PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Maths

AerBabe
12th Feb 2004, 21:00
I learned an interesting fact while powdering my nose earlier:
For every 25 women in a building there must be one toilet, plus one. Now, since we have about 200 women we have 9 toilets. Given that on average we take about 3 minutes over it (or am I being optimistic?) this means that every woman in the building is able to go once every hour. Roughly.

Now, I usually don't go that often. Unless I've had too much tea or beer it would be every 3 h ish. So someone in my office is going a LOT. I just can't work out who. :hmm:

Incipient Sinner
12th Feb 2004, 21:04
AerBabe,

I'm no expert on womens' loos and I don't doubt the facts but where does the plus one come into it?

Just in case the Boss comes in after 4% of all girls go to the loo at once??

Ozzy
12th Feb 2004, 21:14
For every 25 women in a building there must be one toilet, plus one. If that's the case then how come in many places there's always a massive queue for the ladies bog while the blokes toilet is walk up service (as it were):confused:

Ozzy

Onan the Clumsy
12th Feb 2004, 22:01
Toilet maths?

1 + 1 = 1

1 + 2 = a big pile of 2

2 + 0 = FALSE (you can't have 2 without 1)

TheStormyPetrel
12th Feb 2004, 23:12
The calculation does not seem to take into account females who visit the building. Unless that's what the "+ 1" covers.

The long queues just show that the KISS principle does not work when applied to this scenario.

There are heaps of factors that affect female toilets more than male, like most accompanied children go with females to the female loo. Also, at some times of the month, women may take longer at the loo. It takes time to change torn pantyhose. Plus the "clean up after you" that is more likely by women takes time .... Which brings to mind:

"If you sprinkle when you tinkle, be a sweetie, wipe the seatie" is inside a toilet I know of - it takes time if it's done!

timmcat
12th Feb 2004, 23:48
Given that on average we take about 3 minutes over it (or am I being optimistic?)

That long?

(oops, wrong thread, thought we were still in the stationary cupboard).

Onan the Clumsy
12th Feb 2004, 23:48
This would be the perfect opportunity for Chiglet to respond...

Thanks timmcat :ok: I meant for Chiglet to respond to Stormey. Comedy is all about timing.

Anthony Carn
13th Feb 2004, 00:25
AerBabe, I'm intrigued........

..........this means that every woman in the building is able to go once every hour. Roughly.
How do ladies go to the toilet roughly ?

Is that just with loud feet, slamming the door shut, flinging the seat down, squeezing with real venom causing noisy ejection ?

Or what ?

under_exposed
13th Feb 2004, 00:33
You are assuming a regular flow of visitors. Sit outside for a day an plot visits against time to establish when the peaks are. If anyone asks say its a time and motion study

pilotwolf
13th Feb 2004, 01:10
I could throw spanner into the calculations regarding the frequency and time of the 'event'...

What about factoring in the amount of toilet paper used on each visit. This would actually reduce the availability due to the increased need for servicing....

BUT, for the sake of home harmony I ll decline to offer any figures. :E

Chaffers
13th Feb 2004, 02:15
Maybe, AC, if they go roughly, rather than genteely, they need to use the facilities more often. Hence the one hour rule.

Possibly they need the help of a companion when going 'roughly' in order to muffle and mask the indiscreet noises, including extreme flatulence and heavy grunting / groaning which all blokes know accompanies the squeezing out of a really stubborn one. Could be we have just solved the mystery of why the lasses go two by two to the loo.

Indeed, seeing as we are on topic, one had one of the three most memorable dumps of one's life at 35 minutes past midnight on Jan 1st this year. It took a good 20 minutes to produce. :ugh:

Do Ppruners think that this is some form of good omen for the year?

Onan the Clumsy
13th Feb 2004, 02:48
Reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon I saw once...

Panel #1

Woman walks past Alice's cube and says "Alice, I've got a VHS of Gone With the Wind. Do you want to come to the ladies room and watch it on the big screen TV with the rest of us?".

Panel #2

Alice replies "Yes, but only if I can have the grey leather sofa.".

Panel #3

Wally walks past Dilbert's cube and says "Guess what! There's soap in the men's room.".

