PDA

View Full Version : Beynes in London?

Jabout
10th Feb 2004, 06:52
I've been told I'm Green White colour weak, (despite the fact I've never had any trouble playing cricket or lawn tennis!).

I would like to find out if I can pass the Beyne Lantern test, without having to do a full medical in Gatwick.

Does anyone know anywhere in London or if necessary the U.K.
where I can do the Beyne privately?

Hell if necessary I'll even take the wife for a weekend trip to Europe - (if it's the only way to do the test)

Thanks for any responses.

Jabout

Blinkz
10th Feb 2004, 09:10
hey mate welcome to the club. I'm green weak too and unfortunatly fail the beyene test, in a very unfair way I personally think, but thats another story.

There is no other beyene lantern in the UK i'm afraid. City uni used to have one for their CVD pilot research but that is the same one that is now at gatwick.

France is your best bet. Its a french lantern and also used by their CAA equivlent for CVD testing. My plan is to hopefuly togo france to get my class 1 (there a JAA state too) and so pass the test!

Hope this helps. Feel free 2 ask any questions you want.

whitelabel
10th Feb 2004, 19:06
M Maybe I can say we are lucky in the Netherlands then.
We have got a few AMC's and they all got a different colourvision test.
It is also possible to do the test as much as you want but the say you didnt pass the first time so it is almost certain that you wont pass this time either.

we got: www.aviationmedical.com
they got the anomaloscoop test in Maarssen(Utrecht)

We also got: www.alc-srv.com
they got the lantern (the little flashing dots red, orange, yellow, blue, green)

And the last one: www.aeromed.nl
The got the old original test. I believe the same test as on gatwick.
the vertical green, red and white test

I believe you can test yourself at all 3 AMC's. If you pass it is great and if you dont pass ask if they will destroy the result papers.

The tests costs about 40 to 60 euro's (30 pound)

And JAA is JAA and it is possible to do only this test. It is valid in england too.

greetzzz

bailey
10th Feb 2004, 20:15
Hey,
There is only one way to find out for sure and that is to call Gatwick and Schedule just an eye test on its own. It will set you back I think about 30 quid. I did it in Sept 2003 and I think that is what it was but can't really remember the price exactly. You have to face it sometime so don't waste money on outsiders giving you there pennies worth. A doc in Switzerland and Dublin failed me before I went for that and I passed where it counted. I found the eye doc at the CAA to be an really understanding helpful guy.

There are two tests btw......the Beynes and the Holmes-Wright. I failed the H-W!!! But passed the Beynes.

The Beynes I found to be quite simple. One word of warning though....take your time at the exam. Be sure your eyes are adjusted to the dark and that you FULLY understand where the lights will be etc etc. I was underprepared for the H-W and it was over and failed before I knew it.

Good luck either way.

BLINKZ: Any luck since in sorting the problem?

Jabout
10th Feb 2004, 21:54
Blinkz, if it's not too painful a story could you tell me what to look out for as regards the beynes?

Secondly, I think the wife would really like a long weekend in Paris - can you tell me more about where you're going in France, are you going soon?

Whitelabel, you're a very knowledgeable chap! Which of the three anomalscoop/lantern/old original, might be best to go for for someone who is white green weak.

My colour vision overall is not bad at all, I have passed the Giles Archer lantern several times.

Bailey, you're pretty brave to keep going for it, if you had of been prepared for the H-W would you have said it was easier or harder than the Beyne?

Can I also ask what colour weakness you have? Is it white green?

Thanks to all 3 of you for your responses and good luck to each of you.

bailey
11th Feb 2004, 01:51
To be honest, I don't know which it is. Slightly colour blind was the way it was worded. I never delved too far into it. All I care about is Colour Safe on the Medical!!!

If you need any info just PM but as I said ..... there is nothing you can do about it either way so just go to Gatwick and put your mind at ease one way or the other. It doesn't matter a bit what any other doctors think or say. The CAA is where it is at!

Good luck,
Bailey

Glom
11th Feb 2004, 02:06
bailey, when I did the test, I was told in no uncertain terms that I'd never be retested on it. Were you told the same thing? And if so, do you believe them?

bailey
11th Feb 2004, 03:24
Yup. One test and after that it is only regular vision tests and not Colour Vision. I do believe them. Now if I was to let my medical lapse and have to retake an initial then I would have to most probably do another Colour vision test.

Hopefully that won't happen!!!

Bailey

Glom
11th Feb 2004, 05:23
That makes me feel a bit better. Thanks.

egbb_2004
12th Feb 2004, 15:14
If i passed my Beynes Lantern test and the rest of my medical in the netherlands could I then go to spain and train on an Ab Initio ATPL course since i have heard that I have to do my initial medical in the country where I am training

Blinkz
12th Feb 2004, 16:47
I don't know about spain but this is what the UK CAA have to say about it

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=2576

Basically if you have a JAR Class 1 the UK will let you train. :)

egbb_2004
13th Feb 2004, 01:33
Hi Blinkz I sent an emasil to the aeromedical centre in Holland to see if they have the Beynes Lantern there and they do. They also told me that I had to do the test in Spain if I wanted to do ATPL from scratch. Do you think they would retest me at Gatwick non officially just to let me have a go with the lantern because I want to try it out before I go to Spain and hopefully pass it there.

egbb_2004
13th Feb 2004, 04:50
Hi pressman,

just looking at the pdf on the JAA Website but can't seem to see the part which you refer to. Could you give me a pointer?

Thanks

eggb_2004

egbb_2004
13th Feb 2004, 16:29
Hi Pressman Are you doing your AB Initio Course in Belgium with a UK Class 1 ? If so what did they say that it was a problem then you told them about the new JAA reg's or what?

whitelabel
23rd Feb 2004, 20:05
The best option is definitly the anomaloscope test.
It's is
the onley test that show's how much you are colour defective.

it is a test with no time limit.
You can turn the knobs as long and much as you want before you
confirm.
m v g