PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL (H)License priviledges Obtained in US?

SimpleSi
11th Feb 2004, 20:39
I am about to embark on obtaining a JAA CPL(H), but my first step is to obtain the JAA PPL(H). As cost is a major issue I am looking to do this part of the training overseas in the US as they are advertised as fully JAA complient. I have heard that the License privilages would not be honoured in other JAA countries, only the CAA would grant this license for the UK only. Could anyone clarify this for me. Also, if anyone has obtained their license using the "US" route I would be interested in finding the pro's & con's of learning to fly this way.

Many thanks in advance.

strafer
11th Feb 2004, 21:02
'JAA/JAR compliant' does not always mean what it should. If the school is not on the CAAs list of schools (on www.caa.co.uk ) approved for JAA PPL (H) then you won't get a JAA PPL (H) license.

If you do get the above then it will be honoured in all other JAA countries and (as an ICAO license) in many others besides.

I'd suggest moving this to Rotorheads for an answer to your other questions

FlyingForFun
11th Feb 2004, 21:15
There is a thread on exactly this subject (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116240) running in the Flying Instructors forum at the moment. It's talking about fixed-wing, but as far as I know the issues would be exactly the same, whether fixed or rotary.

FFF
---------------

Jarvy
11th Feb 2004, 21:20
Helicopter adventures inc. in Florida can do JAA PPL(H) as well as CPL(H). Ex Bristows man George Bedford runs these. Only heard good thing about them.

Heliport
12th Feb 2004, 17:25
It appears some of the 'facts' and/or opinions expressed in the discussion in the Flying Instructors forum may be incorrect.
I'm making enquiries re the effect and privileges of a 'JAA Compliant' licence and hope to be able to give a definitive answer in a few days.

Heliport

fflyboy101
12th Feb 2004, 19:46
I am currently at HAI Florida on JAA CPL(H) course. We get quite a few PPL (H) coming through and don't have problems back home. If you need any more info PM me.:ok:

Martin1234
15th Feb 2004, 00:35
If you are just flying in the US or the UK until you get your JAR CPL(H), you have (almost) no advantage in having a JAR PPL(H) as opposed to an FAA PPL(H).

So, when you apply for a JAR CPL(H) it doesn't matter if you have a JAR PPL(H) or an FAA PPL(H).