PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft down in Lake

Ang737
9th Feb 2004, 05:06
Sad day over the weekend to hear a family all killed in a crash when there piper cherokee hit power line and went into a lake. Condolences to family and friends...:( :( :(

PBC
9th Feb 2004, 16:59
Anyone know what happened...... why were they low enough to hit a power line on a CAVOK day??

vee1-rotate
9th Feb 2004, 17:30
Apparently it was doing "low-level" (aka less than 500ft AGL) sighseeing over Lake Eildon.

QNIM
10th Feb 2004, 05:56
Gday

If they hit the cables that Im thinking of they stretch over both arms of the lake from hill to hill quite high, I remember a friend many years ago seeing them from below on his second run along the lake, he contacted the then sec who placed markers on them.I didn't see any markers on the news last night.
The older I get the higher I fly.

Q :(

Capt Claret
10th Feb 2004, 07:24
A news report over the weekend, on the ABC I think, suggested that the power lines were 40m AGL and that aircraft were required to be 150m AGL at least.

If I remember correctly the powerlines spanned the weir on the Jamieson side of the spillway, not too far away.

compressor stall
10th Feb 2004, 07:31
Yes, they are the ones in my mind as well Capt.

Remember sitting in a boat saying to myself...ewwwww they would be hard to see....

:( Very sad indeed.