Anthony Carn
13th Feb 2004, 03:04
AerBabe's very quiet. :suspect:

*plop*

Ah ! There you are, AerBabe ! :}

chiglet
13th Feb 2004, 08:12
Onan,
chiglet has just come home from work.
In the Tower Block, we have [approx] 3 ladies loos, to go with a total of about 40 ladies [+/- 3]. So we are looking at 13 [unlucky for some] ladies per loo. But , as most work shifts, and depending which Watch is on, plus floats, we perhaps have 10 ladies for the three loos, so looking at a 7 hour shift, ;420mins] does one multiply the ladies by the minutes, then divide by the number of loos? or , multiply the ladies by loos, and divide into the minutes?:confused:
Oh yeah, sometimes on Nights, there are NO ladies, but still 3 loos, are the lack of use then taken as a bonus? Or just lost?
I'll ask the cleaner tomorrow.
watp,iktch

AerBabe
13th Feb 2004, 21:47
I don't know why there has to be an extra one. A bit like roasting meat maybe? You know; x time per pound, plus half an hour? Maybe it's in case of emergencies?

Chiglet - did you get an answer?

Kaptin M
13th Feb 2004, 22:19
Maybe that's the one for the men!!

Take a peek, next time you're in the vicinity (which sounds like it's fairly often), AerBabe, and check the seat position - up or down.

Reminds me of a joke that was doing the rounds a while ago:
A bloke from the country goes into a public cubicle in the big smoke, closes the door, lowers his strides and sits down.
About 20 seconds later he hears the adjoining cubicle door close, as another patron enters.
Shortly after he hears a voice from next door say, "G'day mate, how're going?"
A bit strange, he thinks to himself, but he decides to reply anyway...."Pretty good thanks."
"So what are you doing now?" asks the neighbouring cubicle's occupier.
These city folk are certainly different thinks the country lad, but not wanting to stand out in the big smoke, he figures it's better to play along, and so he replies "Just a little poo."

Silence, then the country boy hears his neighbour say, "Hang on a minute mate, I've got some [email protected] in the dunny next door trying to join our phone conversation!"

Kolibear
13th Feb 2004, 22:50
Given that on average we take about 3 minutes

You might want to check that with a few men
:(

Tinstaafl
13th Feb 2004, 22:59
+1 dunny because the ratio of women:toilets could result in a fraction. If you round down then you'd have slightly fewer dunnies than required. Add one and you've catered to the requirements using the nearest whole number?

Kaptin M
13th Feb 2004, 23:03
The nearest hole number, Tinny?? :}

Chaffers
14th Feb 2004, 00:24
Depends on how the girl sits but I'm pretty sure the nearest hole number would be two in the vast majority of cases.

Kaptin M
14th Feb 2004, 06:33
...I'm pretty sure the nearest hole number would be two in the vast majority of cases.Do you mean there's the possibility of a ring-in??
A she who's actually a he!! :ooh:

Do Metro men stand or sit to take a p155?

chiglet
14th Feb 2004, 07:54
AerBabe.
Unfortunately no, she didn't understand the question:rolleyes:
But one theory is that a "Bloke" has two choices.
One, walks to stone, unzips[buttons] does it, shakes, washes hands, 90 seconds......
Two, goes to pan, drops pants etc, does the "business", washes hands, up to 5 mins.....
Women have a [very] similar choice...so to speak.
One, approach pan, lift skirt, drop tights, knickers...does pee....blots several times, pulls up knicks and tights washes hands..3-5 mins
Two as above but no 2, same time....is there a relation to this?
watp,iktch

Anthony Carn
14th Feb 2004, 15:03
Never mind (w)hole numbers.......worrabout mensuration and vulgar fractions ? :suspect:

BlueWolf
14th Feb 2004, 15:38
pilotwolf, re. toilet paper, has anyone else noticed the following phenomenon....

Four guys share a house/flat, and between them they go through one roll of dunny paper a week.

One guy moves out, a girl moves in, and suddenly, useage is up to four rolls per week.

Another guy moves out, a second girl moves in, and now the flat is consuming sixteen rolls of toilet paper every seven days.

A third guy vacates, a third girl moves in, and despite the fact that there are still only four people living in the house, weekly toilet paper turnover is now up to 256 rolls.

By the time there are four girls in residence, there is a continous loop of freight trucks running between the house and the toilet paper factory, and the local authority has to upgrade the sewerage scheme to keep up with load demand.

Other than the three obvious uses, what do women do with the stuff? Eat it??
:confused: :E

Kaptin M
14th Feb 2004, 17:22
Hole numbers, mensuration, vulgar fractions...toilet maths indeed, and with all the permutations and combinations being proferred to explain the reason for the superfluos dunny, it's become a real maths debate.

Chaffers
14th Feb 2004, 18:44
Maybe maths debating is what the extra cubicle is for...

Theres always one, and only one, cubicle in the blokes bogs with good quality graffiti. Maybe the lasses have a long thread in one of the bogs discussing number systems....

Anthony Carn
14th Feb 2004, 19:21
All this maths !

Just when we thought it was only about number ones, number twos and bodily functions.............:ooh: