PDA

View Full Version : UK local geography -- a guide

Self Loading Freight
31st Oct 2001, 17:19
Not sure that this link will work, but it's worth a shot...

Nice places to live (http://www.jump-around.com/tools/place-names.php)

R

G SXTY
31st Oct 2001, 18:13
Don't forget Fanny Street, Cardiff :)

SLF
31st Oct 2001, 19:06
Tried one at random, and noticed that just under Slag Hill is a disused shaft...

sanjosebaz
31st Oct 2001, 22:14
Surprised that Sc*nthorpe isn't on the list.

GROUNDHOG
1st Nov 2001, 03:03
I live in a village called Fulking. The sign there says that about 10% of the time and something quite different the rest of the time.

On changed signs there is also the River *** which regularly isn't.

Go to Littlehampton a lot, makes me feel more adequate.....

[ 31 October 2001: Message edited by: GROUNDHOG ]

sanjosebaz
1st Nov 2001, 03:50
Now that river name is most intriguing! Try spacing it out as in s h i t e :D

sanjosebaz
1st Nov 2001, 04:01
SLF: Did you also notice Slag Hill's proximity to Dirt Pot - now there's an address to die for (23 Disused Shaft Rd., Slag Hill, nr. Dirt Pot, Northumberland) :D :D

Groundgripper
1st Nov 2001, 04:05
Reminds me of a review I saw once of a restaurant south east of London; something like

"Geographically this establishment is situated halfway between Elmers End and Pratts Bottom - gastronomically, it's roughly in the same place".

tony draper
1st Nov 2001, 04:56
Within a few miles of Draper Towers, there's a
Pity me
No Place
Twice brewed
Make me Rich

HugMonster
1st Nov 2001, 05:22
I read ages ago of a town somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the USA, which had a road leading out of the town to the municipal incinerator. Naturally, with prosaic aplomb, this road (which went nowhere else) was called "Incinerator Road".

Time went on, and as it did, the town expanded, and houses were built along this road. These houses were of such character and value as to attract people who were less than enamoured of having "Incinerator Road" as their address, so they petitioned the town council to change the name. The council duly obliged, probably with tongue firmly in cheek, changing the name to "Burnham Drive".

le loup garou
1st Nov 2001, 06:10
I don't know about you guys but I am going right now to Wet Beaver Creek. A holiday you can really get your teeth into! :D

Huck
1st Nov 2001, 06:27
Don't forget Cumming, Georgia, USA, where you used to be able to get bumper stickers that said "We love Cumming!"

sanjosebaz
1st Nov 2001, 06:30
There is a town near San Jose, which is kind of relevant, too.

It's Vacaville (Spanish for ... Cow Town). Maybe this is where the residents of Slag Hill emigrate to? Needs investigation :D

min
1st Nov 2001, 07:10
There is a town near where I grew up, which is called Cockburn, but prounounced Co-burn. I'm assuming this is to avoid offending the sensibilities of its' inhabitants....funnily enough, they were all big butch railway workers, so I don't think they really could have cared less!

M.

radeng
1st Nov 2001, 13:43
near Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire (just down the road from RAF Lyneham) is Old Sodom Lane, leading to Hooker's Gate.

tony draper
1st Nov 2001, 14:39
There used to be a Scratch C*nt Lane in london right up to Victorian times, that was a bit much for those Victorians so the name was changed. ;)

[ 01 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

GROUNDHOG
2nd Nov 2001, 02:43
Sanjose its the River U C K!

Send Clowns
2nd Nov 2001, 03:08
Anyone else who trained in Shawbury remember seeng "Grope Lane" in Shrewsbury?

widgeon
2nd Nov 2001, 07:00
who can forget the wonderful towns in Newfoundland ( and labrador ). Dildo and Come by chance .

HugMonster
2nd Nov 2001, 14:47
In Belfast, a small river which is a tributary of the Lagan is the Forgan River. Now, you may be aware that the "G" is very soft, so it almost sounds like a GH...

"You want to take this road dine here, so you do, an' take the next right over the Foghin Bridge"
"Which foghin' bridge?"
"The Foghin' Bridge, over the Foghin' River"...
Endless hours of innocent amusement...

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Nov 2001, 17:17
....And in Knockin, Shropshire (where there's an airstrip) the local shop is called "The Knockin Shop".

SSD

PaulDeGearup
3rd Nov 2001, 21:01
There is the sign post in Lincolnshire,not far from Coningsby hich reads, following the addition of some grafitti:

"To Mavis Enderby and Old Bolingbroke - the gift of a son"

Doctor Cruces
4th Nov 2001, 07:36
There is a road near Attleborough in Norfolk called "Sluts Hole Lane."

Doc C.