PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Town Names

Capt.KAOS
11th Feb 2004, 22:53
So you're driving up from Vienna and suddenly -- there it is! -- you pull off and park, scramble out of your rental car, giggling and laughing, stand beside the notorious sign (if it hasn't been stolen again!), whip out the camera, and click. Like thousands of other tourists, you now have your own personal souvenir of yourself standing next to a plain sign that proclaims you're in Fcuking (http://www.snopes.com/photos/austria.asp), Austria (48' 03" N 13' 51" E). It's a small village, but you'll probably be inspired to get a room for the night just to be able to regale your friends with how good the sex was in Fcuking.

And there are places like W4nk Mountain in Bavaria; Titz, Germany; Clit, Romania; and Cvnter, Switzerland.

And what about Pussy in France? Like Fcuking, Pussy is an old settlement and boasted of almost 500 people back around 1561. The little village was incorporated into the commune of La Léchère (which you might be tempted to mispronounce La Lechery, n'est pas?) in 1972. Pussy is located near the Isère River and the mountain of Mont Bellachat. Please note, too, that "chat" is a common French slang term for -- naturally -- pussy.

And wouldn't your friends sport a sly grin when they receive your note postmarked, say, from Beaver, Blue Ball, or Intercourse, Pennsylvania? How about from Peckerwood Lake, Bald Knob, or Toadsuck, Arkansas? There's Big Bone Lick in Kentucky and Indiana hosts both French Lick and Gnaw Bone. Maybe you'd like to spend some time exploring Climax in Colorado and the other one in Michigan. Knob Lick, in Missouri, sounds like a fun place to check into a local bed-and-breakfast.

Last but not least there's Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit a.k.a. Bangkok.

some town names are slightly adjusted to get passed Danny's chastity belt

Jerricho
11th Feb 2004, 22:56
There was "Mianus" as made famous by Johnny Knoxville and his Jackass mates.

I admit, I snigger to myself every time I hear the name Regina.

airship
11th Feb 2004, 23:01
Do any official studies exist into whether or not these communities 'live up to" or at least deserved their names at some stage in their pasts? :8

The Invisible Man
11th Feb 2004, 23:29
Used to drive through a place In Germany called

Wankum

Dont know if they lived up to their community name ....:E

Just thought... are the people that live there called W*nkers ???

zarniwoop
12th Feb 2004, 00:49
Oregon, USA - There is a town called Boring just to the east of Portland, I am well informed by a native Oregonion that the town does live up to its name. A little further east is Shortys Corner.

Moving south a bit is the town of Burpee. Further south are the towns of Bend and Drain. I went through Drain once, I've even got a photo of myself standing by the town sign, as the road goes down hill behind me. Yes, you've got it, it's a photo of me going down the drain.

In northern California are the towns of Eureka and Yreka. I drove through Eureka a couple of times, nothing to shout about if you ask me.

Not far from there is a town called Little Shasta. Sounds like an insult to me "Why you little........." I think I might try it some time.

Regards,

Z

Cornish Jack
12th Feb 2004, 01:25
On the railway line between Trondheim and Vaernes there is a station for the village/town of Hell. Unsurprisingly, we all bought 'one way' tickets .... still have it somewhere:oh:

tony draper
12th Feb 2004, 02:27
What about this place then.

http://officialcitysites.org/city.php3?&st=OR&cityname=******s%20Corner

:rolleyes:

Bloody hell the censor wont let me post the URL.
Its the website of the town of "W*nk*rs Corner. Wyoming"
:E
PS, the word rhymes with tankers

Nani
12th Feb 2004, 02:33
Oh we're quite famous with our names in Pennsylvania,especially in Lancaster county where Amish population is high.

Intercourse,PA
Blue Ball,PA
Virginville,PA
Bird in Hand,PA

How about Rough and Ready,Pa. and Fearnut,PA.

Hell,MI- Tightwad.MO- Passing Gas,KS.

Who comes up with these names?:)

MMEMatty
12th Feb 2004, 02:55
What about Dildo, Newfoundland?

Mate of mines dad had a house there, as it happens....

