PDA

View Full Version : Finished training and....

tom24
13th Feb 2004, 20:36
For you guys who have recently successfully completed training, say in the last year or two, thought it may be interesting to hear your stories on what you are doing for a living now, how many hours you have accrued since finishing training, how many flying interviews have you attended, what sort of training you did i.e. mod or int, where you trained, age, if you have a flying job what stood you out from the other 100's - is your dad chief pilot? And if you don't have a flying job how do you intend to make yourself marketable? Debt? How did you pay for your training? Are you living in a tent now? Did you eat, sleep, and constantly daydream of being a pilot as a nipper? Regret ever getting involved in the industry?

peterfoele
13th Feb 2004, 21:13
I finished training in march 2000, started applying straight away.
came along JAR with ME requirement:( worked hard to pay for this training...got ME/IR rating, came along 9/11:( :(
stil tried to keep current, acquired about 65 hours since end of training, in the mean time doing contract work to pay the bills and keep myself reasonable available.
Moved to Scotland last year, am doing an office job at the lmoment, but still keeping current and thinking about doing an instructor.

By change I was able to get rid ot the I owe U's, but it wasn't easy (like for most of us I think)

How about you?

Peter

Megaton
13th Feb 2004, 21:43
Did the IR last November and have accumulated approx 30 hrs since then. Although I've started applying for jobs, I won't be available until probably Oct 04. Heard nothing positive from the companies that I've written to so far. Still need to do the MCC.

36 yrs old
Modular
Exams with Bristol
CPL with EFT
IR with Atlantic

Still in full-time employment so paying off the doubts slow-time.

Gassbag
13th Feb 2004, 23:48
I finished my MCC in April last year at the age of 22. (I'm 23 at the end of Feb.) Sent out loads of CV's and the usual stuff, I now do a CV session once a month and whenever there is a snippet of news.
I did a modular course and finished with 260ish hours. In May I got a weekend job as a parachute pilot taking RAPS students-they only really do weekends anyway and the Turbo Let is there nearly all year- This has bumped my hours up to 322.
I am now working in the Jobcentre on a temp contract untill 12th March when I shall once again look for more temp work. And I've an extra mouth to feed soon.
I had an interview with Britannia in Sept but ballsed it. If an interview rate of one every six monthsturns out to be average then I'm in for some good news soon.
Apart from that Mr HSBC funded about 2/3's of my training and bhoy when I see my loan repayments I sure regret ever starting the whole thing. Untill the day I get a 'proper' job!!
Good Luck to you all.:ok:

tom24
14th Feb 2004, 00:02
Wow. These stories are really starting to bring home the harsh realities that this industry brings.

Peter, I’m only at hour building stage at the moment. It scares me to think that I’m giving up a comfortable life, well paid job with regular booze sessions for a temporary life of uncertainty!

Still, pilots will be pilots!

Keep 'em coming guys!

Ennie
14th Feb 2004, 00:04
I finished in March 2001 - CAP 509 course. I tried to fly atleast two hours per month but with loans etc was tough.
Same old story, loads of CV's etc, a couple of interviews (Flybe, & Air2000) My break was a phone call one day because I heard a "rumour" to the then KLM uk were recruiting, I did the day at STN then Sim check...then Sept 11th. Was finally called 18 months later and started on the F50. Now with KLM Mainline - was all worth it!!

Jonny
14th Feb 2004, 00:05
I hope that's not a freudian slip in your last sentence ham-fisted.... :(

Megaton
14th Feb 2004, 01:21
Not an intentional slip but it seems to make sense either way!

STATLER
14th Feb 2004, 01:33
Finished CPL Jan 2001, I.R Oct 2001.

Instructed part time initially then full time doing CPL instruction.

Got the airline break in March 2003 flying regional TP's.

I'd CV'd like mad following them up with regular phone calls.

I enjoyed instructing and made some great mates, which also included some contacts from the airlines; this led to several interviews and ultimately my current job.

Good luck to all it will happen.

Autofly
17th Feb 2004, 00:27
If you don´t mind me asking, how much did the whole lot cost and how long did it take you.

Gassbag ....... 2/3´s of your cash from our friends down at HSBC, that´s good work!!! How were you able to prove you´d be able to pay them back??? Its difficult to prove you´d be able to pay any of it back in the current climate. I´d be interested to hear how you did it.

