PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish!!!

Jerricho
11th Feb 2004, 18:42
Went for a trip into the big smoke of London yesterday on the train.

I have never really noticed it before but how much effin rubbish do people just throw on the ground/out the window? It's everywhere. I actually watched one guy try his hardest to stuff his Mars bar wrapper into a space between seats.......when there was a perfectly servicable and moderately empty rubbish bin 4 feet from where he was sitting.

I'm not normally predisposed to these "tree hugging hippie/save the planet" rants, but do people not know what a rubbish bin is used for?

(I'll bet the MIL drops her rubbish on the ground!)

flower
11th Feb 2004, 18:58
I saw something not dissimilar the other day.
Outside my local Spar shop there is a whopping great big bin hence a young lad all off 11 years old walks straight past it and drops his litter beside it not in it.
Now Flower is no shrinking violet so castigates the child to which I received a torrent of " *#!!!%$ " etc .
So as it is obviously the only language the child understands i gave as good as I got from him and one extremely shocked child walked away, but with one finger pointed up in the air towards me.
I'm sure if said parent of the child had been around they would have equally given me the lip that this child gave me, so I really was onto a losing battle from the start.

When asked recently why there were not enough litter bins in a local park the local council advised that the bins are vandalised regularly hence they had to remove them as they had become a safety issue.

We have stooped so low in areas , how can we call ourselves civilised any longer. Yes I know some of you will say my swearing back at the child is equally uncivilised and I accept that but Jeez it is the only language they seem to understand

PS I went back and retrieved the sweet packet dropped by the child and put it in the bin

Rollingthunder
11th Feb 2004, 19:06
There will always be those who don't care. Probably raised by those who don't care.

Lucky here as it's a very clean city relatively speaking. Lot's of rubbish bins help.
Always find it difficult in airports and railway stations to dispose of things. At CDG, had to search for a cleaners trolley to dump some paper. Had a coffee at Didcot and to throw away the paper cup, had to go back to the seller and use their bin, which was a tiny plastic tub. Size limited by security regulations.

under_exposed
11th Feb 2004, 20:54
Its going to get worse. Our local authority will only be emptying dustbins once a forghtnight soon in the lates attempt to be green.
I hate to think how much rubbish will just be dumped in the road.

G-ALAN
11th Feb 2004, 21:13
To be honest at the end of the day the rubbish, wheather dropped or put in the bin, all goes to the same place, the dump!. I think it's far more friendly to re-cycle things. I make a point of taking all my old cans and bottles and papers the re-cycling plant as often as I can. Ok call me a hippy tree hugger but someone has to care, we've turned a blind eye long enough, in a few years if something is not done we're going to have a major pollution problem.

Unwell_Raptor
11th Feb 2004, 21:21
It's that bloody stupid word Cool again. It is, I am told, uncool to drop litter in a bin even if you are right beside it, so on the deck it goes.

And how many of us are prepared to take on a group of teenagers single handed?

Jerricho
11th Feb 2004, 22:23
A little birdy told me (and please PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), but recycling plants in many parts of the world are actually finding it hard to keep up with the inundation they have had with the promotion of "let's all recycle" and end up having to dump some of the stuff anyway.

I also understand that when recycling things like glass and plastics, foreign non-recyclable material (like ciggy butts in bottles) can cause some major headaches.

G-ALAN - I agree with you to a point, however the amount of SH*T (and that's the only word I can really use) you can see thrown on the train lines in and around London has sat there for ages, and it increases by the day. I have never seen so many empty plastic bottles and chocky bar wrappers in my life. Something to be proud of!

Onan the Clumsy
11th Feb 2004, 23:21
I heard on the radio that it 'costs' almost as much to recycle a bottle as it does to create a new one.

However...

They were not really talking about recyclyng. What they were talking about is reprocessing. Seperating rubbish into different categories: glass, paper, metal etc and turning each of these piles into new items of the same type.

Real recycling means you wash out the bottle, refill it and use it again.

This is almost the exact opposite of the system we have in place. A system that will be as confusing to someone from three centuries hence as it would be to someone from three centuries past.

G-ALAN
11th Feb 2004, 23:49
Jerricho
Unfortunately it's true some of the stuff does get thrown out by the re-cycling plants but at least I know most of what I give gets re-cycled and it makes me feel less guilty at the end of the day. I think they employ people to pick up all the litter on the underground at night time, I dunno about the main line railways though.

It would be a wise idea just to cut bottle manufacture and increase re-cycling if it costs the same. The real problem is the planet is over populated and as a result we produce far too much rubbish, who was it said we should all eat one person each? I think he was on to something there :} or we could just eject it all into space or dump it on the moon, either way is good.

Jerricho
11th Feb 2004, 23:51
Thanks G-ALAN! The state of the crap on the train line yesterday, I guess it hasn't been done for a while there!

under_exposed
12th Feb 2004, 00:18
G_ALAN, the problem with recycling glass is it takes more energy than creating new glass. Also the raw materials for glass are not in short supply

G-ALAN
12th Feb 2004, 01:37
Ah I see, I wasn't aware that it takes more energy to recycle. I shall insert foot into mouth. It still leaves the problem of lots of empty bottles lying for centuries in rubbish tips.

Tinstaafl
12th Feb 2004, 04:37
But less energy for aluminium. :ok:

reynoldsno1
12th Feb 2004, 08:40
There's a sign at Brisbane Intl Airport station saying that all the rubbish bins have been removed for security reasons... next to the sign saying Keep This Station Clean.

Windy Militant
12th Feb 2004, 19:23
It does not take more energy to recycle rather than to manufacture new glass. However it is less profitable as to recycle glass you need to sort and clean before use, which is labour intensive. The raw materials used for new manufacture are processed by bulk handling methods so cost less. However quarrying or strip mining for said raw materials destroy an awful lot of habitat that could be saved if more reuse and recycling were employed. Depends which you prefer a part of a percent on the share price at the end of the year or natures bounty. ;)

phnuff
12th Feb 2004, 23:24
In a previous life, phnuff worked for the DTI on a project to recycle domestic refuse - very interesting, very smelly. The process went along the lines 1) Split bags with big screw compactor, 2)chuck waste into great big trommel (a sort of big sieve) where it was split into various sized based products. 3)Paper plastic and metals came out together, 4)remove cans with heep big magnet, 5)separate paper/plastic from nonmetallic metals from paper with air blower. Paper/plastic pelletised and form fuel to power stations/heaters. 6) Putresibles came out together with glass and were separated by means of a thrower device which relied on the fact that glass with a higher SG would be thrown further. 7)Putresibles then digested by anerobic bacteria to produce methane.8) Glass crushed and separated from remaining stuff by froth flotation. The end result was that at the time, more energy came out of the system than went in, and I have two very rare ashtrays made from recycled glass cullet from this project.

I believe a number of recycling projects went ahead, one in Newcastle at Byker (TD, please excuse if spelling wrong). There was also a space heating system in Sheffield which powered the flats to the left of the M1 on the way into town. I say again, interesting but very smelly