PDA

View Full Version : Java : virtual machine

sprocket
12th Feb 2004, 03:17
Question please: Can someone tell me if I need my virtual machine for java to make loop animations work; eg weather radar loops etc.

Reason: I cannot seem to enable access to this program when I select the box in "Set program and access defaults"

XP home edition.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Feb 2004, 10:00
sprocket,

It all depends on what the animations were programed in. It could be Java, JS, Flash, etc.

Do you have a website you could link for us to look at?

Take Care,

Richard

sprocket
12th Feb 2004, 14:23
Naples: this is one that will not give me a loop. Weather Radar (http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR193.loop.shtml#image)

Most of the box appears but no image.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Feb 2004, 20:48
sprocket,

The radar images are all .gif's and the page was programmed with JS.

I tried it on two different computers. One it loaded and on the other it did not load the images. I installed MS JavaVM on it, but I need to reboot it to see if it worked or not. (Which is the computer I am typing on right now.)

Take Care,

Richard

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Feb 2004, 21:59
sprocket,

After I installed MS JavaVM and rebooted, the page is still doing the same thing it did before the install. I see the first image, but when it tries to loop, I get the little x.

I did stop the loop and manually step frame by frame and it showed each .gif properly.

Take Care,

Richard

sprocket
13th Feb 2004, 03:37
Thanks for your time Naples: it's got me beat as my 98se machine has no problems.
My XP machine will not start up now (continuous beeeep) until I switch off at the wall. I'm taking the mongrel to the vet today. :suspect:

sprocket
14th Feb 2004, 15:28
Finally killed my flash/animation/java problem.

A complete uninstall of Zone Alarm with [b]manual[/b[ removal of leftover files has fixed it. Took me about an hour but I’d happily do it again if I had to. A subsequent reload of ZA has shown no more repeat problems.
I had a trial version of ZA pro last month but elected to revert to the free version a couple of weeks ago when the trail expired. A settings file must have remained in my system, which I did not have access to via the free version, and needed to be deleted.

Thanks to all who have given advice in this and my previous threads for this problem.

The Procedure (http://nh1.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNonNT.html)

The problem in my previous post was an unrelated memory problem.