PDA

View Full Version : Airline superhuman medicals including BA

Glom
11th Feb 2004, 02:14
Apparently, BA have a higher medical standard than JAA class 1. First off, why? What do BA do that is so special that they require pilots of extra fitness?

Second, what particular fields are they more picky about?

Glom
12th Feb 2004, 04:31
In particular, are they more stringent about colour vision standards, such as they won't accept the Beynes?

donaldstan
12th Feb 2004, 14:36
i've heard a lot that airlines require very high medical fitness of pilots. what do they actually expect? how fit is fit? any guidelines?

Glom
12th Feb 2004, 17:08
If it's just fitness, I'm not concerned. But I'm concerned that they might decide arbitrarily that for no good reason whatsoever, other than to one up the JAA, the colour standards set by the JAA are insufficient for someone to do their job.

Jinkster
13th Feb 2004, 07:23
Do airline in general require someone to do fitness test such as the bleep test one did do at school or any other type of fitness test.

Jepp
13th Feb 2004, 08:02
Okay,Okay..... maybe a little exagerated, but why do some airlines have medical requirements that supersede JAR class 1 requirements, Just what is what is the purpose ????

donaldstan
13th Feb 2004, 11:24
i hav no idea. that's what i wanna knw. what kinda tests do airlines expect us to go thru?

Diesel
13th Feb 2004, 15:31
Guys

In my experience the medical is the same within BA as at a private AME. It's a straightforward medical with no fitness test of any kind. I am not aware of BA seeking higher standards in this area in any way.

Spearing Britney
13th Feb 2004, 20:01
Calm down, calm down!

Why do BA, and others, demand higher standards? Because they can, and why shouldn't they! It's not about one upping the JAA and it isn't for you to be concerned about. Its all about cutting their administative burden, if an applicant has a complex case then they go on to the next one.

After all with 6000 applicants for 100 jobs why shouldn't they exclude candidates with, for example, a high Body Mass Index (BMI) - a flawed but still used indicator of likely later health problems due to being overweight. I haven't heard of the colour vision one and don't recall a separate BA opthalmic check, just a basic opticians one with the Ishihara plates. There isn't anything about the BA job that needs higher standards its just that with 300 applicants that are good enough for the job they might as well be choosy!

Getting irate about selection procedures, however random or innappropraite they may seem to you (and you may very well be right) is never going to help you get through them. Being aggrieved afterwards will just put your blood pressure up!

Hope that doesn't seem too harsh but I have seen guys at interview justify why they were turned down by X Airlines and it never helps...

Jetstream Rider
13th Feb 2004, 20:17
The JAA are looking to make sure you will not be incapacitated while flying and are fit to do the job. The airlines are looking for someone who can fly for 30 years so that they do not waste thier money training someone who will then be removed from flying due to medical reasons.

If you are obese, the chances are that you will have problems somewhere down the line in your career that will affect the airline, but the JAA may be happy that you are not about to conk out, hence the differing standards.

Bealzebub
13th Feb 2004, 20:48
I suppose it is for the same reason that people often find it more attractive to buy a car with a three year warranty rather than a car with a one year warranty. The higher standard is perceived as likely to cause less trouble in the short to medium term.

An airline wants everything it buys ( including its labour) to be as reliable as possible. In the case of medicals, if that company is prepared to invest in its own investigations then it has the right to expect a good return from that investment. Many companies do not, and simply rely on the JAA medical standard. That may be perfectly acceptable of course and presumably saves some cost and they accept the standard.

As a footnote it is worth mentioning that the medical standards set for initial issue of a Class 1 certificate should reasonably reflect the fact that the certified individual has been assesed as fit to the level that an Airline ( or employer) could on a balance of averages expect a reasonable length of service from the holder.
Of course there can be no guarantees, but any condition that exists at the point of initial assesment that either fails the standard set or is likely to deteriorate, might reasonably result in the invidual failing to meet future standards for medical renewal at a much earlier age than the median. As dissapointing as this is, it is a case of striking a balance between what is fair to the candidate but also and perhaps more importantly what is fair to the future potential employer. Medical authorities always asess each individual case and naturally there will be mistakes and borderline disputes on occaisions, however the standards set reflect those of a reasonably healthy individual. They also reflect the fact that the candidates attainment numbers will naturally deteriorate with advancing age.

Glom
15th Feb 2004, 22:55
Okay that seems fair enough. That being the case, there shouldn't be any reason why they wouldn't accept Beynes, since once you've past, colour vision will never ball you out and result in wasted airline money. That was all I was concerned about.

Northern Lights
19th Feb 2004, 22:28
Don't confuse the BA medical exam on your initial application for a job, with the routine licence medical you will undergo every six months once selected.

The routine aircrew licence medical is to JAA standard (and no more) as Diesel has said. You can even pick which AME you go and see. The doctor will examine you, on behalf of the JAA, to assess whether you will still be fit to fly in six months time.

The initial exam is to a much higher standard, in just about every respect.

Why? Because the AME is now examining you, on behalf of BA, to assess, as best he can, if you will still be fit to fly in 35 years time, and whether you may have a lot of time off sick during your career.

Staff sickness is a hot topic in BA at the moment, so don't expect the initial standard to be lowered when BA start recruiting again.

BA has the jobs, and can set the initial medical standard as high as it likes. If you can't pass it, there are hundreds out there who can and will.

Due to a medical condition, I found out that I'm not one of them, but that's life! I'll try again in a couple of years.

No use moaning about it, and be careful what you say on interview, because BA are very sensitive to "attitude" during selection.

Good luck when they start recruiting again.

Jinkster
19th Feb 2004, 22:35
Northern Lights,

Thanks for clearing this up and I am sure the "mods" will be grateful too as this has been a long standing post on pprune.

Best of luck with BA and hopefully I will be there for selection when they start recruiting again ;)

Jinkster

Human Factor
19th Feb 2004, 23:54
For info, colour vision is normally done at BA with the Ishihara plates. I was a bit marginal and passed using the lanterns. It probably pays to be less healthy these days though, less of a drain on the pension fund in the long run. :E