PDA

View Full Version : Visa for flighttraining in US

sharksucker
10th Feb 2004, 05:14
Hi there!
Planning to go to California in April to do my FAA CPL (currently holding JAA CPL frozen ATPL) with Air Desert Pacific.
O.k.: I know I will need to apply for a M1 visa to do the training there..
But: I am also planning to join a first officer program with Alpine Air directly after issuance of the FAA CPL.
The program will include also a type rating for the B 1900 and of course some flying in aircraft with MTOW >12.500lbs. Furthermore it will be another trainingfacility then Air Desert Pacific (in this case Alpine Air).
Now my question:
I was being told to apply for the M1 visa via ADP and when visa issued to inform Alpine that they can start the backgroundcheck because of flying ac >12.500lbs.

Is this really possible to do both trainings in a row on the same visa? Or do I have to apply for a new visa for the part with Alpine?

Thank you for any comments

Ninety-Nines
10th Feb 2004, 21:29
The first visa that you need is from the school that you going to for the FAA CPL.

When you move to Alpine Air you will need to transfer your visa to their school. The first school will start the transfer by transferring you out in the Sevis system, then the new school will transfer you in. The process takes about 2 business days to complete.

The background check can take up to 45 days and therefore I recommend that you complete this asap.

Have fun!

sharksucker
10th Feb 2004, 23:18
will post on this topic when I need further information.
thank you so far, your reply gives me now an idea, how it works!
sharksucker

Charlie Zulu
11th Feb 2004, 01:18
Hi All,

There hasn't been much information in regards to adding a type rating to an FAA CPL/IR (or ATP).

Wouldn't mind some feedback on the background checks and visa application process in adding an aircraft with an MTOW > 12,500 lbs to an FAA certificate in the USA (in particular a Citation, not this year but probably summer next year).

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

skyman68
11th Feb 2004, 06:42
what you do is not only a training but you will work and you are not eligible for employment under a M1 visa.

check twice with the immigration, you could be deported if they find you to work and in fact the company tries to hire you under a M1 visa.

what alpine air does is illegal.part 135 flights are commercial flights, not flight training.