PDA

View Full Version : Sea King down

Heliport
13th Feb 2004, 03:47
Western Morning News 18:00 - 12 February 2004

Hundreds of people were left without electricity after a Royal Navy helicopter clipped power lines during a training flight. People living in the Brendon area on Exmoor were affected in the incident on Monday involving a Sea King helicopter from RNAS Yeovilton.

The helicopter was forced to make an emergency landing after crashing into power lines in the Cheriton Valley.

Homes around the remote area instantly lost power when the Sea King, which was on a low level flight training exercise, hit the power lines stretching across the valley.

Nearby resident at Combe Park, Lynne Guerney, said: "The pilot must have been incredibly lucky to manage to get out of the valley."

A spokesman for RNAS Yeovilton said: "We do not know exactly what happened and an investigation will be taking place."

None of the crew was hurt but homes in the Brendon area of Exmoor were affected and a second Sea King was sent to the scene to assess the damage to the aircraft.

A Royal Navy spokesman said a full investigation would be held into the incident and attempts were being made yesterday to recover the 10-ton Sea King.

Thud_and_Blunder
13th Feb 2004, 22:21
There but for the grace... Glad to hear everyone was OK, and pleased to see the RAF (on the local news) helping with the recovery - trust all went well?

Sliding member
14th Feb 2004, 03:39
I was around Exmoor on Wednesday when I saw a Chinook with a Sea king Slung underneath transiting North, could this have been the damaged Seak King? Looked quite impressive, the Sea King moving around quite a lot and then at 90deg to the airflow for the rest of my sighting. Must be quite a job eh??

Arkroyal
15th Feb 2004, 00:57
Thought all Junglies knew that valley like the back of their hands!

Oh dear, they were wearing gloves! Glad they all escaped the usual penalty for a wire strike:ok: