PDA

View Full Version : New Airlines out of SA

13th Feb 2004, 18:16
ISLAND EXPRESS
Is a new South African airline planning to start operations from Johannesburg to Houston via the West African island of Sao Tome. Island Express would operate 2 Boeing 747SPs previously in service with South African Airways.

ZULU AIR
Also a proposed South African start up airline with plans to operate 2 Boeing 747 Freighters on cargo flights from South Africa to Europe by the end of the year.

Anybody heard of these guys? I suppose Sao Tomé is a fuelstop only, as nobody really goes there anymore. Well good luck to them!

freightboss
13th Feb 2004, 19:31
I thought that as part of the Airbus deal, Saa had to destroy the SP's and 200's?

As you say, good luck to them. Another set of African Stars???

Gaz5
15th Feb 2004, 18:43
hi all,

1st post! As i understand it, Island Express is going to get into the market of taking all the oil workers from Sao Tome to Houston. Good work if it works out. Rumor (??) is that both companies are owned by the same group of people, with the cash coming from a group with ANC backing. Which is maybe why SAA where allowed to sell the 74's?

George Tower
15th Feb 2004, 20:32
Hi guys

What's the issue regarding SAA "having to destroy" it's 747 SPs and 200s? I can understand why they are replacing them but surely if there's a willing buyer at a fair price what's the problem?

skyvan
15th Feb 2004, 22:02
I understood the agreement between SAA and Airbus to be that SAA was to buy or lease no more Boeing aircraft. There was no talk of restrictions on getting rid of the existing Boeings.

Of course, Airbus would rather see the SPs and the 200s being sent to the breakers yards, but SAA were able to sell them for a price, and any money is better for a flying plane than for scrap.

The consortium of businessmen who have bought the planes are based in Durban, but they apparently don't have any aviation experience. They are reported to be relying heavily on their consultant, who is a charter operator who has come a long way from flying whaling patrols in the early 80s.

There will be jobs available from them. I saw one of the "SAA pilots" who will be flying for them, over 60 already, and appears to be there to do the training. As those pilots take their proper retirement, more jobs will open up. Just for interest, the aforementioned charter operator has a good reputation for giving junior guys their first break into flying.

PIA747
17th Feb 2004, 14:45
Whats the name of this charter operator? Do you have any contact info?