PDA

View Full Version : Firewalls

BALIX
9th Feb 2004, 21:01
One of the perils of being with Freeserve is that their multiple e mail address system results in me getting piles of my doom viruses in my inbox every morning. Norton captures them and quarantines the virus and I immediately delete the rogue e mail but it is getting to be a pain in the arse.

Anyway, I should, apparently, have a firewall enabled on my internet connection but I don't. I've found out how to do it but I'm curious to know just what will happen if I do. Will it block e mails, be they rogue ones or not. Will it stop me from prooning?

Keef
10th Feb 2004, 03:28
Yes, you absolutely should have a firewall. ZoneAlarm is free and effective. It won't block viruses - for that, you need an anti-virus package - AVG is free and excellent.

No, the firewall won't stop you Prooning, once you've told it about PPRuNe.

goates
10th Feb 2004, 06:03
To be even more accurate, a firewall will not stop a virus from running, but it could stop it from getting off of your computer if you do get one, especially through email. When you install ZoneAlarm, it will try to automatically configure itself for common internet apps found on your computer, such as IE or Outlook. As Prooning is just using your web browser, once ZoneAlarm knows about it, you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

If all new users were smart enough to at least come and ask for help, then you would never hear of virus outbreaks, because they wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as they are. :D

goates

reracker
10th Feb 2004, 06:59
For your own piece of mind, go to the site grc.com and run a little application from there called 'shields-up'.

Then go to zdnet.com download and install zonealarm and run 'shield-up' again and see how vulnerable your computer is without a firewall.

:ok:

BALIX
10th Feb 2004, 15:35
Thanks chaps.

I've now enabled the firewall that comes as part of Windows XP and as far as I can see it makes no difference to the actual running of the system. Hopefully it will prevent anyone gaining remote access to my system.

IFTB
10th Feb 2004, 18:23
Hi BALIX, how's things?

When you enable the XP firewallyou will find a small popup killer enabeling 'thingy' at the bottom of web pages. If you enable that it will very effectively kill pop-ups.
Not bad at all, Mr.XP's defence systems.

In addition, ZoneAlarm and SpyBot are to be recommened. They come free and add a bit of additional security. (See sticky thread on the Forum)

Cheers,

IFTB
(stiil up late sometimes to watch NHL)

BALIX
10th Feb 2004, 18:40
Hi IFTB

I've already got Spybot and pop-up stopper so hopefully I'm pretty well protected. It's amazing the number of cyber-condoms you need :ok:

Oh yeah, and I watch NHL as well. Still rather see live hockey down the Centrum, though :{ :{ :{

10th Feb 2004, 20:51
reraker

I browsed past www.grc.com and it was scary. These guys knew my PC's name, my IP number, my MAC number and goodness knows what else they didnt tell me!!
How do I close port 1025? It says its a microsoft port named "Black Jack".
Tks

amanoffewwords
10th Feb 2004, 21:25
I did the grc test but like the Symantec equivalent my Belking router passed with flying colours - except for pings but I can live with that.

amofw

Ausatco
11th Feb 2004, 17:32
Ditto my new D-Link 604+ :D

Old technology, I know, everyone's into 11g these days, but D-Link's enhanced 11b works for me and my household. And 'cos it's old, the run-out specials are good :D

AA

goates
11th Feb 2004, 22:15
BALIX - You should really get ZoneAlarm or another 3rd party firewall as the XP built in one does not stop anything from getting out of your computer only onto it, at least not until Windows XP Service Pack 2 comes out this spring or summer. Many viruses these days will get onto your computer through email or a security hole in Internet Explorer and then go and download more malicious software, or start attacking other computers. To see what I mean, go to the link 126,7 posted and look for the leak test.

goates

Mac the Knife
12th Feb 2004, 01:30
I was just going to post when goates said it for me. XP's current firewall won't stop your PC acting as a zombie. ZA is really pretty good in spite of it's occasional fits of irrationality.

No doubt SP2 will break as much as it fixes but so it goes....

phnuff
12th Feb 2004, 20:57
On the subject of firewalls, I have always been a big zonealarm fan, however I have now found another free one called Kerio which actually seems a bit better and gives more information (should you happen to want more information)