PDA

View Full Version : Rheumatism and PPL Medicals

BEXIL160
11th Feb 2004, 23:57
Dear All,

I have a friend (no, really!) who is keen to take up flying training with an aim to getting his JAR PPL (A).

Here's the rub... he suffers from Rheumatism. Not that you would notice however as he always seems a darn sight fitter than me. :rolleyes: Something he puts down to taking plenty of exercise, swimming, cycling and walking for instance. He uses Ibuprofen when neccessary for pain relief.

His GP is keen to prescribe NSAIDs, but Ken (oops!) doesn't really need them, and isn't keen on them "cos they are bad for my stomach" . So Ibruprofen it is.

The questions. Would his (well controlled) condition preclude him from getting a JAR Class 2 medical? Or would the NPPL be the route to take as the medical standards seem to be akin to that required for a HGV licence?

Any advice gratefully recieved

Best rgds
BEX

QDMQDMQDM
12th Feb 2004, 06:06
Not enough info, I'm afraid. 'Rheumatism' isn't a diagnosis and can cover a multitude of sins from the odd non-specific ache and pain to a destructive polyarthritis, such as Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Doesn't sound overly serious if all he takes is a bit of ibuprofen (which is an NSAID, btw).

QDM

BEXIL160
12th Feb 2004, 16:16
Thanks for the reply.

Looks like a trip to the AME would be a very good investment BEFORE he thinks any further.

Best rgds
BEX

Belgique
6th Mar 2004, 03:11
My Lady (age 46) has been very suddenly struck down by rheumatoid arthritis. Are there any medical breakthroughs in prospect? I've heard that glucosamine sulfate is good for osteo-arthritis but what about the rheumatoid variety?

Are there any recommended naturopathic remedies? Right now she's facing a methotrexate course - but that attacks the immune system and can do irreversible liver damage. It also wastes you for two days a week. There appears to be as many suggestions as there are quacks.

QDMQDMQDM
11th Mar 2004, 05:05
Methotrexate is a very effective treatment for rheumatoid and despite the horrible list of side-effects is well-tolerated in general.

Rheumatoid can be a nasty disease if untreated, but the treatments can be very helpful. I wouldn't take risks playing around with naturopathic or other remedies at the expense of conventional 'Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs' or 'DMARDS'. You're playing a very high stakes game if you do.

QDM

Down3Greens
11th Mar 2004, 05:38
My younger brother is a class 1 medical ATPL holder who suffers from Ankylosing Spondilitis which is rheumatic arthritis that mainly affects the spine. When he got the initial at the CAA the AME said that the condition was not a disqualifying factor, though if the condition progressed and he eventually started to lose mobility then he could his licence.

He takes a new anti inflamatory NSAID called Celecoxib brand name celebrex by pfizer. It does not affect the stoumach like older drugs like Voltarol and that combined with a strict diet free from caffeine, refined sugars and low starch content and exercise means he hardly ever gets any problems.