PDA

View Full Version : Delta/Oxford/build hours

trini
11th Feb 2004, 19:29
Hi there, I finished hopefully this month my ATPL exams. Right now I will decide between Oxford in Arizona and Delta Academy in Florida to do CPL and ME.
I have also to build some hours before starting the course.
I will appreciate some tips based in your experience? Delta is good flight training?
Could be worth pay more for oxford to have it on the cv?
Where a good place to build hours with a nice price?
Thanks in advanced.
Trini

OneIn60rule
12th Feb 2004, 21:32
At Delta. The training you get is pretty high standard. The planes they use are of course 152's, 172's, Seminole's, Arrow's.
I suggest you take their promo tour for more info.
If you choose this school then I suggest you plan ahead and figure out where you can get the most beneficial lodgings. Delta can and will in all cases provide you with housing if you cannot find any yourself.

I cannot say anything about Oxford since I have no clue about them except that their prices seem to have increased with the years.

trini
13th Feb 2004, 17:50
Thanks OneIn60Rule

I appreciate your lines. As far as I understood you have been in the school. It’s not easy to find students that did the course there, probably because jaa courses on delta are very recent. The prices for CPL and ME compared with oxford are good. Oxford they want the payment in pounds and they didn’t update with the decrease of the dollar on the last months. The accommodation price in delta is not so bad. The only very expensive thing is the building hours. For that I am searching a different place. I saw also on PPrune that it’s possible to build hours in Florida having only an American medical certificate for a good price. Thanks again and happy landings.

trini
13th Feb 2004, 18:59
Thanks OneIn60Rule

I appreciate your lines. As far as I understood you have been in the school. It’s not easy to find students that did the course there, probably because jaa courses on delta are very recent. The prices for CPL and ME compared with oxford are good. Oxford they want the payment in pounds and they didn’t update with the decrease of the dollar on the last months. The accommodation price in delta is not so bad. The only very expensive thing is the building hours. For that I am searching a different place. I saw also on PPrune that it’s possible to build hours in Florida having only an American medical certificate for a good price. Thanks again and happy landings.

leadinghedges
14th Feb 2004, 03:20
Having graduated from Oxford as a sponsored student in 2000
I would say that it is a good choice but airlines have used other
schools in Jerez and Florida. If the school you choose already has
sponsored students in it you should be alright C.V. wise.
It is very important to have a first time I.R. pass as this is
something an airline will pay attention to. You may choose or
need to pay for a type rating so pick your sim carefully, remember
it's your money and you have a right to demand the best for you.
Before you choose a type to get a rating on check the job listings
to see what the most in demand type is. Good luck!.
:ok:

flying sheep dog
14th Feb 2004, 05:10
Using an established school name seems to be a old fashioned idea .From looking around and feed back it seems to me that airlines look for your total hours(especially ME) a bit about yourself (motivation determination etc) and aptitude, also most importantly ...do you have a type rating? so spending your money wisely would be a bonus. Anyone can pay to get into what they may consider a good flying school because if you have the cash they will take you.... unlike Oxford or Cambridge University for example... at the end of the day you either have a ME/IR or you don't. If you can save money to add ratings to this I think this will carry more clout in the industry as it is.

trini
16th Feb 2004, 20:37
Thanks for your posts.
I think that I made my decision. I really believe that the industry is picking up so I decided to do the course in Delta and as soon as possible. Delta I think that could be the conciliation between money and quality. Oxford right now is very expensive and talking with students I heard that when returning to UK to do the IR, the average pass rating is only 60%. The school in Jerez is more expensive than Oxford. Not being sponsored I am trying to make a decision on the middle and Delta has an intermediate price and seems to be a well organized school with a good standard. At least they have all the experience with the American pilots. Also the total amount of hours on the airplane versus simulator for the IR is bigger than in schools like Oxford.
Anyway thanks Leading Hedges and Flying Sheep Dog for your opinions. It is always good to hear different inputs, especially from people that after all the effort is receiving money for flying. All the best.