PDA

View Full Version : Boston Red Sox

BALIX
11th Feb 2004, 06:21
I'm off to New England in the summer with numerous relatives - the party numbers nine in total. What could be more of an experience of American culture, thinks I, than taking in a baseball game at Fenway Park? "Baseball?", queried the rest of the party, "alright then, we'll give it a go".

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Tickets went on sale a day ago and it is now virtually impossible to obtain any number of them together despite the games taking place on either the 9th or 10th August. The web proved frustrating and the phone was permanently engaged.

The only thing the web came up with was five and four tickets in the 'Upper Bleachers'. These have the advantage of being cheap - $12 a throw - but appear to be so far from the action that they are possibly in Vermont.

Anyway, is there anyone out there in proonland that knows about Fenway Park and how to get tickets? And what about those Upper Bleachers? Worth it or not?

visibility3miles
12th Feb 2004, 02:56
The Red Sox at Fenway is classic American baseball. Fenway is one of the smallest major league baseball stadiums, so there are no really bad seats, except for the seats behind poles of course! (No joke...)

I'm told you can always get tickets from scalpers on the street outside, but it is unlikely you could get nine of them. (It also depends on who they are playing. If they are playing the Yankees you can probably forget about getting enough tickets.)

So, buy some peanuts and beer and enjoy the game.

By the way, 59 N and 10 W -- do you like to tread water???

BALIX
12th Feb 2004, 05:53
Thanks visibility.

I realise that Fenway is a classic ballpark which is one of the reasons I wanted to go. I finally got through on the phone, only to be told that the aproximate wait time was 50 (yes, fifty) minutes. Sod that at international call rates!

So I went back to the web and bought nine seats in the upper bleachers. And if we can't make out what is going on it doesn't matter - none of us will understand what is going on anyway :O I'm looking forward to it, beer, hot dogs and all. I'll probably pass on the peanuts, however. I hate them and they make Mrs Balix fart. :yuk:

As for 59N 10W, if you look on an upper airspace map of the region you might just find BALIX.

av8boy
12th Feb 2004, 06:09
You will not be disappointed in the seats. You did exactly the right thing. Don't worry about being far above the field. It won't matter. I believe you're going to enjoy this.

Dave:ok:

PS You don't have to understand the designated hitter rule or earned run averages to enjoy your visit to Fenway. Trust me.

newarksmells
12th Feb 2004, 06:31
They should have a pretty good team for the upcoming year. However, if they are playing the Yankees, that doesn't count for anything. They are simply unable to beat the Yankees in key games for over 80 years. The Yankees could field a team of high school kids and Boston would find a way to lose.

Lot's of bad blood after last year's Championship Series which featured a bullpen brawl (legal charges pending) as well as Boston's Star Pitcher throwing a 73 year old Yankee coach to the ground during a bench-clearing brawl (different fight)....all in 1 game.

Enjoy. A baseball game is a lot of fun and Fenway Park is a great place to see a game.

Newarksmells

tacpot
12th Feb 2004, 08:18
Don't forget to take some photo id to the game if you intend to buy Beer.

I produced my UK Driving License when asked for Id , and the guy on the bar didn't know what to make of the limp, bedraggled bit of paper I passed over (I stil have a paper UK driving license; pink, worn-out and photo-less). In the end the only thing he could accept as proof of my age was a membership card to a Nightclub in the UK!

Fenway is a great experience. Enjoy.

BALIX
12th Feb 2004, 21:39
Thanks once again chaps :ok:

Alas, the opponents are not the Yankees but the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (nice, snappy moniker, eh?) so the chance of a mass punch up is small. Shame - as a hockey fan I quite enjoy a good punch up :E :ouch: :ouch:

As for photo id, I think my lack of hair pigmentation might just do the trick. The kids can stick to root beer. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

visibility3miles
13th Feb 2004, 00:54
One other thing, parking is hard to find near Fenway (or in most of downtown Boston and Cambridge), and the drivers are crazy, so you probably want to take the subway. It's a convenient way to get around Boston. It's also the oldest subway in the USA, so you'll be getting a bit more history while you're at it.

The Red Sox website says:
"Take the Green Line to the Kenmore stop using any Green Line train, except the E. If on the Green Line - D branch, use the Fenway stop."

The security guidelines say that you can bring small bags that can fit under your seat, but not large bags. And you can bring cameras, but not use them "to reproduce the game."

Have fun!

:O :O

Chaffers
13th Feb 2004, 05:51
I went to a game in Toronto a few years back. Fantastic spectacle, though as the novelty of having beer to drink in a non-cricketing stadium started to affect me I think I might have made somewhat of a spectacle myself.