PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't my God talk anymore, or does he?

The Invisible Man
10th Feb 2004, 18:59
Listening to Radio two this morning on the way to work. About 6-30 ish there is Pause for thought" type moment.

The Minister this morning was talking about how God spoke to Jeremiah, then He spoke to someone else. The Bible has many a reference about God speaking to many people.

My question is.... Why doesn't He speak to me, or for that matter anyone else I know ?

There are never any modern day references, as far as I know, about God speaking to anyone recently.

Can someone tell me why.:confused:

Jerricho
10th Feb 2004, 19:17
I heard the voice of God the other day.........

I was sitting on an AA jet. ;)

Unwell_Raptor
10th Feb 2004, 19:56
There are plenty of people who hear voices - they used to think that it was God. Now it's more likely to be diagnosed as paranoid psychosis.

Gouabafla
10th Feb 2004, 20:28
Taking a different line from unwell-raptor (brilliant name - had to think about it for a while).

The traditional Chrisitian view on this would be that God spoke in a special way to people like Jeremiah because he was in the process of putting together the Bible which is his main way of communicating to humanity. Once the Bible was complete, the need for the sort of direct revelation that Jeremiah received was no more.

That being said, many Christians would still claim that God speaks to them today: either through the Bible, through circumstances or more directly.

I'm not a great one for voices in the head myself, but as a Christian there have been times as I've prayed or read my Bible that I've been very clearly convinced that God wanted me to take a certain course of action.

That being said, I think that there is a fair bit of truth in what the poorly bird of prey said. I believe passionately in a living God who wants to communicate with us, but I also believe that an awful lot of what is done and said in his name has more to do with power plays or mental illness than it has to do with Jesus Christ.

Tinstaafl
10th Feb 2004, 22:41
Because we have more Fluphanizine Decanoate now days.

BlueDiamond
10th Feb 2004, 23:04
If such a being existed as the omnipotent deity of popular imagining, it would have no more need to communicate with such insignificant creatures as us than we have need to communicate with, say, bacteria.

Neither would such an entity require my belief in it - or that of any other person - to justify its existence.

Perhaps the people claimed that "God" spoke to them in much the same way that people of today claim to have been abducted by aliens. It gave them their 15 minutes of fame.

The Invisible Man
10th Feb 2004, 23:43
Another thought....

If God sent his Son to save mankind 2000+ years ago, was the world that bad then that it needed saving?

Surely mankind of today needs saving even more !!!

Grandpa
11th Feb 2004, 04:46
, because they thought and wrote about it.

AOG-YYZ
11th Feb 2004, 06:01
I believe God is a protestant who supports Manchester United. My buddy recons God is hiding out in the Afghanistan/Pakistan border region with Osama bin Laden.

Four Seven Eleven
11th Feb 2004, 06:12
The traditional Chrisitian view on this would be that God spoke in a special way to people like Jeremiah because he was in the process of putting together the Bible which is his main way of communicating to humanity. Once the Bible was complete, the need for the sort of direct revelation that Jeremiah received was no more.
Very much like my phone provider, who, having now established their ‘press 1 for account enquiries, press 2 for technical assistance’ system, has deemed that “the need for the sort of direct revelation that Jeremiah received (is) no more.”

Perhaps we just need to find God’s number and “press 0 to speak directly to God.”

Binoculars
11th Feb 2004, 15:36
Invisible Man,

Shhh, please. I'm supposed to be undercover.

Slasher
12th Feb 2004, 00:01
....The Bible has many a reference about God speaking to many people......My question is.... Why doesn't He speak to me, or for that matter anyone else I know?

God replys:

Yeh well its a long storey Invis. You see mate back in AD 0 there was a lot of bad attitude goin down. Bloodey Romans all over the place and people gettin killed dead left and right. Well anyway I sent the Kid down to sort things out, I mean you know....love thy nieghbor and stuff and....well the bloodey Romans bumped him off didnt they! Man was I p!ssed! "Well ****** it" I said, "to hell with humanitey! See if I care!" And that was that....so I thought.

