PDA

View Full Version : Work in Africa

freefly_rulz
10th Feb 2004, 14:10
Hi All.

Well, I have been trying to get work in South Africa for the last month, but I would like to know any ways and means to apply for work in Africa - or actually anywhere . I received my SACAA CPL in December 2003 and I have 270 hours, of which 2/3 rds are on C206T's.

I do not know the companies that hire foreign pilots in Africa, but I have already tried Botswana and Namibia.

It would be GREATLY appreciated if you guys in the "know" would just send me some info regarding work opportunities.

Blue Skies,

freefly_rulz :D

flyhardmo
11th Feb 2004, 04:44
Freefly
With a good amount of C-206 time u should get in contact with some airlines in tanzania. Ur time is low but they might make an exception if u can prove urself. Right now is the off season but the busy season starts in may -June. If u can get urself there in may to do the license u might go right. The pay is crap but the flying is fun. Good luck:cool:

freefly_rulz
11th Feb 2004, 13:12
It seems that the "you need to be there personally" seems to pop up quite regularly in my discussions with people.

So I need to go to Tanzania personally and ask for work. What are the chances of getting work via email then? It seems very very slim...

Mmmm, this will get interesting over the next few months.

Thanx for your reply!!!!

Freefly_rulz

austra1998
13th Feb 2004, 20:53
hi,

270 tt its a bit low....i think i'm right if i say to you that you have no way to get a job in tanzania by applying via e-mail.

you need to come here and knock at doors.

and probably go back empty handed.
its hard...i know...but eventualy you will get it...just do not give up.

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Mar 2004, 21:42
Carry on poling the meatbombs until you have more time. Dropping the okes may not put pork chops on the table but it beats paying for hours and you certainly learn things about aerodynamics that straight and level can't teach you. Be patient and it'll happen.

Simmer down, Grasshopper....

Flying Bean
9th Mar 2004, 11:39
FreeFly.

Have sent your 2 x PM's
R U There?

B Sousa
9th Mar 2004, 20:09
SRT Writes:"you certainly learn things about aerodynamics that straight and level can't teach you."

Now there is a truism. Like you know your a student jumper when the jump plane beats you to the runway..... Dumping Meat Missles will build time and you can get some free beer and food from the leftovers after the day is done.

Anyway, above are right 270 is lowtime. But you started a project at zero and you must look forward. Those who look back usually quit.
Suggestions are to find jobs that build time and put some Boerwoers on the table. Instructing seems to be the latest rage. It also gives you good time and keeps the brian active. AND you can instruct in someone elses aircraft while making money. Quite frankly you can do it in a 757 for free if your rated in one. Point being you can build good time and it gives you time to search for that job you want.
Consider that many folks out there have ratings in 747s and are standing in the roadways with cardboard signs. Its extremely tough to find good jobs and employers know it . Thus the pay for the most part sucks. Also you are just one "Piss off the Boss" from starving.
As to resumes and email. I have never gotten a job that way. It has always been placing my face to the resume or through friends in the business. In 34 years of this I can still find a job if I need one. Visit these companies and meet the folks who are doing the work. Someday someone will say I remember so and so....
So I guess step one is to continue on into that instructors rating, and keep knocking on doors. You do it long enough and one will open. If you want to fly for a living you know what is out there. Someone will get the jobs, it might as well be you.
Drive on.....