Cheers
AF

Gassbag
17th Feb 2004, 16:32
The day I had a meeting I'd just got my first results through from the writtens which impressed. I also took my grandparents who acted as 'guaranteurs' (spelling??).
In total he agreed to donate £30k to the cause and another £5k when it all dragged on too long due to the shoddy weather.
"Bournemouth enjoys some of the best flying weather in the uk..." yeah right.
At the moment the monthly installments are £361.50 for eleven years!! So yes it's shocking.
I did write a business plan which he seemed to like.
I did meet one lass at LGU that had persuaded her manager to give her £60k which, I found totally amazing.
My parents and family dug into the family pot which gave me a total of £18k which I'll pay back when I can. Before my sister or cousins decide to go to university ideally.
Like I said it's gutting paying that back on Civil Service wages but untill that day comes.....
p.s. they've extended my temp contract untill 26th of march whoopee doo!

mad_jock
17th Feb 2004, 17:52
aged 32, 29 when I started

Started flying Sept 2000

Qualified CPL/IR FI April 2002
Started working as full time FI the day my license arrived.
After 900hours that year felt burnt out so decided to have a break, about June 2003 continued instructing part time at the weekend.
Sept 2003 got the phonecall and started with a regional TP operator. I didn't have to pay for type rating just a 2 year bond.
Total cost including living expenses about 35k.

You can do it, I wouldn't even say I am unusual. I know of another 8-10 instructors in Scotland who have have taken between 3-5 years from start of training till RHS. If you have the hunger and are willing to work your bollocks off with a good attitude. Word gets around and a few beers with the right people make all the difference.

O yes and having the right postcode daft as it may seem can be the only reason why you get the job.

MJ

Sky Goose
18th Feb 2004, 18:01
Age 30 , Started 26

Did a FAA CPL/IR in the states on an internship in 99'.

Working as a CAD operator/Engineer from 2000 to present and did the FAA -JAA conversion thing (ATPL's, GFT and Multi IR) part time. Not including lost earnings I recon Im up to about 20K on the conversion. (I recon a drug habit would have been cheaper)

Finished September 04', sent out CV's got one semi-positive reply (they said theyd invite me to their next selection) from Austrian Arrow. Have flown 2 hours! since qualification.

Yes it does sux,and gets you down, but I have no choice, Im hooked in a big way, and when it hopefully happens Im shure it will be worth while.

You dont want to be sat on your deck chair at 65 checking out the con trails thinking I didnt give it my best shot, that would sux even more. IMHO

cheers

dreamingA380
18th Feb 2004, 22:02
I've got 1100 hrs froz ATPL. Currently now only instructing weekends and working in the city during the week. Tough graft but debts are manageable.

I'm part time instructing now primarily to keep current as I think I have enough SEP time!. Currently I'm trying to put some cash together for a different tactic. I'm considering various options... turbine rating?, multi CPL instructor?, or even type a rating?. I'm increasingly feeling that I need to do something else to break this status quo.

Each month I re-send out my CV or each time I hear a whisper from a buddy.

There is no single correct path... else everyone would take it.
Good luck all.

CPTVOR
21st Feb 2004, 00:32
39, started when 36!! What a risk.

Sold my house and Harley to pay for it all and didnt get much change out of £38K.

Exams with Bristol, CPL and Multi I/R with Aero's Glos (highly recommend)

Finished last June aged 38 and thought "Heres to years of wishing I could get a job"

Sent out 400 CV's all over Europe, mostly to charter companies and got really lucky. My CV landed on a desk the day they were looking for a new F/O.

Im now flying a Lear 60! Its totally awesome and I love every minute.

Never give up, keep positive and believe it will happen, because, eventually, it will, and when it does, it will be the best day of your life, I promise!!

Arne
21st Feb 2004, 21:52
Hi,

From the intergrated side of the fence, the course cost me about 80k, took two years and was a blast, especially compared to what came after it.

I've been 'lucky' to work at an operations department with a major airline since I graduated. Classmates of mine have had a far worse time.

It looks like things are picking up, with more action in the past two months on the job front than I've seen in the past two years.

Would I have done it, had I known all this, probably not.
But once you've had your first day of training, you can't really go back.

Will I have the best day of my life soon? I sure hope so!

Take care,

Arne