PDA

View Full Version : Hyperphoria

Alabama
13th Feb 2004, 20:32
Can someone please briefly explain the standards for measuring hyperphoria, esophoria & exophoria? What exactly is a Maddox rod? A potential employer is interested, and I'd perfer not ask my current medical examiner, lest he gets new ideas on where to start prodding... Is this something I can get tested for at a general eye clinic?
Thanks!

Flyin'Dutch'
14th Feb 2004, 00:15
Depends which authority you want to know it for.

For the FAA there is no standard for a class 3 medical.

For classes 1 and 2:

Hyperphoria: 1 Diopter

Eso/Exophoria: 6 Diopters

Maddox rod is a oblong approximately 1 x 6 inch piece of (?glass or other transparancy) with a gradation of prisms.

It is used togethere with a light. The subject (that is you!) must align a light with the line seen through the glass. The amount of diopters needed to align the two is a measure of phoria.

HTH

FD

PS: Forgot to write that any decent optician/eyeclinic can measure this

Alabama
15th Feb 2004, 15:26
Thanks for the info Flyin'Dutch'!
It is actually for a JAR class 1, with measurements at 2 different distances (6m and 33cm). I'm assuming a diopter is the same as the little triangle symbol. Can the test results from a US doc be translated properly to meet this requirement?

Flyin'Dutch'
15th Feb 2004, 15:58
I'm assuming a diopter is the same as the little triangle symbol.

Yup.

Can the test results from a US doc be translated properly to meet this requirement?

No doubt they can be interpreted but for the medical you will have to perform it again anyway, I would have thought (you do for FAA medicals)

FD

Alabama
15th Feb 2004, 17:28
I understand. Just want to find out about any problems ahead of time before I sit for the real deal.

Thanks again!