxi operation with a fleet of 8 aircraft, including a Cessna Citation.

In the dim distance past, I remember Casair operating scheduled services from Humberside-Teesside-Glasgow, I think using Cessna 404's and the Shorts 330 operated to Gatwick from Teesside. They also operated Teesside-Manchester, after winning a CAA hearing for the route. The hearing I seem to remeber was because Loganair wanted to fly the route. My memory seems to be telling me this was all after Genair had gone out of business, so I guess Casair re-emerged from Genair after it ceased. The other story I have also backs up this theory, because I remember having to move aircraft out of the Casair owned hangar 3 at Teesside on the day of my first trial flight, because they had just gone out of business! The date according to my logbook is 05/03/1988.

I don't believe, although I may be wrong, that Genair operated Teesside-Heathrow via HUY and NWI. I think from Teesside Genair operated to Gatwick, Blackpool Belfast and Esbjerg via HUY. (or was this Air Ecosse??!)

I have not got any written evidence to back up what I have said about the routes operated! The information is just from memory So if anything is wrong, please feel free to correct me, it would be very interesting to find out the correct dates and routes etc!

I do hope this all helps anyway.

surely not
27th Feb 2004, 05:48
G-OCAS was the reg of the Casair SD330.

Genair operated MME - LBA - LGW and also via HUY to LGW as they tried to find the magic formula.