PDA

View Full Version : Politically correct

squire
11th Feb 2004, 16:58
Three wise men may have been women - and not wise

11.00pm
The Three Wise Men who followed the star to Bethlehem bearing gifts for the baby Jesus may not have been all that wise - or even men.

The traditional infant Nativity play scene could be in for a drastic rewrite after the Church of England indulged in some academic gender-swapping over the three Magi at its General Synod in London this week.

A committee revising the latest prayer book said the term "Magi" was a transliteration of the name used by officials at the Persian court, and that they could well have been women.

"Magi is a word which discloses nothing about numbers, wisdom or gender embodied in the term," a Synod spokesman said today after the revision was agreed by the Church of England's parliament which meets twice a year.

In the authorised 17th century King James bible used by up to 70 million worshippers in Anglican churches around the world, the gift-bearing visitors are referred to as "The Three Wise Men."

Now they are to be called just "Magi" and no longer gender-specific in the Anglican prayer book.

"Changing 'Wise Men' to 'Magi' seems to be an entirely sensible move," the Synod spokesman said.

The revision committee said: "While it seems very unlikely that these Persian court officials were female, the possibility that one or more of the Magi were female cannot be excluded completely."

There is no theological dispute about the gifts they brought - gold, frankincense and myrrh - but the prayer has been changed to use the word Magi on the grounds that "the visitors were not necessarily wise and not necessarily men."

Synod officials denied that the Church of England, a pillar of the Establishment in Britain, was being seized by an attack of political correctness and pandering to feminists.

The decision was greeted by mocking newspaper headlines like "The Three Fairly Sagacious Persons" and "Is it unwise to call the Magi men?"

Today, the Synod will be turning its attention to "Gender Neutral Titles."

Anglicans are debating whether words like "Chairman" can be replaced at committee meetings by more neutral words like "Chair."

- REUTERS

Stockpicker
11th Feb 2004, 17:02
PCness gone mad - thank heavens the Church of Scotland would never be so ridickerlus!

they wouldn't would they? :suspect:

Jerricho
11th Feb 2004, 18:01
Anglicans are debating whether words like "Chairman" can be replaced at committee meetings by more neutral words like "Chair."

During my limited exposure to University, it was revealed by the Head of Business once to a large group of "PCers" that "Chairman" is actually the shortened version of "Chair Manager".

What next? Joseph was actually female and was Mary's "life partner"? That's why she was a virgin!!?!
(That's it Jerricho, you just keep booking yourself that single bedroom in Hell!!!)

Pilgrim101
11th Feb 2004, 19:28
Load of Sh:mad: e. Who else but a man would rush out and buy crap like Frankincense, Myrrh and 9 Carat Gold at the last minute on Christmas Eve ??:}

TheStormyPetrel
11th Feb 2004, 19:35
Methinks (I love that word even more now!) that if they were guys, the reason they bought the gifts was they were thinking (I use the word loosely) that the venture, propped up by their gifts, would lead to sex. What else?

Panic, can I use the word "sex" without breaking the rules? Quickly Stormy looks up the Jetblast Rules of Engagement: Sex, better practiced than talked about : Hotel Lobby Rules apply to discussing it here on JB. Hmm, so am I in trouble? Apologies in advance to mods if I am.....

topcat450
11th Feb 2004, 19:57
:rolleyes: What is the world coming too?!?

I thought things had hit rock-bottom when schools were no longer allowed to write upon a Black Board, - it became a Chalk Board. (They are allowed to refer to the 'dry marker board' as a White Board though - don't understand the difference myself)

I wonder what'll be next...?

VFE
11th Feb 2004, 20:07
Baa Baa Blacksheep = Baa Baa Mixed Ethnic Race Sheep

:D :) :D :)

VFE.

tony draper
11th Feb 2004, 20:17
The PC nazies have done more to promote racial disharmony in this country than any other philosophy, up tp and including including the NF or BNP.
Three words should be banned from all news media and Television media in general, ETHNICITY, ETHNIC MINORITY and ETHNIC, sorry thats four.
Calling people British Asian, Afro British, Afro Carribean ect ect, should also be banned forever, call every citizen of this country British because that is WHAT THEY FECKIN ARE!!!!!!!!.
I know decent ordinary citizens who have never had a negative racist thought in there heads begining to resent all this ethnicity claptrap be thrust down their throats daily.
We are subject to a constant whine from those purporting to represent the minorities ,we had one yesterday ,not enough ethinic minorities in football management, for **** sake!!
No matter what colour our skin, it needs to thicken up a bit I think, or a backlash will come.

