PDA

View Full Version : converting australian atpl to uk

WORKISUPNORTH
9th Feb 2004, 07:27
G'day Guys and Gals,

Looking at changing my Austalian ATP to European. Is this at all possible without doing thousands of dollars worth of flying?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.:ok:

AerocatS2A
9th Feb 2004, 11:03
I'd suggest you contact CASA and ask them. You should also contact the NZ CAA and see what is required to convert from a NZ ATPL to a UK ATPL. It is a simple paperwork exercise (no flying or exams required) to convert your Aus ATP to a NZ ATP and the NZ one may be easier to convert to UK.

VIRGA
9th Feb 2004, 21:39
Depends on your hours and the a/c you have been flying. Basically if you don't have 500 turbine multi crew over 19000kg (I think it was) you're outa luck.

I'm just starting a conversion now.

Best person to PM is REDSNAIL, she knows it all. Or even better ring the Brit CAA. I had some luck and got through straight away. Everything I wanted to know was emailed to me.

If you decide on starting give me a yell, it's always hard to find other people here studying the same stuff.

Good luck with your decision..:ok:

redsnail
10th Feb 2004, 04:33
workisupnorth,
Ummm, unless you have something the airlines here really really want, then the answer is more than likely no.
There's 2 ways you can go. If you have +1500 hours in command in +30tonne aircraft in primarily international ops and the like then you can get the UK ATPL. That involves 2 exams (See Bristol Groundschool for that) and a check ride in the aircraft you have the time in. eg 737 sim etc. Note, the check MUST be done with the CAA observing. It'll cost ~ 600 pounds for the CAA alone.
Now if you are a mere mortal have time on smaller aircraft eg Bandit or Dash 8 (or FO only time in th 737) then you have to do the 14 JAR exams (see Bristol for them), and some flying.

If you have +500 hours on a JAR 25 aircraft (eg Dash 8) then find a sim, get some practice up and do the check. (Again, the CAA must observe) If your hours are made up of multi crew flying on Bandits and the like then you have the option of doing a type rating on a JAR 25 aircraft, eg Shorts 360, ATR, 737 etc and the observed check with the CAA.
The other alternative is the abridged 15 hour min IR on a Seneca and the like. You won't be issued with an ATPL, just a CPL.

Now, the CAA have all this online at their website. Look up "LASORS" and check it out. It's a minefield but you'll get the hang of it.
For JAR info, you'll have to go to the JAA website. It's much harder to navigate around.
Also, your medical can only be done at Gatwick, I think the current fee is around 200 quid in your case.