PDA

View Full Version : BA increase MAN-Scandinavia

MEFLYBE
13th Feb 2004, 04:31
BA are increasing flights on their Manchester to Copenahagen and Oslo routes.

The summer season will see a 3rd weekdaily CPH rotation and an extra MON and FRI flights on the OSL route.

All flights op with ER4 a/c.

Regards

Mike

TURIN
13th Feb 2004, 05:17
No they're not!

BA only operate LHR/LGW and a daily JFK from MAN.

BA CitiExpress a completely different and separate airline operate the European routes. :mad: :mad:

This Charming Man
13th Feb 2004, 06:24
Your quite right Turin ;)

The reason for these extra routes is a reaction to the expansion
by the SAS group into MAN i.e 2 extra CPH , Braathens 4xweek.

MEFLYBE
13th Feb 2004, 06:37
well to a pleb like me and to 99% of the travelling public, the flights out of MAN are BA branded. Anyway, the subject of the post was the increase in flights, nothing else.

regards

mike

Red Snake
13th Feb 2004, 15:25
BA CitiExpress is BA. A wholly owned subsidiary.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
13th Feb 2004, 16:02
Braathens is not happening anyway

Golf India Bravo

rutankrd
13th Feb 2004, 16:17
BAcx is a wholly owned subsidiary company of BA but are they a seperate revenue and taxable business ?
If so do they PAY BA for selling their flights and using their computer reservation system ?
Also just a point someone above said the JFK service was mainline but I believe that is also a BAcx route with a dedicated B767 leased in from the parent the notorious G-BNWH ! so when that goes tech and a stand in aircraft is supplied do BA charge extra for this ?
All this seems a little technical and financial but it would certainly make sence in a business way.
Seperate business streams need seperate books and even internal invoicing systems between group companies.
If i am right this would make the operating costs of the JFK service seem higher than the really are (double booking BA costs plus BAcx costs)
Even if the crew cost base at BAcx is lower !
If this is the case then BAs auditors who know only raw numbers may well come to the mis-leading conclusion that MAN long haul is expensive and to be avoided.

HZ123
14th Feb 2004, 15:30
To some extent BA costed for Sales / Reservationsb before with CityFlyer / BRAL /BMED / GB Airways amd a number of others outside the UK.

Your point regarding the 767 may well be correct but many of the other charges or costings were in place long before BACX was created. One must assume that the costs were well covered by profit as they still must be for the llikes of BMED and GB. To harp back, MAERSK at BHX seemed happy enough until they sold out but I do not recall critism of BA.

Perhaps an accountant can furnish us with why accounting is done in this mannet.

MD11FAN
14th Feb 2004, 23:04
Flybe,

Good point. It is a shame that so many posts on this forum hijack the original topic.
I'm sure those people interested in the business set-up between BA and BACX can find info on many other posts on this site.

Matt

TURIN
15th Feb 2004, 19:10
I apologise for hijacking the thread.

However, after the way that the engineers (and to be fare other depts also) were treated when BACX were set up I have the right to be angry when BA announce a new service.

Engineering staff were not allowed to transfer to BACX "because it's a different company", but when some staff took the severance and left BA they were told they could not apply for jobs at BACX "because it's the same company".

Hundreds of engineers were forced to leave BA, (a hangar at MAN closed and remains empty) while another company took over the routes and maintenance, but as far as the travelling public is concerned "it's BA".

Yes I am angry.

Again I apologise for going off topic but maybe you can see my point of view.

MEFLYBE
17th Feb 2004, 03:56
In adittion, there are many other changes to BA branded flying at MAN this summer.

Cork is down to once daily with 146 a/c.

Copenhagen is up to 3 weekdaily ER4 a/c.

Oslo is up to 3 daily Mondays and Fridays ER4 a/c.

Dusseldorf is 4 daily, 1 146 and ER4 flights.

Stuttgart is up to 2 weekdaily ER4 a/c.

Hanover is up to 3 daily Wednesdays and Thursdays ER4 a/c.

Nice is once daily all AR1 a/c.

Venice is once daily AR1 a/c.

Pisa Saturday operation is with AR1 a/c.

Zurich afternoon daily dep is up to a 146 a/c.

Vienna daily dep is up to a 146 a/c.

Regards

Mike

Mark Lewis
18th Feb 2004, 05:29
Where are all these new planes coming from, or are they just streamlining the operation even further?

Ringwayman
18th Feb 2004, 06:23
Paris, although increasing to 5 times daily on weekdays, will see RJ100s on only one service (the last one if I remember correctly) with ERJ145s on the other services.

Not too surprised with with Cork situation - competing with bmibaby at the same time of day using DHC8s would only see bmibaby winning, so I presume that the aircraft that has been operating MAN-ORK-MAN-SNN-MAN-EDI-MAN-ORK-MAN would be used on the enhanced IOM service.

Dash-7 lover
19th Feb 2004, 02:27
TURIN

Its not BA? For **** sake grow up..... BACX is BA!!! We wear the uniform and have our microchips implanted....

MEFLYBE

Your'e not a pleb! some of us that work for BACX are actually pleased to do so......We all have various chips on our shoulders about the past but some of us can get over that and move on....those that can't get over it know exactly what to do!!

Just to get back to the topic......The MAN-IOM services will be 5 times a day on a Dash-8-300 which n/stops on the Island.
All but 3 of the ATPS will be parked up from the end of March, with just 3 flying for Logibear....

chiglet
19th Feb 2004, 05:28
Dash7
As a [very] humble ATC'r, why replace a 60+ seat [ATP] with a 50 seat [DHC8]? on a "succesfull"{sp} route?
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Shed-on-a-Pole
21st Feb 2004, 10:09
Chiglet -

The original MAN-IOM service operated on a basic 3x daily timetable using 68-seater ATP's. The new operation will be a basic 5x daily service using 50-seater DHC8's. Hence the new format offers 250 return seats per day, up from 204, representing a capacity increase. Comfort and journey-time are not compromised, whilst a greater choice of frequencies can be offered to customers. This has to count as an upgrade of the service.

Regards. SHED.