Buggah off Draper yer Geordie bastard. :uhoh:

See that didn't hurt me a bit. :rolleyes:

Bre901
11th Feb 2004, 21:33
Indeed, Mr D, but not all the people have been raised to the sound of :

sticks and stones
may break my bones
but a single word
will never hurt

I guess you may even have some real life practice, there up north ;)

Unwell_Raptor
11th Feb 2004, 21:36
drapes, I can accept half of your description of yourself - but Geordie?

HugMonster
11th Feb 2004, 21:50
Nowt wrong with being a Geordie - he could have been a Scouser! :uhoh:

yellowperil
11th Feb 2004, 22:05
of course they were men; as well as the half-arsed attempts at presents, obviously bought from a petrol station last thing at night under the influence of alcohol; but only blokes would rather follow a star than stop their camel, admit they were lost, and ask a passer-by....

Jerricho
11th Feb 2004, 22:11
Maybe there is something in this "female" thing..............

They had to follow a star cause they sure as hell wouldn't have been able to follow a map! ;)

Stockpicker
11th Feb 2004, 22:17
Nah, Jerricho , they were definitely blokes - it actually took them two years to get there, because they refused to ask for directions.

Jerricho
11th Feb 2004, 22:25
True........and they prolly turned it into the longest pub-crawl in history.

airship
11th Feb 2004, 23:18
If TD were responsible for even half of the current population of the UK, there probably would not be any problems relating to 'racial equality' etc...;) .

I've been reading up about Knighthoods etc. ever since Bill Gates got one. :hmm: And it would appear to be relatively straight-forward...take a look here: Nominate Tony Draper (http://www.cabinet-office.gov.uk/ceremonial/index/nomination.htm) . With all the support TD should be able to muster here, this should be a 'sure thing' for 2005. Arise, Sir Anthony...!

Me next, fair enough?! :O

VFE
11th Feb 2004, 23:26
L.A. County has banned the use of the terms 'Master/Slave' (commonly used to denote hard drive arrangements).

I strongly believe this is a frightening trend growing in too many areas. For example, a book called "The Language Police: How Pressure Groups Restrict What Students Learn" by Diane Ravitch gives example after example of things which school textbooks must not say because they are deemed politically incorrect. If you read this book you'll eventually ask yourself, "Well, what exactly can we talk about?". That's the problem. If the entire world needs to change each time one person (or a small group of people) is offended by some terminology then we will eventually live in George Orwell's nightmare.

Further reading. (http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/master.asp)

My advice would be for those brave enough and in no risk of losing their jobs, to push the boundries wherever and whenever possible. If people allow these changes, our world as we know it will deteriorate into a complete nanny namby-pamby cocoon with all routes of extemporizing our ideas and philosophies extinguished. Logical conclusion.

VFE.

airship
11th Feb 2004, 23:41
Then they should also ban all 'cable select' arrangements. :p

Mac the Knife
12th Feb 2004, 02:09
Presumably the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins (Matt. 25:4) will also have to be revised.

1) We have no proof that they were virgins and anyway, to so define them is discriminatory against the hymeneally disadvantaged.

2) Wisdom is a judgemental descriptor and again, such an arbitrarily division discriminates against the intellectually challenged.

3) Finally, since it is not stated specifically that the virgins were female it is entirely possible that they were in fact male, so to assume that they were female is a serious piece of typically fascist sexism.

answer=42
12th Feb 2004, 07:31
Well, it seems as if I'm in a minority here, since I think PC is OK. To me, it's just a means of avoiding unintentional offence - what used to be called being a gentleman before power relations changed.

On the other hand, I have nothing aginst causing intentional offense ....

circumferentially challenged
intellectually challenged
alphabetically challenged even
genetically challenged
parentally challenged
fecally challenged

You are limited only by your imagination (which is pretty strong constraint in some cases).

answer=42

VFE
12th Feb 2004, 08:20
If someone called me 'follically challenged' I'd probably feel like lamping them. If someone called me 'bald' I wouldn't bat an eyelid. These PC terms are now used inversely to imply intentional offence as far as I'm concerned. :}

VFE.

tony draper
12th Feb 2004, 09:52
Hymeneally challenged thats a good un. :E

Worra bout those four and twenty virgins that came from or to Inverness? one cannot remember whether they was froming or toing now.
:rolleyes:

Tiz 1.45 AM,ones insomnia has one in its grip, one is somnolently challenged tonight.