The Kid's mates later reckoned they saw him rise from the dead! Did they report it to the local authoriteys? Did they get one of the reliable Pliney boys to record it in the government Gazette? Did the Kid front Mr Pilate himself? Course he didnt! He wasnt there! Hed had a gutfull the same as me!

Man next thing I know Im quoted as talkin to people of dubius mental repute, and mum was suposed to be talkin to some French chick called Bernadette who mumbled something that a local bishop stated 4 years earleyer and atributed it to ME! And dont even get me started about Joan of Arc, or the auther of Deuteronomy for that matter!

Anyway I had nothin to do with the Inquisition or any of that rubbish (but yeh I did set up "the Company" so yeh I gotta get some of the blame). For the record mate Ive kept my mouth shut since AD33 and let you all do what you want. Sex, drugs, rock n roll whatever. But lateley over the past 25 years Ive done a bit of scientific investigation of myself and found the numbers and evidence dont truley add up, and worked out I dont realy exist except in the mind of Man. I mean one day your kickin serius @ss with miracles and sprukin youll live on after death (all the comfortin stuff people wanna hear), next day you logicaley wink out of existance! Tough breaks but thats whats happenin lateley in the "God Zone" the more you sods discover the Universe by yourselves. Now I know how poor bloodey Zeus feels! :ugh:

Anyway sorrey Invis mate. Wish I was real! Theres a few jokers down there I wouldnt mind havin a nice fireside chat with acompaneying fire and brimstone - that smermey smart-alek Slasher for one. Bloodey heathen atheist! :*

rgds,
- G

airship
12th Feb 2004, 00:19
Dear 4-7-11, you wrote,Perhaps we just need to find God’s number and “press 0 to speak directly to God...

This is your interlocuter at Bombay call-centre, please provide us with your membership no. so that we may further your enquiry!
And please don't vote for any legislators restricting the uses of offshore call-centres. ;)

The Invisible Man
12th Feb 2004, 00:22
Just one favour before you go oh devine one,

Could I ask for one of those bolts of lightening thingies you do.

N52 30 W 02 22 at about 6-30 gmt tonight........ she should be home by then !!

See........ my god does talk to me !!!!

Jerricho
12th Feb 2004, 00:27
While you're at it.......................... :E

G-ALAN
12th Feb 2004, 01:25
I always wonder why Christ appeard 2000 years ago to a primitive society, common some of us were still practacly neanderthals at that time. Why not appear in modern times when we're a little bit more advanced, I mean they never had planes or cars or computers or beer or anything cool back then. I'm sure if he came down in modern times he would be much more proud of his little race and what they've accomplished plus as already mentioned we need alot more saving now than we did back then.

airship
12th Feb 2004, 01:53
Truth be known, He is probably stuck in a lunatic asylum by now, at least if He'd appeared here in France recently. The French have outgrown communism by now. In 2 or 300 years, history may have revisited current events. Fat lot of good that would do all of us stuck here in 2004. On the other hand, what would convince you to 'discard all your worldly belongings to follow me now..." :E

Anthony Carn
12th Feb 2004, 02:45
God ?

I used to have a doG that talked to me........I'm sure he did.

"How are ya, Soots ?"

"Ruff"

:}

Now there's just the other voice...........whispering into my brain......... making me do nasty things........calling me to the light.......... :suspect:

Jerricho
12th Feb 2004, 03:06
I guess we will have to start calling you Son of Sam!

The Invisible Man
12th Feb 2004, 03:12
Could I ask for one of those bolts of lightening thingies you do.

You hit the blo*dy shed !!!:{

Slasher
12th Feb 2004, 10:54
...what would convince you to 'discard all your worldly belongings to follow me now..."

Any gorgous huge-b00bed 23yo chick with serius nymphomaniac tendenceys. ;)

Jerricho
12th Feb 2004, 18:23
And a dictionary! ;)

G-ALAN
12th Feb 2004, 18:27
That reminded me of a classic simpsons episode where Homer is stuck in a 3D world and shouting through the wall to him is Reverend Lovejoy

Rev Lovejoy: Do you see a light homer?
Homer: Yes
Rev Lovejoy: Move into the light homer
bzzzzzzzzz! Homer: arrrrgh!!!! DOH!

Feckin halarious :D