PDA

View Full Version : The goalposts shift so fast its hard to keep up

squire
10th Feb 2004, 08:30
What Bush has said previously

Here are some of President George W. Bush's comments on weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

2002:

BUSH OUTLINES 'IRAQI THREAT,' Oct. 7:

"The Iraqi regime ... possesses and produces chemical and biological weapons. It is seeking nuclear weapons."

2003:

BUSH MAKES THE CASE AGAINST IRAQ, March 17:

"Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised."

BUSH TELEVISION INTERVIEW ABOUT WEAPONS, APRIL 24:

The United States is learning in interrogations and interviews with Iraqi scientists that "perhaps he (Saddam) destroyed some, perhaps he dispersed some" and that "it's going to take time to find them."

AFTER TALKS WITH RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN, June 2:

"We've discovered a weapons system -- biological labs that Iraq denied she had and labs that were prohibited under the UN resolutions."

BUSH IN A TELEVISED SPEECH TO THE NATION, SEPT 7:

"We acted in Iraq, where the former regime sponsored terror, possessed and used weapons of mass destruction, and for 12 years defied the clear demands of the United Nations Security Council..."

2004:

BUSH'S STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS, Jan 20:

"Had we failed to act, the dictator's weapons of mass destruction programmes would continue to this day."

DURING TALKS WITH POLISH PRESIDENT KWASNIEWSKI, Jan 27:

"First of all I think it's very important for us to let the Iraq Survey Group do its work so we can find out the facts, compare the facts to what was thought."

"There is no doubt in my mind that Saddam Hussein was a grave and gathering threat to America and the world. And I say that based upon intelligence that I saw prior to the decision to go into Iraq, and I say that based upon what I know today. And the world is better off without him."

PRIOR TO BUSH MEETING WITH HIS CABINET, Feb 2:

"What we don't know yet is what we thought, and what the Iraqi Survey Group has found, and we want to look at that."

BUSH INTERVIEW WITH NBC, Feb 8:

"I think, if I might remind you that in my language I called it a grave and gathering threat, but I don't want to get into word contests. But what I do want to share with you is my sentiment at the time. There was no doubt in my mind that Saddam Hussein was a danger to America," Bush said.

"Well, because he had the capacity to have a weapon, make a weapon. We thought he had weapons. The international community thought he had weapons. But he had the capacity to make a weapon and then let that weapon fall into the hands of a shadowy terrorist network," Bush added.

- REUTERS

February 9, 2004

Onan the Clumsy
10th Feb 2004, 11:33
One thing that's never mentioned now that the security services are going to have to take the rap for it all is... Well if you were thinking of buying a fridge and your dad used to work at Dixons, you might say "Hey Dad, what do you think about this one? Look it's got ice and water through the door.".

So if you had to analyze and act upon intelligence information that you might suspect to be incorrect, might you not ask a few discrete questions of your Dad...just supposing he had previously been the head of the CIA and all.

BillHicksRules
10th Feb 2004, 19:00
Onan,

Good point, well made.

Cheers

BHR