Slasher
12th Feb 2004, 11:49
Thought thered be a lot more oneuppersonship on the thread!

I thought:

sexualey chalenged meant some bloke wants to shag your woman

verticaley chalenged meant the same bloke is taller than you and wants to punch your lights out for her

fecally chalenged meant your sh!ttin your pants at actualey havin to fight him!

I agree with VFE - push the limits of this PC crap and just simpley state you do not follow it, just as you would any other stupid senseless "New Age" nonsence. Ordinarey people with a brain dont bat an eyelid. In fact they usualey agree.

PS btw VFE you arent very black and white sometimes. I thought maybe we could set up a puter-link Master/Slave arangement with you as chairman (as long as your old ladey doesnt mind!) usin a forum blackboard of sorts and exchange ideas freeley about things like lezzo activiteys and African negros. Hope I havent made a poofter of myself by sugesting it, so please dont throw a spazz! :p ;)

tony draper
12th Feb 2004, 15:52
The rumour is that all pilots are Phallicly challenged and Horologically overcompensated.

:rolleyes:

con-pilot
13th Feb 2004, 00:45
Boy, if I knew what that ment.:cool:

Biggles Flies Undone
13th Feb 2004, 00:56
Oh yeah, TD - the old SW/BW syndrome ;)

Good to see you around again Slash - how's your pork sword/love tunnel interface ratio going these days?

Whirlygig
13th Feb 2004, 01:32
I recently became chairman of a small committee. The secretary (also female) has decided to address me as "Chair" - what am I? A piece of fe*king .:mad: furniture, a fine Thomas Chippendale?

No, I am a chairman because I am human (just) and part of mankind. That is the derivation and it really become ridiculous if we are now to be part of the hu (or hu-person) race

Rant over

Cheers

Whirlygig

Jerricho
13th Feb 2004, 01:47
(I am so gonna get flamed for this but.............)

Politically Correct Women Words
She is not a BABE or a CHICK - She is a BREASTED AMERICAN.

She is not a SCREAMER or MOANER - She is VOCALLY APPRECIATIVE.

She is not EASY - She is HORIZONTALLY ACCESSIBLE.

She is not DUMB - She is a DETOUR OFF THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY.

She has not BEEN AROUND - She is a PREVIOUSLY ENJOYED COMPANION.

She is not an AIRHEAD - She is REALITY IMPAIRED.

She does not get DRUNK or TIPSY - She gets CHEMICALLY INCONVENIENCED.

She is not HORNY ! - She is SEXUALLY FOCUSED.

She does not have BREAST IMPLANTS - She is MEDICALLY ENHANCED.

She does not NAG YOU - She becomes VERBALLY REPETITIVE.

She is not a SLUT - She is SEXUALLY EXTROVERTED.

She does not have MAJOR LEAGUE HOOTERS - She is PECTORALLY SUPERIOR.

She is not a TWO BIT WHORE - She is a LOW COST PROVIDER

:E

Send Clowns
13th Feb 2004, 02:58
Good on you Whirlygig. It grates every time the BBC (which claims not to be political then uses the wrong words simply for political purposes) presenters make this horrible use of the word chair. Shows such ignorance.

Mr Draper - must have been going, surely. They couldn't have found twenty-four virgins in Inverness :8

Chaffers
13th Feb 2004, 03:07
If we took 100 luvvies a day outside and shot the bastids then we wouldn't have such problems.

An example needs to be made. :E :E

VFE
13th Feb 2004, 04:33
You ain't working yourself up for a Micheal Ryan style blaze are you Chaffers? Something you wanna get off ya chest perchance? Before it's too late....... :}

VFE.

Chaffers
13th Feb 2004, 04:34
Just making me list of names for when the revolution comes VFE. :ok:

BDiONU
13th Feb 2004, 04:38
Under Political Correctness women no longer nag. Instead my wife now:
reinforces the values and norms expected in our micro-environment in an positive verbal manner.