Matty

Capt.KAOS
12th Feb 2004, 02:56
Jerricho, I bet your MIL is from Lord Berkeley's Knob (Sutherland, Scotland) or Shitlingthorpe (Yorkshire)?

reynoldsno1
12th Feb 2004, 02:58
Rattanakosin
Well I never thought I would see this "suburb" of Bangkok mentioned on Pprune ... mrs r1 has a house there.....

The small town of Puke Puke in NZ spends a considerable sum each year replacing its road signs ...

Douglas Adams produced a book based on town names, and gave them meanings for common English usage .... The Meaning of Liff....

surely not
12th Feb 2004, 03:02
There's a place called Pis Hill near Oxford

Boss Raptor
12th Feb 2004, 03:08
Condom...SW France

MrWoollie
12th Feb 2004, 03:33
IRON KNOB - South Australia?

Kaptin M
12th Feb 2004, 03:50
Driving from Zurich to Montreux in Switzerland, you'll have to pull off to the left to go to Wankdorf.

And speaking of New Ziland, what did the Maoris have in mind when they named one of the large mountains there Whakapapa ("WH" is pronounced as "F"). There's also a place called Whakatane (Far-ka-ta-ni)...no relation to PM Blair!!

Mostly Harmless
12th Feb 2004, 04:26
Grindrod, British Columbia

Spuzum, British Columbia

Acme, Alberta. It’s where Wylie Coyote gets all of his gadgets.

Ascend Charlie
12th Feb 2004, 05:27
Snotgobbler, New Jersey
Jerry-Under-Longdrop, Westchester
Waikikamukau (pronounced why kick a moo-cow) New Zillund

answer=42
12th Feb 2004, 05:56
'Pity Me', County Durham
'Old Kilpatrick', which I always seem to get wrong, near Glasgow
Jamblon Fromage, south of Brussels. OK, I lied about the fromage.
Bouillon, on the Belgian / French border
Hell's Gate, NYC
Hell's Kitchen, also NYC

Kiting for Boys
12th Feb 2004, 06:02
We moved to live in Stirling and the kids went to school in Dollar.

We’re not looking forward to the Euro referendum…

Bre901
12th Feb 2004, 06:16
Montcuq, SW France
Pronounced as "mon cul"="my @rse"

tony draper
12th Feb 2004, 06:23
Theres a place called "No Place" just a few miles from me, honest.
:rolleyes:

For prooner who think Drapes is kidding.

http://www.afundit.co.uk/noplace.htm

compressor stall
12th Feb 2004, 06:32
I have rented in both Fannie Bay (Darwin) and Yorkey's Knob (Cairns). Also in Darwin is the suburb of Humpty Doo. ;)

Jerricho
12th Feb 2004, 07:11
I've been camping at Humpty Doo, so can attest to that one!

The Invisible Man
12th Feb 2004, 12:44
I've been camping down Canal Street Manchester !!!

But thats a different story:ugh:

AA SLF
12th Feb 2004, 13:48
S cu n t horp, UK - ain't gonna go there tho ..... Drapes did tho .... :p

Volume
12th Feb 2004, 13:53
You can find an almost complete list here (http://www.i-r-genius.com/rudeplaces.html),

the sign of ****ing here (http://lustich.de/lustich/bilderdb-bilder-2-7.html) (note the additional sign ´not so fast please´) :D

and another nice one here (http://lustich.de/lustich/bilderdb-bilder-2-12.html)

futurshox
12th Feb 2004, 14:02
There's a nice topical place about a mile south of the airport at Austin, TX: Pilot's Knob. All the street names are called things like 'Airplane View', 'Airliner Place'...

A few miles northeast of Austin there's a place called Nameless.

Parapunter
12th Feb 2004, 16:14
There's a hill in Germany called the Wa*k Gliding comps are often run there & it's great to read the straight faced reports tat someone pulled it off on the ...:}

GroundGirl
12th Feb 2004, 17:05
My fave holiday hideaway is 'Cockermouth' in the lake district...:O

Flip Flop Flyer
12th Feb 2004, 17:41
Middelfart - Denmark
Grimsby - UK
Derby -UK
(Ok, for the last 2 you would need at least a passing knowledge of Danish - I suppose the names are leftovers from the days we ruled the island).
Wankum - Germany (as you cross the border from Holland)
**** - Austria
Sengeloese - Denmark (Translated = Bed-less)
Putte - Holland (works best if you speak Danish)
Longyearbyen - Svalbard

spittingimage
12th Feb 2004, 18:18
... and I have been to Twatt in Orkney (Scotland). The airfield there is disused now.

