PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to stationery

AerBabe
11th Feb 2004, 15:56
Please note the spelling... :rolleyes:

What is it about stationery that makes it so appealing to people? I used to work with a lass who could spend hours trawling through a stationery catalogue, oohing and aahing over the latest design in mouse-mat, or the wonderful variety of pens available. Then, the next day, she'd look through the whole thing again and find more excitement. There was a woman working at my current office too who had a thing about stationery. Most days she'd make a trip down to the store cupboard and come back with pens, 'repositionable products' (aren't most things repositionable?), plastic wallets and paper pads. She nearly wet herself with excitement when I discovered a packet of green staples in my desk.

WHY??? :confused:

DX Wombat
11th Feb 2004, 17:10
Why? One or two reasons spring to mind such as: small things amuse small minds:rolleyes: and too little work to fill the allotted time :hmm:

Jerricho
11th Feb 2004, 17:30
I used to love stationery,

Until I started getting paperclips sticking in my throat. :}

VFE
11th Feb 2004, 17:36
Must say the only catalogues I've ever looked at and got my jollies over are Littlewoods catalogues under lingerie section so I'm perhaps not best placed to comment on this phenomena which Aerbabe describes.

Perhaps these catalogues fulfill a need which might better be served by the mens section of a Littlewoods catalogue Aerbabe? :hmm:

VFE.

Bre901
11th Feb 2004, 18:02
Two words : prairie-dog syndrome ?
Not groundhog ! :O

Anthony Carn
11th Feb 2004, 18:07
I used to love stationery,

Until I started getting paperclips sticking in my throat.
May I suggest that you try a staple diet ?

Oh dear.......sorry. :O

Jerricho
11th Feb 2004, 18:12
I wish I had thought of that!

Guess my brain is just 'stationery' at the moment.

The Invisible Man
11th Feb 2004, 18:54
We have a stationary stationery cupboard at work, although we moved it once!

Its an Alladins cave of pens, envelopes, batteries, sellotape, torches, and most things "repositionable".

I'm drawn to it, not because I want to "reposition" stuff, but I suppose its like the little kid and the sweet shop syndrome. I confess to having a secret rummage through it at least once a day......

I know...... councelling !!!:ugh:

Kolibear
11th Feb 2004, 19:48
It brings an entirely new meaning to the phrase 'rummaging through the secretary's drawers"

AerBabe
11th Feb 2004, 20:00
And... how come I keep hearing about all the wonderful things that will happen to me if I meet a colleague in the stationery cupboard? When I did, he just gave me a box full of envelopes. :{

The Invisible Man
11th Feb 2004, 20:05
Wrong cupboard......

Try mine !!!;)

timmcat
11th Feb 2004, 20:09
When I did, he just gave me a box full of envelopes. Perhaps there were no rubbers.

AerBabe
11th Feb 2004, 20:13
:p

Should I be worried if he says he'll be down in a jiffy next time? :=

NB A Jiffy Bag is a variety of padded envelope. It is also slang for a short period of time.

Windy Militant
11th Feb 2004, 20:41
I'm having a bad day and to make things even worse I've finished my last bottle of Tipp-Ex solvent, the proper 1.1.1-Trichlorethane stuff. :{ Sniffing the tape dispenser thingies they've got instead is just not the same :(

Capt.KAOS
11th Feb 2004, 21:54
I'm glad Mrs.KAOS has nothing with stationery other than losing it all the time. Shoes at the other hand, now that's a complete different story and much more expensive I'm afraid... :(

timmcat
11th Feb 2004, 22:02
Crickey Windy, its years since that stuff disappeared - on the pretext of it being harmful, but more likely a ploy to make us buy more of the white stuff.

(BTW, can't get on with those bloody mouse things, keep sticking to my nose).

Boss Raptor
12th Feb 2004, 00:26
I like looking through the stationary catalogue as well. I dont buy or intend to buy anything I just like comparing products and like for like comparing prices of the 'value' range compared to the branded items - just so if Ii ever need pink paper I know where to get it, keep myself abreast of what staff may be ordering/stealing and value of said items on their desk...as well as a little game of how much I would/could have saved myself if I had in fact wanted to order and chosen the 'value' range :ok:

I go through phases of buying in bulk when I see a 'buy one get one free deal'. I stock years worth of shampoo, toothpaste (22 tubes in the bathroom at the mo) and in the stationary line...Jumbo generic non branded 'Pritt' sticks which seem to last for ever...

I dont pay for stationary I ask others to acquire it for me. Aldi's is good for stationary and Woolwooths is good for cheap paper.

Grainger
12th Feb 2004, 00:43
Yeh, very kind of Tipp-ex to supply it in the special "nasal applicator" bottles for ease of sniffing.

If the stuff's banned now I guess we'll just have to make do with one of those board marker pens - the black ones are best, but the red ones are pretty good too :E

reynoldsno1
12th Feb 2004, 03:26
I disagree Grainger, I'm currently sniffing a green Stephens Super Vivid chisel marker, but I have a blue Sharpie on order ... certainly stay away from those erasable whiteboard thingies, permanent waterproof ink is the bee's knees (though the Stabilo OH pens were a big disappointment)...

AerBabe
12th Feb 2004, 15:50
Whatever happened to the Tip-Ex which could be thinned with water? Useless, as it didn't cover very well and didn't smell as nice.

EDDNHopper
12th Feb 2004, 16:10
After somebody used it as a coffee whitener they decided to cease production.

Send Clowns
12th Feb 2004, 22:29
Agree, reynolds, the dry-wipe markers just make dust and make me sneeze.

Sophie ppruning
12th Feb 2004, 23:17
I love chisel edge markers. It's so easy to write really nicely with them.

