PDA

View Full Version : Favourite sights....?

swashplate
1st Nov 2001, 16:47
Well I might as well start this one!!!!!! :D

One of mine has to be aircraft lights against a clear, dark winter sky.

Was in a foul mood yesterday, having had 'one of those days' at work. Dashing about, 3 projects on the go etc...etc... :mad:

Left work at 5.30pm to see the most wonderful sight of 3 Aircraft going round the Hold while one headed for Heathrow, just over Kings Langley station. Bloody marvelous!!! :cool:

It really cheered me up for some reason.

[ 01 November 2001: Message edited by: swashplate ]

Mishandled
1st Nov 2001, 16:54
For me it has to be the Tyne Bridge, just as the train comes over the Tyne, and I get my first view of Newcastle, after leaving all these mountains and lakes and things in Switzerland.

compressor stall
1st Nov 2001, 17:04
1. 300 metres of air under you as you hang onto the side of a cliff with your hands, or iceaxes.

2. Standing at the top of an untouched gully, fresh, deep powder snow, the valleys all filled with cloud, sun shining for the first time in days, and your new Telemark skis glistening.

3. Her screwed up face in the throes of orgasm number 4 for the night.

4. A beach having just flown across a stretch of water in a single engine aircraft

5. The sun setting over the Darwin harbour, sitting at the Ski Club, beer in hand.

BlueDiamond
1st Nov 2001, 17:55
A 747 landing.
Kittens playing.
Sunset over the ocean.
Sunset in the Australian bush.
Dolphins arcing through the waves.
A tall ship in full sail.
Rainbows.
Earth seen from space.
Lightning.
Andalusian horses.
First sight of England after the long flight from Australia.

Vortex what...ouch!
1st Nov 2001, 18:08
Have to agree with Compressor stall but only on 2, 3 and 4.

Not necessarily in that order though :)

OzExpat
1st Nov 2001, 18:42
Her knickers next to mine, neatly covering the wet patch...

min
1st Nov 2001, 18:42
Sleeping babies
A ripe wheat field under a blue Australian sky, with the Flinders Ranges in the background
A storm rolling in over the ocean
Paddocks full of Salvation Jane
Mick Doohan racing 500's
Flames of a fire

M.

Man-on-the-fence
1st Nov 2001, 19:10
A hillside in Afghanistan erupting as a B-52 carpet bombs it and the murdering bastards that occupy it into oblivion.

.......or........

Any bird of Prey in the wild. Spent a happy hour last year in a traffic jam through Kissimee Fl watching an Osprey fishing in a lake....magical

sweety
1st Nov 2001, 21:06
I love the sky full of stars.

I love the sight of water drops on his body after swimming in the sea.

I love the sunrise and sunset.

I love the sight of airplane on a take off.

Rainbow and lightning.

I love the waves crushing onto cliffs.

Fireworks.

Waterfalls.

Should I continue? ;)

min
2nd Nov 2001, 03:36
I was sure this thread would be filled with the mention of "Cameron Diaz, Meg Ryan, Elle McPherson, Penelope Cruz" et al.....

Maybe you blokes aren't as predictable as I thought you were??? That IS a worry :)

M.

Travelling Toolbox
2nd Nov 2001, 06:22
I was driving to work yesterday morning and there was a 777 on finals with "it all hanging out" - absolutley magnifico!!

Also last night achieving that Zen state one can only get to doing the pool vacuum clean thing, when my daughter came out to disturb my reverie and pointed to the newly arisen moon - it was the most spectacular shade of red in a clear night sky. Could have been the burn off smoke from the day, but it was still beautiful.

Min Agree about Doohan - Rossi is doing a pretty good job continuing the magic! :) :cool: :cool:

min
2nd Nov 2001, 06:29
TT, it was a tossup between Doohan and Rossi...but I had to stay patriotic :) Of course, the commone denominator between the two is Jeremy Burgess :)

M.

