PDA

View Full Version : PPL Aircraft Tech NZ qeustion

rottenlungs
10th Feb 2004, 03:09
Hi all

I have got my NZ PPL Aircraft Technical exam today and was wondering if I would need to bring my e6b computer for it? I notice that electronic calculators are prohibited and doing w&B calculations requires a bit of arithmetic?

As a newbie, any guidance would sure be appreciated.

Thanks

Lungs

kavu
10th Feb 2004, 07:04
If you know how to use it then take it along.

rottenlungs
10th Feb 2004, 09:39
Good point, Kavu. I had forgotten the damn thing when went to work this morning. I picked it up on the way to the test centre just in case.

I was expecting some w&B questions which might require multiplication / division. Turns out the only maths type question was "How much does 60 Litres of avgas weight (s.g 0.72)?" which hardly requires a calculator of any kind.

I still can`t understand why electronic calculators are not permitted. Surely the likelihood of the batteries going flat at a crucial moment is no bigger than the risk of the rivet falling out the middle of the e6b??

Cheers

Lungs

nike
11th Feb 2004, 11:16
I guess its not really about whether using a calculator to answer the question would be better or quicker.

And yes, you are right about batteries etc. But then there really would not be a time where you would whip out either of them in flight anyhow.

Think..... 'wax on, wax off'.

Using a nav computer for various calculations may seem antiquated but I think eventually it does get you approaching certain problems, arithmatic or other in a particular way.

Reading back over this post it sounds lame, but understanding that ****ty piece of tin is part of becoming a pilot. Whether you like the thing or not, you have to say the guy who built it must have been just a little bit switched on.

Tinstaafl
11th Feb 2004, 22:07
I use my whiz wheel all the time. Lots of problems can be solved quicker with it than with an electronic calculator.

I use a Jep. CR5. Quite small, fits in a shirt or jeans pocket.

rottenlungs
12th Feb 2004, 05:15
Hi there.

Thanks for the input.

Your right in saying that problems like Wind vectors and waypoint times can be solved more rapidly on the wheel than an electronic calculator (though I`m still getting to grips with these functions being a total newbie!). The extrapolating time to waypoints based on setting one time looks very useful. However, for Weight & balance problems (as in the Air tech exam) an electronic calculator would have been easier and quicker..

Nike, you`re absolutely right - whoever designed the e6b must have been seriously clued up as regards aviation & maths and, as you say, I have to learn how to use it whether antiquated or not.

Cheers all

Lungs

Black Baron
12th Feb 2004, 16:19
Hello Rottenlungs,
Best of luck learning to fly, very nice way to see NZ.
During my PPL, I used to think the Nav Computer was a piece a of junk. But the more I have learn't about aviation the more I understand how brilliant it is.
It really is the most incredible device, once you make it your friend. Learning how to use it is hard, but once you have it sussed, it can replace an electronic calculator and a whole book full of conversion factors, and that's just the front side.

Nothing wrong with getting the old mental arithmatic going either, I'm lucky, I used to work in a pub in London.
:ok:
Hope you passed your exam

Horse Nuts
16th Feb 2004, 09:46
The way ASL work is beyond anybody.

For PPL and CPL exams only the non-electronic type calculator can be used. However for ATPL exams an electronic calculator can be used.

Now saying that I bring up the next point. When trying to find the answers to ASL questions and imagine that you're flying at the same time then how on earth can you do two things at once?

Try working out the wind and and drift on the old E6B, drawing in the lines and stuff with one hand and flying the plane with the other.

Or working out time to next waypoint with a new wind component.

This is very easy on the ground but up in the air it's all mental arithmetic. Learn to do it in your head.

However the point I wish to make is this.

When you start off flying they give all these questions that you have to do without an electronic calculator. When you get a job which has an autopilot or even another pilot you can use for your exams an electronic calculator.

I think they are trying to get people to learn how to use the calculator E6B so they can then learn to forget how to use them. Like if your electric calculator battery fails then you have the backup of the old E6B.

ASL are basically wombles.

dwnunderblunderer
24th Feb 2004, 16:55
Like someone said, its all part of becoming a pilot.
The trick to ASL exams is to not let the bastards bet you. We know they load one or two questions to get that extra few re-sits, so make sure you know your sh*t before hand. good luck fella, go hard and don't even think about anything other than the oldschool way of learning to fly. too many softcocks slipping into the system.

rottenlungs
29th Feb 2004, 06:02
Hi all

Passed the exam, thanks, Black Baron. Just four more to go now!

Horse Nuts - take your point about trying to find the answers and fly at the same time! When my instructor hands me the map and says "You tell me when we`re at the MBZ boundary" I tend to forget to steer the damn machine. I can see myself flying into a hillside as I spin my e6b!

Thanks for the all the input guys.

Lungs

PS - it sure is a great way to see NZ, though at this stage in flying I don`t seem to get much time to enjoy the view..

nike
29th Feb 2004, 15:52
Good work mate!

I have not been involved in flight training for a few years now but I must say that I enjoyed the time I spent in that environment. I enjoyed working with the 'part-timers' so much more than the full time wannabes. They seemed to realise and appreciate the whole game a bit more. Spend a bit of time shooting the breeze chatting about flying or other stuff, enjoying being out at the field as apposed to wanting to go home as soon as the required briefs or lectures or sorties were completed.

We had a great little social club which organised trips away with the part-timers at weekends etc and those were some of the best times I had.

Good luck with your training. I am sure you will attain your goals and have plenty of fun along the way.