I just bought a stapler that handles lots of paper easily. What a relief after all the duds I've had in the past.

Then there's my hole punch. It has a big lever and punches cleanly through big bundles of paper.

I can't stop before mentioning my astronaut's pen which writes on any angle, on any surface, and has a gel grip. It's fantastic.

Chaffers
13th Feb 2004, 02:24
Etscuse me, has eddybody theen my thtapler? ;)

EDDNHopper
13th Feb 2004, 04:57
With me having accidently stapled my tongue when trying to fix a stamp on that envelope I now have started to simply bite hard on the edges whenever I want to staple a pile of papers. Works fine.

I have to admit I love buying stationary. My absolute favorites are pens of all sorts, green or blueish colours preferred.

AerBabe
13th Feb 2004, 15:42
I do like writing with a nice fountain pen on high quality paper. But there's something equally satisfying about scrawling with a felt-tip.

GroundGirl
13th Feb 2004, 18:11
I found my old fountain pen from my school days the other night and it makes a nice difference form the manky bic pens we have to abuse.

Whirlygig
13th Feb 2004, 18:20
Oh yes, there's nothing like a quality fountain pen (or even cartridge as long as it flows properly). You can get some great coloured inks these days.

I have to confess that I have been known to browse the Niceday catalogue on more than one lunchtime. It has to be a quality stationers not like some of the cheap/value catalogues that arrive unsolicited.

My favourite purchase was a wee machine that fires out fasteners that bind papers together. They look like small, coloured bulldog clips without the clip. You can also shoot them across the office - great fun!

How can life be dull when you have multi-coloured paper clips? Little things please little minds ....

Cheers

Whirlygig

Chaffers
13th Feb 2004, 18:26
Happy memories at school of using a Schaeffer caligraphic nib with burgundy coloured ink. My handwriting was actually readable, and eminently presentable, for all of 2 months, though this was all before pens and paper were made obsolete by typing skills you understand.

Can barely write anymore, not so another human could decode it at any rate.

AerBabe
13th Feb 2004, 20:05
Ah yes, WhirlyG, I had one of those when I was at Lexus. In Toyota we weren't allowed them of course.

I'm getting quite into this stationery thing now. :bored: I have a small pot of different coloured push pins and am colour-coding the information on my pin board. :ok: :8

EDDNHopper
13th Feb 2004, 20:33
It just occured to me that it is indeed stationery and not stationary. (Sorry, I am a bit slow today, but itīs friday 13th).

Could somebody please explain why stationery is called stationery?

Hmmm, colour-coding... Now, thereīs an idea for the weekend...

Stockpicker
13th Feb 2004, 23:33
Yeah, it's a slightly silly name isn't it, given that it's one of the most moveable things in the office! (yeah, okay, that would be stationary, I know)

My theory on the addiction thing is to do with delusions of business success - along the lines of "how could I possibly fail to be the best ever advertising executive/accountant/analyst when I have four different colours of post-it notes on my desk? Now I'll be brilliant and efficient" - instead of which, of course, you become less efficient because you're wasting time trying to decide whether the pink or the green is the most effective for the note you want to leave yourself .........

AerBabe
13th Feb 2004, 23:35
Well, that's made slightly easier by the new Post-It dispensers. These come with the option of alternating colour pads. So one note will be yellow, the next pink. Grrreat. :zzz:

EDDNHopper
14th Feb 2004, 00:01
No good for me. I pick colours depending on mood of the day. Not much thinking involved, though, just plain primary instinct, I guess.

I am not so sure about the delusions of success theory. As my colour picking is quite automatic, I donīt waste much time on decision making. Interesting, though, that I can spend hours to decide which pen to buy.

EDDNHopper
18th Feb 2004, 00:56
Sorry to bring this thread up again but I have a new theory which came to mind this afternoon when strolling through the local department store:

It is the smell. Stationery has a very unique smell, a rather distinctive mixture of paper, plastic and what have you. It is a very clean, almost clinical, and remotely sweet smell, or rather a fragrance. Walk through any supermarket or mega-store and youīll notice that the stationery department smells completely different to, say, the clothes or toys department.

Obviously it has been proven many times that humans, too, and especially the female members of our species, unwillingly react to pheromones. The very special fragrance of stationery must be what makes it so addictive.

(ed. for spelling)

Rollingthunder
18th Feb 2004, 01:10
As far as pens go you can't beat Uniball Fine. Effortless, clear and crisp.

Prefer the unique smell of old books to new stationery.

Wonderworld
18th Feb 2004, 07:36
I adore office supplies stores and yes they do have a unique fragrance. When overseas if I see a big place I will always drop in to check it out. Dont know why but have always loved them.
Bit sad really I suppose...lol But each to their own
That reminds me I have to go to Officeworks today to get some rechargeable batteries.
oh I'm a self confessed book sniffer as well !!! :O

Paracab
18th Feb 2004, 07:42
This phenomena is also known as shiny kit syndrome. Its new, shiny and you want it. Its like a free hand in a shop, something which never happens and its the next best thing, so we love it.

Bloody sad though.

AerBabe
18th Feb 2004, 15:47
Oooh... yummm... old books. :ok:
Leather....
Pipe tobacco...

ALL THREE TOGETHER!!! :eek:

GroundGirl
18th Feb 2004, 17:41
Mmmmm....old books, i feel on par with old aeroplanes:hmm:

Chaffers
19th Feb 2004, 02:57
Didn't know you smoked a pipe Aerbabe. :ok:

I reckon linseed oil beats the smell of old leather... Especially when applying said oil to your bat at the beginning of the season...