Life of TrollyDollyLover
2nd Nov 2001, 13:52
I have many sights that really get to me, two are of old memories. One of my favorites is on the motorway into liverpool just before Switch Island, written across a green railway bridge in big white letters is "The Pies, The Pies". Absoulte quality. It reminds me of home, and my childhood driving back from my grandparents. If anybody ever painted over it I would be gutted, It must have been there for 15 years. Has anybody else seen it?
Another is the view out of my bedroom window in Stamford of the towns rooftops on a crisp winter morning, very, very cool. Chicks absolutly love it, one of the reasons I bought the flat! :cool:

OzExpat
2nd Nov 2001, 19:37
min...

I was sure this thread would be filled with the mention of "Cameron Diaz, Meg Ryan, Elle McPherson, Penelope Cruz" et al.....

Maybe you blokes aren't as predictable as I thought you were??? That IS a worry ;)

Dunno about the rest of the blokes, but I've never believed in a need to state the obvious... :D But, okay, since you mention her - Meg Ryan ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

4llA
2nd Nov 2001, 20:06
Sorry, the last few evenings it's been that moon
really something to stop the car for a few minutes and reflect on the magnificence of the universe (cont. page 94)...

The worst mix of good and bad was working for 6 months in Feltham watching... and wishing
to quote someone else -
'better to be up there than down here wishing to be up there'

Meanwhile on the subject of the sky - watch for the Leonid meteors on 18 November - promises to be great this year

tony draper
2nd Nov 2001, 21:00
Been staying up all night for the last thirty years in the hope of seeing this meteor shower, or that meteor shower, it allways seems to be other countries that get the main display, or I'll give up at four am and go to bed and the maxima happens at five am.
Never had a lot of luck with meteors. :(

Send Clowns
2nd Nov 2001, 23:53
Mr Draper, try to get somewhere out-of-the-way. I saw the Perseiad shower a few years ago in the Ruby Mountains, the only beautiful countryside in Nevada. We were 32 miles from the nearest town, and the dark skies were a revelation for one brought up in SE England, with the light pollution. Stunning on a normal night, but the night we stayed up to watch the meteors was incredible.

tony draper
3rd Nov 2001, 00:15
I've seen plenty of sporadics over the years, used to do a bit of deep sky work, so spent many hours just watching the sky and guiding the telescope, saw a spectacular double fireball once, lite the whole sky up,and left a plasma trail about 45'degree long, was running a wide angle shot with a camera strapped to the scope at the time and hoped I had caught them ,no such luck.

[ 02 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Paddington*
3rd Nov 2001, 03:59
Looking out at the big, wide Universe, whether from a forest in the Canadian Rockies or the Namib desert.

Sunsets.

The Forth Bridge in the sunshine as I approach Edinburgh from the East.

Milford Sound with water cascading down the walls on New Zealand's South Island.

Looking down at the Mont Blanc glaciers as I fly over.
:)

Devils Advocate
3rd Nov 2001, 06:49
Watching my boys grow.

That said – given what I do to earn a crust - I’m something of a victim of “Morning Dad, Bye Dad / Hi Dad, Night Dad” in that, when I get to see them, they’re usually slipping either in to, or out of, the arms of Morpheus.

Of course the best bit is the unbounded love of a child for their parent – it’s very humbling to be the recipient of such unreserved adoration !

So yep, watching my boys develop does it for me...... uhm, I think I’ll go and have another look at their angelic sleeping faces.

Ps. There’s also a lot that could be said of the view of the dying, yet still incandescent, embers of a log fire as they flicker and dance, almost hypnotically, and especially so when seen from behind a heavy crystal tumbler that’s sporting a good tot of top-notch Irish single malt !

Huck
3rd Nov 2001, 07:17
Girls on trampolines.

The runway environment when it's down to minimums.

Paris from the air at night.

Doctor Cruces
4th Nov 2001, 07:49
Mrs C., sans kit

Doc C.