PDA

View Full Version : Paragon CRT and avaition

Capt. Manuvar
10th Feb 2004, 20:15
Has anyone heard of paragon CRT www.paragoncrt.com ?
You wear a hard contact lens when you go to sleep and when you wake you have 20/20 or better eyesight for up to 72 hours. And if your eyesight begins to deteriorate you can wear the lens just like a normal contact lens. The side effect are minimal (similar to wearing a normal contact lens).
It is undetectable. Some people have a negative side to this, e.g. you pass the airforce/CAA medical with defective eyesight without anyone knowing about it. But there is a positive side to it. Those of us who have to fly with glasses/contacts are aware of the discomfort and akwardness.
I know there are some little hitlers out there who will do everything possible to prevent this from getting CAA approval and it probably won't get approval in the Uk till 2045......if we're lucky;) .
But i will like to know what you , especially the medical professionals,think about the benefits to aviators. I first read about this in FLYING magazine a few months ago, so there must be a few people in aviation who have an interest.
Capt. manuvar

gingernut
10th Feb 2004, 21:38
Not much about paragon crt published as yet.

The trials that have taken place, are so far small scale, and suggest that crt does indeed reduce myopia.

However, they can also increase spherical aberation (I seem to remember from "O" level physics that this is a bad thing for lenses), and increase iron deposits in the eye. To what degree these factors affect visual acuity is unknown.

Do the people who promote it use it, or do they wear specs ?