PDA

View Full Version : Tech Questions

BAC_1_11_wanabe
11th Feb 2004, 08:19
Hi,

I'm looking for additional reference material for the 'Preparing For The Cathay Pacifc Interview' technical questions section. I realize that the answers are supposed to be found in the book 'Handling The Big Jets', however it seems that not all the answers are referenced in that text. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

D.H.

404 Titan
11th Feb 2004, 10:11
BAC_1_11_wanabe

I spent 12 months a number of years ago researching the answers to those questions. Public library’s and the Internet are very powerful tools including a search on this forum. If you still can’t find an answer, ask friends. In all honesty there wasn’t one relevant question that I couldn’t answer using the above and “Handling the Big Jets”. Oh, another point, don’t just research the answers to these question. Do general research on as many topics as you can think of regarding aviation. Hopefully by doing that there won’t be too many technical questions you can’t answer at the interview.

jet4hire
12th Feb 2004, 23:41
ACE Technical Pilot Interview Excellent Book and don't need a 12 month research.
Cheers!
:cool:

BAC_1_11_wanabe
13th Feb 2004, 00:17
Thanks for the information.

cadet applicant
22nd Feb 2004, 15:18
jet4hire,

I'm a cadetship applicant, unfortunately i dont hv any flying experience. I'm now preparing for my second interview, could you tell me where can i buy "ACE Technical Pilot Interview Excellent Book" in Hong Kong? or can i find it in the internet? and will it be difficult to a people w/o flying experience??

Thx

TWApilot
2nd Mar 2004, 11:56
Ace the Technical Pilot Interview is a very basic book -- much, much easier to understand than HTBJ. However, some of the answers in Ace are wrong. So, you'll want to cross reference the answers in the Ace book to HTBJ and any other book on aviation you can find. Even a private pilot manual can be helpful.

You can order all the books online. I used www.aviationworld.net .

Pogie
5th Mar 2004, 14:00
I have to agree with TWApilot about the book ACE the Technical Interview. In my opinion, it was not worth the money I spent on it. It is loaded with answers that are just downright wrong. It should never have gone to print in its present state. Judging by the answers in the book, the author is a 737 pilot for a US Carrier. It would appear that he has never flown a heavy. If you're techical knowledge is weak, or if you do not have any personal experience in transport jets, it may be more of a hindrance than a help; because you might not be able to separate the good info from the bad.

I would recommend having a good understanding of the 'concepts' covered in HTBJ. If you find the HTBJ descriptions confusing (it can be a little difficult to follow), then look for an alternate explanation in other books. I found the book Fly(ing?) the Wing, by Webb to be an excellent book to clarify and simplify some of the HTBJ concepts (especially when it came to such things as climb gradients and ASD/TOD Runway computations.)

XYZ Preparing for the CX Interview is dated -- I haven't heard of anyone getting asked about Omega, dithering, active controls, etc. recently. Know the company (aircraft, routes, history, major shareholders and officers.) Know typhoons, monsoons and the weather in HKG. Know about systems that are used in 'modern' transport jets, such as IRS, FMS, EGPWS, TCAS, GPS, etc.

Take a look at the Rolls-Royce, Boeing and Cathay websites. If you can't find them, well, then you probably shouldn't be working the computer unsupervised.

Know your career path (duh!), your strengths and weaknesses, and why you would make a better CX pilot. Try to smile, be yourself, and try not to rock back and forth in the swivel chair or stare at the floor. Don't be afraid to tell them how much you want the job.

Good Luck!

apollon
9th Mar 2004, 08:50
I will agree with the above statment!
U Must know your EGPWS, TCAS, FMS, AHRS, IRS... in addition
to HTBJ and company info.

wakehead
9th Mar 2004, 22:22
Does anybody know what happened to the website called Cathay Zone...seems to have been kicked of angelfires web.

For the guys and gals who have been through the second interview, can you tell me how long the personal interview is? Do they go into much detail re the AHRS etc or are they looking for a basic understanding. As far as management is concerned, do they want you to know just the top management eg chairman, ceo, cfo, coo etc?
Thanks for any help.
:ok: