PDA

View Full Version : convert Jaa to SA

adamo
13th Feb 2004, 14:56
Hi to all flightmates

I'm from Italy and I have both Jaa and Faa CPL ME IR.
Can someone please tell me what to do to obtain the SA license?
And if there is any chances to obtain a job there or in the rest of Africa for a 290h pilot ?

skyvan
13th Feb 2004, 16:35
Unfortunately, in the game of global tit for tat, you will have to write all the South African exams, and then do a full flight test in SA on An SA registered aircraft.

As for getting a job with 290hrs, there are enough CPL pilots waiting for their break. The chance of a job is slim. You would have to go through the hoops of getting a work permit, with very little chance of work after having done it.

IMHO, you would be better staying in Europe, becoming an instructor to build up your time, and then getting a job closer to home, than going to a foreign place, where you don't know anyone (I mean this in a professional sense) and always being "the foreigner"

Good luck, whichever way you go.

freightboss
13th Feb 2004, 16:40
Hi Adamo

Welcome in the wonderful world of flying.

Some pointers on the "conversion".

There are two ways of doing this:

1 Validation. Is valid for one year and you are allowed one renewal of the validation if you fly ZS registered a/c in SA airspace. You will need to sit the SA Airlaw exam and do a flight test with a SACAA Designated Examiner on the type of a/c you intend flying.

If you fly ZS aircraft outside the boundaries of SA, you might get lucky and get more than one renewal of your validation.

Just as in Europe or the US, there is no such thing as converting a license. If you want a South African License, you will have to sit for all the exams and do the flight tests.

For any further information, try the SACAA website at www.caa.co.za

Hope it helps.

With regards to job hunting - good luck.

bluesafrica
15th Feb 2004, 18:22
Is the South African CAA closer to FAA or JAA?
Blues

15th Feb 2004, 23:18
There is another way of doing it: Just get to whoever is in charge of Bribery and Corruption (now that Trevor has left) and I'm sure that they'll do you a good price provided you can bring at least five mates along!!! :yuk:

bluesafrica
15th Feb 2004, 23:55
That's more like it!!
Blues
:ok:

16th Feb 2004, 17:40
This comes from African Pilot:

SA Civil Aviation Authority problems worsen
The CAA has suspended yet another senior official. The sudden move has placed the SA CAA into further turmoil as the head of Legal and Financial Services, Mr. K.C. Marobela was informed that until further notice he had been suspended from his post. Mr Moses Siyate, who was appointed as head of Communications in December said that he was unable to comment on the suspension due to his lack of knowledge about the CAA, since he had not been there long enough. Mr. Sebosese Machobane, acting CEO of the CAA, confirmed that this latest suspension was a separate issue – not connected with the previous investigations that led to the termination of the services of Messrs Abrahams and Davids. We understand that the CAA’s financial manager has also been suspended. What is it with the CAA? Can they not find suitably qualified people who take their employment seriously, to fill these important posts?

Dr. Dullah Omar, Minister of Transport, commented at the ATNS’ recent 10th anniversary celebrations: “The Ministry of Transport did not approve of the goings on at the CAA and that the ministry was addressing the problems.” In a strongly worded statement he said that the CAA should realize that it was not a law unto itself, but was accountable to his ministry and its sole shareholder, the government of South Africa. Dr. Omar also stressed that the CAA was there to implement government policy and that the problems of the authority would soon be a thing of the past.

African Pilot comments: With respect Dr. Omar, it would appear that things are getting out of hand at the CAA!

The CAA is fast becoming a body, which deserves little respect amongst the very industry that pays dearly for its existence. The CAA is not actively doing anything to promote civil aviation in this country, especially with regard to the development of our youth in terms of training and education. Furthermore, South Africa is not being promoted as the preferred destination for aviation training by the very authority that has this task entrusted to them. Whilst certainly many competent persons within the CAA remain a positive strength, the level of in-fighting will soon also see the imminent departure of experienced personnel. Then what? Anarchy – free for all?

African Pilot has tried on numerous occasions to meet with the acting CEO, yet our telephone calls remain unanswered! Why?