Gainesy
12th Feb 2004, 18:18
Grimethorpe has an air of yuk about it.:(

seacue
12th Feb 2004, 18:22
A few places on Maryland's Eastern Shore:

Waste Gate - about 2 km east of SBY airport.
Basket Switch
Mt Wesley - elevation about 20 feet, a suburb of Snow Hill, similar elevation.
Princess Anne - county seat of Somerset County

The first colonists to Maryland, in the late 17th century, named other places after the royal family of the time, ie:
Prince Frederck - county seat of Calvert County
Queenstown, seat of Queen Anne's County
and there is a Prince George's Cty and a St Mary's County and City..

But the US can't compare with the British placenames.

BTW, IIRC, the town near Philadelphia is BLUE BELL, site of a major Unisys computer plant.

Kolibear
12th Feb 2004, 18:31
Dull, in Perthshire, sounds like an exciting place to live.

Flypuppy
12th Feb 2004, 18:38
The is Twatt (http://www.jetblasters.com/albums/JetBlasters/Twatt.jpg) on Orkney.

Cockenzie in Midlothian, there is a Labia close to Liege in Blegium and a Muff Glen close to Eglinton, Northern Ireland.

There used to be a California micro brewery that made a beer called W_anker Beer (http://jophison.dynamiknet.com/117db49d0.jpg)

They used to sell merchandising with the tag line "I feel like a W_anker". Strangely they went out of business in 1998.

teeteringhead
12th Feb 2004, 19:21
Used to get much childish amusement in Sarf Landan, seeing trains and Greenline buses going to "Pratt's Bottom" (Kent).

Bre901
12th Feb 2004, 20:21
Boss Raptor

You forgot to mention that the complete name of Condom is Condom-sur-Baïse, the name of the river being very close to Baise (¨on the i), which can be translated as fcuk

Send Clowns
12th Feb 2004, 21:48
Not rude, but Water Matrout on the edge of Helston, Cornwall always cracked me up. Even more amusing than Mousehole (pronounced "Mouzell") just down the coast.

Computers in Bacup (near Manchester) might have fewer data recovery problems.

montster
12th Feb 2004, 22:43
Ugley in Essex, home to the Ugley Women's Guild.

Gordon17
13th Feb 2004, 00:26
****is in Galicia, Spain.
Rhymes with Puntis.

newarksmells
13th Feb 2004, 05:36
Try Nothing in Arizona on US93 on the way to Nevada.

Consists of a school-bus and a disused Gas Station as well as a caravan for that extra touch of comfort when the school bus becomes too confining.

Newarksmells

AOG-YYZ
13th Feb 2004, 07:36
Dildo, Newfoundland; Cum by Chance, Newfoundland; Flin Flon, Manitoba; Moosejaw, Saskatchewan; Medicine Hat, Alberta; Rocky Mountain House, Alberta; Yellowknife, NWT; White Horse, Yukon;

soddim
13th Feb 2004, 07:45
A subtle town in UK called Newark is an anagram of:

What tosser had a sense of humour?

DanAir1-11
13th Feb 2004, 15:32
Northern Suburbs of Perth (Western Australia) boasts INNALOO

Also have a place called Koolyanobbing !!

Visited a place in Austria called Scratchensack!!!

!!

MadsDad
13th Feb 2004, 15:47
And in Norfolk you can find the village of Little Snoring.

Which is a couple of miles down the road from Great Snoring.

:D

BlueWolf
13th Feb 2004, 16:01
Not smutty, but worth a giggle; there is a town in Alaska called Chicken.

Apparently, the town's founders wanted to name it Ptarmigan, after the state bird of Alaska, but no-one knew how to spell it.

The clerk at the registry office in Anchorage was having a bad hair day, and he knew nothing of the bird or it's nomenclature.

Exasperated, he asked what kind of bird it was.

"Well, kinda like a chicken," replied the founders.

With a thump of the official stamp, Chicken it was, and has been, ever since.