PDA

View Full Version : WHY MUST I DO MY INSTRUMENT RATING ALL OVER AGAIN ?!!?

ZS-BOK
15th Jun 2001, 14:56
I have an FAA CPL/IR and am in the process of converting it to a JAA ATPL, I understand doing the theory and flight test again to satisfy the CAA. But now I hear I have to enroll in a full JAA instrument course at around 12K, this is daylight robbery. Im quite disgusted !!! When you already have around 70hours instrument time in some of the worlds busiest airspace, why is there a need to start from scratch again, this has to be beaurocracy at its worst !!! Or am I missing something?
I need a drink.....

Gerund
16th Jun 2001, 00:05
ZS-BOK -

South African, FAA, JAA conversion. Hey! What's your game? Give us your story, however sordid.

And yes, it's a bugger. No way around it, unless you have a FAA ATPL. Why not go back to SA, convert to a SA CPL/IR, get a job with one of the operators to build to 1,500 hrs including the night etc time, get the SA ATPL and then you won't have to do the full JAA IR course.

On the other hand; who the hell would want to go back to South Africa?!!! I guess you got out while the going was good. Sensible chap. Sell those Rand short - you know it makes sense!

Ed Winchester
16th Jun 2001, 03:32
Mate, this is JB, who in their right mind gives a flying fark?

Islander Jock
16th Jun 2001, 19:02
For the same reason that women can't go to stonings.

"Because it's written, that's why"
:)