PDA

View Full Version : Well It's Halloween. Anyone got any spooky stories?

Celtic Emerald
31st Oct 2001, 21:31
Well come on then. I love a good fright beside the one I get everytime I look in the mirror :eek:

Emerald

Biggles Flies Undone
31st Oct 2001, 22:21
Well, there was the tale about the two gay ghosts that put the willies up each other..... :eek:

tony draper
31st Oct 2001, 22:22
Heres a poem for you C E, suitable for Samhain,
if I can find it I'll post the tale of Mad Squire Draper's and his Carnivorous Horse.

THIS ae nighte, this ae nighte,
--Every nighte and alle,
Fire and candle-lighte,
And Christe receive thy saule.
When thou from hence away art past,
--Every nighte and alle,
To Whinny-muir thou com'st at last;
If ever thou gavest hosen and shoon,
--Every nighte and alle,
Sit thee down and put them on;
If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st nane
--Every nighte and alle,
The whinnes sall prick thee to the bare bane;
From Whinny-muir when thou may'st pass,
--Every nighte and alle,
To Brig o' Dread thou com'st at last;
From Brig o' Dread when thou may'st pass,
--Every nighte and alle,
To Purgatory fire thou com'st at last;
If ever thou gavest meat or drink,
--Every nighte and alle,
The fire sall never make thee shrink;
If meat or drink thou ne'er gav'st nane,
--Every nighte and alle,
The fire will burn thee to the bare bane;
This ae nighte, this ae nighte,
--Every nighte and alle,
Fire and candle-lighte,

:eek:

Grainger
31st Oct 2001, 22:38
Edgar Allan Poe usually chills the spine...

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."

The Raven (http://www.student.virginia.edu/~ravens/raven.html)

Even more scary when the Raven has Bart Simpson's head :eek:

tony draper
31st Oct 2001, 23:03
Nah, Lovecraft nobody could write horror like H P.
The Lurker at the Threshold scared poor Draper sh*tless. :eek:

HugMonster
1st Nov 2001, 05:30
Does anyone have access to the "Irish Litany" that contains the lines;

"From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties,
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us."

?

sanjosebaz
1st Nov 2001, 06:41
Hug...
From ghoulies and ghosties and long leggety beasties, and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us!
Did a quick bash of the search engines and it sounds like you have the complete thing there. It's described as either a traditional Cornish prayer, or (perhaps more likely) a traditional Scottish Prayer.

min
1st Nov 2001, 06:58
We don't tend to "have" Halloween in Australia....perhaps because it's a relatively new country, and therefore the pagan rituals that are part and parcel of countries such as England etc have never really taken hold...

I guess that means there is a dirth of scarey Halloween stories, and I don't have to buy lots of lollies for doorknockers... :)

M.

djk
2nd Nov 2001, 14:51
draper, ya big wuss :-)
I'll agree that Lovecraft's stories knocks spots off a hell of a lot of horror authors, especially the erstwhile Stephen King.

The only drawback is that sadly however, no-one has given Lovecraft justice on the big screen.

But if you enjoy Lovecraft as much as I have done over the years, you might want to check out Christopher Moore's "Practical Demonkeeping". It's an abosolute hoot and the only book that I know of where H.P. Lovecraft owns a cafe :)

tony draper
2nd Nov 2001, 17:04
Yeh, got hold of a book by a guy called Cooper or Cowper, it was a long time ago, called The Great White Space,he wrote in a very similar style to Lovecraft, managed to evoke the same sense of ancient lurking horror.
I don't seem to do much reading now, but I did like some of the early Steven King stuff, The Stand,The Shining, stuff like that, he wasn't a bad yarn spinner,not in the same class as Lovecraft.

djk
2nd Nov 2001, 17:22
draper, you might want to check out some of Lord Dunsany's writings. He actually influenced Lovecraft. The only author I've known to come close to H.P is the late great Robert Bloch (Psycho) who wrote a sequel to The Haunter Of The Dark, called The Shadow From The Steeple

Celtic Emerald
20th Nov 2001, 21:27
Thanks guys here are a few true stories

A guy was driving a taxi once when his pax tapped him on the shoulder. He jumped with the fright.

Pax: "Sorry I didn't mean to frighten you"

Taxi Driver: "It's alright. I usually drive a hearse".

Another true story which you may or not find funny depending on your sense of humour.

A friend of mine was burying her granny.
Everything went fine until they were lowering the coffin. Unfortunately the rope broke, the coffin dropped, the lid came off & grannies head popped out of the coffin.

I know, black humour & not everyone's cup of tea but I unfortunately found it hard to keep a straight face when I was being told by my less than amused friend". Sorry!

Emerald

tony draper
21st Nov 2001, 00:07
Found it, pinched it back from another web site.

Mad Sir Enoch Draper of Black Bog Hall was a ancester of mine Mr Z, a evil man,with a glass eye, known for always insisting on his right to deflower all local virgins, and taking all the good bits when the cattle were slaughtered for the winter.
Strangely his horse was even more famous than himself, Grey Bastard, it was called and was the only carnivorous horse known in the land then, and to date for that matter, it fed on raw liver,lungs, intestine and drank blood.
Sir enoch was the only one ever to ride Grey Bastard,for it was a horse of unsurpassed evil temper, and stable boys dissapeared with alarming regularity, but such lads were cheap in those days.
For all his vileness, Sir Enoch was a clever man, and had fashioned a special saddle of cunning design, black powder rockets were installed beneath this saddle and a explosive device placed around the cinche, by pulling on the pommel which in a rare piece of insight he had painted in black and yellow stripes, the saddle and rider would fly off to safety propelled by the rockets.
On a night such as you describe with a thin cresent of a moon and venus lighting the way, Sir Enoch rode out for a spot of virgin deflowering, he was never seen again.
Grey bastard returned in the morning minus his saddle and rider, blood dripping from his withers,it was thought by all and sundry that Grey bastard being hungry had perhaps chased and caught a rabbit then devoured same, shedding poor Sir Enoch with his explosive saddle, search parties scanned the moors to no avail, and continued untill two days later young grog the stable boy began to clean the dung from Grey Bastards stable, and there looking up at him from a particular noisesome dung ball was a glass eye :eek:

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Celtic Emerald
21st Nov 2001, 21:56
Draper

However did I guess that you would be the main contributor to this thread. It must be a sixth sense or extra perceptionary vision on my part or something. How very strange indeed.

Thanks for the stories mate. :D

Emerald